Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On January 3, I destroyed my 2002 G1 CVT Insight. I documented it in the "What did you do to your Insight thread". I had installed a new Bubble Bee battery in early 2017 I believe. I was able to remove everything out of the battery compartment before the vehicle was sold for scrap and is stored in my garage.

Tomorrow I'm picking up a 2006 MT Insight. The IMA in the car is working as it should presently. The age/condition of the IMA battery is unknown. I've read NiMH batteries can be stored for long periods and reanimated by several grid charging/discharging cycles. I've also read there is a continuous leakage of hydrogen gas over the life of the battery that reduces the energy capacity. It makes since that I should install the known newer battery and store the unknown battery but not really sure. Of course the goal is to have a good battery that can be installed in the vehicle for as long as possible.

Question:
Should I install the known newer IMA battery in the vehicle and store the existing unknown age/condition battery or vice versa?

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
I think you'd probably want to install the bumblebee battery - to maintain the warranty(?). If you let it sit, time will pass and the 3 or so year warranty will disappear, right? On the other hand, 3 years is next to nothing, so it's not much of a warranty to try to hang on to... On the other other hand, there's been quite a few aftermarket packs failing, so who knows, you might really need that warranty... If I had any more hands I could probably come up with other ideas...

Oh, I wouldn't worry about storing the OEM pack, don't let that deter you. It should be fine if/when you need it, assuming it's fine now...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should probably just sell the unknown battery. More than likely the B.B. battery will outlast my need for the car or perhaps me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
https://bumblebeebatteries.com/warranty/

"The vehicle containing the BeeMax™ or BeeLine™ battery must be operated for a minimum of 30 minutes every 21 days"

"The warranty covers failures during normal vehicle operation only. Failure due to damage from accidents, water damage, extreme temperature conditions, excessive use, longer than thirty (30) days of non-operation, customer modifications to the vehicle’s electrical system, or acts of God are not covered."

"While going around a curvy hilly road, right front tire left the road then wheel pulled hard to the left, vehicle then left the left side of the road and down the wooded embankment before coming to a stop about thirty feet in. Car is destroyed. Back to driving my gas hog Nissan Frontier truck until I can locate another Insight. "

Given the severity of your accident, I don't think it's reasonable to expect any kind of warranty.

Again, ask BB

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since I only purchased the sticks , there isn’t a warranty. The car didn’t have rear end damage and the battery is fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
Since I only purchased the sticks , there isn’t a warranty. The car didn’t have rear end damage and the battery is fine.
I don't think you can say that. It may very well be true, but the description of the incident implies the car was subjected to a lot of force. Think about concussion - no visible external damage, but brain injury inside the skull due to sudden stoppage.

Without disassembly of the pack and inspection of the sticks with the shrink removed, you're just guessing. Got any cracked spot welds?

Again, ask BB.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts