Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Hoping someone here might have experienced something like this before. I've got a 2010 Insight with 168k miles that started to make some strange sounds around the same time it started to get colder (Iowa winter).

The sounds seem to be coming from below the engine, perhaps around the AC unit? Facing the engine compartment from the front of the car, it seems to be coming from the left side of the compartment. It is a whirring sound that starts and stops with the engine, but I haven't noticed any performance issues or jumpiness, so it seems like something accessory. I also only seem to hear it around 1000rpm. If I get about 1500rpm, I don't hear it. No difference if I'm in neutral or in drive. Almost sounds like a whining pump, but trans fluid, coolant, and oil are all fine as far as I can tell.

I went out and recorded a few audio clips, but I can't post the link to them since this is my first time posting here. Maybe I can PM if you have a chance to listen? Hopefully someone here has experienced this or can at least point me in the right direction. We're a single-car family, so this is a little unnerving.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So even though it is still performing fine, the sound has continued to get louder each day we drive it, so I'm starting to get a little anxious. It's now almost like a pulsing rattle and it sounds the same whether we go 15mph or 60mph.

I have a friend who is going to take a look at it tomorrow, but wondered if anyone might have any pointers. I'll post whatever results I find so it will at least maybe help someone down the road.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Speed unrelated suggests a loose A/C belt? That follows RPM.
It revs around 1900 RPM at 60 mph, and just a bit lower than that at 15 mpg if the engine is really cold.
If the belt is shredding that could explain the rattle; the rags are hitting stuff.

Pop the hood, find the belt, check whether it is tight and in good shape or not. Watch it when the engine idles (but keep your hands away!)
If it is the belt that is a worry less and a cheap replacement.

It has been cold here lately and I've been hearing serpentine belt whines on other cars like every week.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
A little history might help here. Did you all buy this Insight new? Used? If used, how many miles on it when you bought it? Have kept up with maintenance?
Has it ever been back to a Honda dealer?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts