Honda Insight Forum banner

Which Way to Turn This Bolt?

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  originalbadbob 
#1 ·
I need to remove the crank pulley. Can someone with a service manual tell me if the big bolt holding it on has standard threads - i.e. not left handed (reverse) threads? I ask because I have the belt off and have tried to turn the thing, but it won't budge. Before I exert too much force (I have a very long handled half-inch-drive socket wrench), I want to double check.

Thanks,
---
Steve

#2 ·
It does not say. They show that you need a long handle wrench.

Also they use an inverted socket (called a holder-attachement) to hold the pully while you apply force. Yopu might not need it if you have something to fit in the pully hole and to hold it from turning.

To tighten back, they say to put 14 lbf-ft and then turn 90 degrees more.

#3 ·
Thanks for checking, Yves! Since it doesn't specify, it's probably safe to assume it's a standard direction thread. I figured there was probably a special tool to go in the holes and hold the pulley. I've rigged something to hold the pulley while I turn the bolt. I'll see what happens when I really torque on the thing. :wink:

---
Steve

#4 ·
Its a regular type of bolt. Best way to "unscrew" it is to put the vehicle in low gear and "loosen" the bolt. If it's a CVT, can't help you.

#5 ·
Thanks, Willie. Yeah, if only I could get under the darn "low rider" while it's on the ground. And I can't drive it up on ramps because it sits so low that the front of the vehicle hits the ramps before the tires do! Thus, I have to jack it up using the jack points and then put stands under the frame for extra assurance. Of course, that means the front wheels are up in the air, so turnin the bolt with it in gear just turns the wheels. Previously, I've extended the ramp to reduce the angle using a couple short sections of 2" x 8" wood. But it's already raised now, and I think I have a system that'll work to loosen the bolt. I'll take a pic if I remember to. Dang, that bolt is really on there! I'm afraid I'm going to bust something. I keep mentally checking to make sure I'm turning it the right way. :?

---
Steve

#6 ·
Generally, left hand thread bolts have a notch in the corners of the sides of the hex of the head of the bolt.

robert

#7 ·
I struggled with massive wrenches to get the bolt off my CRX about 10 years ago. I took it to the local garage. He had it off using an air powered impact driver in about 2 seconds. If I recall correctly he was not going to charge me but I gave him 10 dollars. He put it on loosely so I could drive home.

Please be carefull under the Insight!

#8 ·
b1shmu63 said:
He had it off using an air powered impact driver in about 2 seconds.
Holy cow! I forgot that I HAVE an impact wrench! Thanks for reminding me! I've never used it. I got it along with my air compressor a few years ago. I think it requires special sockets, but I might be able to justify the expense for this job.

Thanks,
---
Steve

#9 ·
Impact driver sockets are thicker walled and generally not chrome plated but you can use a regular 1/2 inch socket. Make sure that you have plenty of pressure for the tool or it won't do a thing except make a lot of noise.

#10 ·
If you have to buy a socket, get the impact socket, but make sure there is clearance for it since they are thicker. They are not hardened like the chrome sockets so are less likely to crack or break. The impact gun is very hard on the chrome socket on the drive side. I've used both, but if you have space, get the impact socket.
Robert

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.