Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Assume for a moment that I want to verify the correct plugs are in the correct sockets. There are different spark plugs for each of the 3 cylinders on the Insight. Are there etchings on the engine telling me which ones go where? Also, what are the physical differences in the plugs that actually make the diference? I am going to check mine, for lack of Oomph and I want to be sure everything is as it should be.

·
Registered
408 Posts
It's not very easy to verify what plugs you need. The letters are stamped onto the block next to each plug hole. The problem is that there is a large plastic thingamajig that sits on top of the spark plug and it covers the letter. It's not like on normal cars where you can just pull the wire off the spark plug. I believe there are some screws that hold it down (I haven't changed my plugs yet so I don't know exactly how it works). Each plug is manufactured so when it is torqued exactly to spec, the electride will face the direction that yeilds maximum combustion.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
torqued or not?

I had a mechanic fomr a honda dealership, Jack you know him, look at the plugs. he didn't torque anything. Maybe it just relates to where the threads end in relation to the gap-end angle when tight. They didn't torque anything

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
"Precision" torquing of the spark plugs will have _NO_ significant impact on the proper orientation of the plugs ground tang.

Otherwise its sufficent to "torque" tight enought that it won't loosen nor so tight that threads are damaged.

But if your elbow ain't calibrated then you'd better get out that torque wrench :!: :p

HTH! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts