Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Edmonds and Kelley value for a 2001 Insight is around $3,000. This makes no sense to me. If you drive 12,000 miles per year you save $600 per year in gas costs. The car is paid for in gas savings in 5 years. Why doesn't this add a premium to the value? This does not take into account the fact that the Insight is rare.

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Jef,

Totally agree that the car is a real sleeper and undervalued. With that said, I would not recommend one of these to a close friend or family member unless they were a geek as these cars do need a lot of attention. I don't want to be doing all their maintenance and repair work. You just don't put gas in these cars and drive. JMHO.
Gerald

·
Registered
51 Posts
In the real world, if the car is any kind of good condition they seem to be fetching +$4k and as longs as it's not a total hoopty they are going at about +$2500 even with IMA and CEL lights a blazing

MPOV
Pat Jr.

·
Super Moderator
8,862 Posts
gelevin is right, it takes a geek who is fascinated by the technology, or a hypermiler who is looking for the ultimate MPG car, to love them at this point.

As the car's sneak up on 200,000 miles the weak hands are dumping them when the battery goes bad. That will wash out one day and then the cars will be harder to locate, particularly good ones, and prices will recover IMO.

·
Registered
393 Posts
As the car's sneak up on 200,000 miles the weak hands are dumping them when the battery goes bad. That will wash out one day and then the cars will be harder to locate, particularly good ones, and prices will recover IMO.
You mentioned it in another thread, but KBB is kinda the value for a junker. For $3k, you have to expect to do some work and probably have to deal w/ a bad (or weak) Ima battery.

"Good" cars w/ decent mileage still command $4-7K.

Seems like the bottom on these cars are around 1500 or so for a runner... so any thing that's not a total hooptie is a 2.5K (or so) car.

I'm looking for something in between :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jef,

Totally agree that the car is a real sleeper and undervalued. With that said, I would not recommend one of these to a close friend or family member unless they were a geek as these cars do need a lot of attention. I don't want to be doing all their maintenance and repair work. You just don't put gas in these cars and drive. JMHO.
Gerald
I don't think so. The Insight is fun to drive, feels like a sports car and sorta looks like one. I didn't find maintenance to ever be a problem. It was more difficult to keep the windshield clean (because of infrequent trips to the gas station) than to maintain the car. In its 15 year, 200K lifetime, I have replaced the hatch struts, one wheel bearing, and the battery.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
JEFMT, You've already done more than a lot of folk are willing to try.

btw: Any thoughts on attending the mid-atlantic fall maintenance day ?

How 'bout Patjr, I see you're on earth, close enough to Columbia, MD ?

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have bought mine recently for 3000 Euros (that would be 3440 US$ today) and do not regret it.

I have no idea how car prices are comparable between the US and Germany, but: in both countries, noone calculates everything when he wants a car.

When he wants it, he wants it. Could be an F150 in the US or an Audi Q7 in Germany. No matter how expensive that car will be *after* one has bought it.

Anyway, when you buy an Insight for 3000 Euros or 3000 $, that car could need some work. I was lucky: engine, battery and gear box seem to be okay.

I guess that prices will go up soon. Here in Germany we had this with the Audi A2. No one wanted one unless production had stopped and fuel prices went up. Right now, fuel here is at about 1.30 Euro / Liter which means 1.30 Euro / 0.26 gallons or 1,47450 US$ / 0.26 gallons or 5,67 $ / gallon.

Olaf

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Biggest problem I see is they are now between 9 and 15 years old. That kills resale value.

·
Registered
51 Posts
JEFMT, You've already done more than a lot of folk are willing to try.

btw: Any thoughts on attending the mid-atlantic fall maintenance day ?

How 'bout Patjr, I see you're on earth, close enough to Columbia, MD ?
I'm in Orange County, CA right now so it's kind far.
Thanks for asking though. It would also be kind of embarrassing to show up as a "wantabe" I don't even have an Insight yet, but I'm hunting. They seem like a cool balance between, useful economy car and hobby. It seems like the G1 Insights are what they were saying about the Elio "it's your and car" not necessarily your only available vehicle.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Thanks for asking though. It would also be kind of embarrassing to show up as a "wantabe" I don't even have an Insight yet, but I'm hunting.
I noticed the request to have your location filled out pretty quickly here. Insight owners seem like a really friendly community... if they know where you are, they'll offer to help... even when you're hunting :

·
Premium Member
1,857 Posts
I noticed the request to have your location filled out pretty quickly here. Insight owners seem like a really friendly community... if they know where you are, they'll offer to help... even when you're hunting :
Absolutely. Most of the people here are passionate about these cars and want to make sure nobody makes a 'mistake buy' so to speak.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I hereby predict that ten years from now, these little first gen insights will become classics and collectible and valuable. Maybe you'll see one on one of those restoration shows like Wheeler Dealer, or maybe someone will come up with an simple electric vehicle conversion kit in which the insight would be a perfect donor, or maybe gas will be $10 a gallon. I don't know, but if I was rich and had the space, I would buy up every one I could get my hands on.

·
Registered
7,472 Posts
I think the main reason the Insight is cheaper is because it's an older hybrid. The 1st gen Civic hybrids are cheaper, too. I think most people are afraid of the perceived risk that the early hybrid technology poses... I mean, there is kind of a risk - and most people don't have the time, skill, whatever, to cope with that... The result is fewer people seeking out the cars, less demand, prices lower than they should be... There's some nuances, too, such as the Insight two-seater factor, the Civic Hybrid CVT problems, etc... But it mainly boils down to the risk of having to pay for repairs to a whole 'nuther system, the hybrid system, vs. the potential cost savings due to better fuel economy. I think the perceived risk wins out in the end...

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
but if I was rich and had the space, I would buy up every one I could get my hands on.
I hear there's a maniac out there doing just that.
LOL.
Gerald

·
Registered
7,472 Posts
I'd have at least 3 if I had the space... It doesn't take much money - so no need to be rich...

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
on Craig's List in So Cal I see good ones for $4~7K and ones with bad batteries or CELs as $2~3.5K, but also these low priced ones tend to be kind of beat up. I think people are really afraid of replacing a dead hybrid battery because most have no idea of how to replace it or are afraid to replace it themselves and going to honda to replace it will be something like $4K and any other reputable shop will probably charge $3K.

I know there are places that will rebuild packs, but usually the average person doesn't know where that is.

I think it's just a niche market car, but consider this, insights in general go for similar pricing as CRXs, that's kind of surprising to me.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Thanks for asking though. It would also be kind of embarrassing to show up as a "wantabe" I don't even have an Insight yet, but I'm hunting. They seem like a cool balance between, useful economy car and hobby. It seems like the G1 Insights are what they were saying about the Elio "it's your and car" not necessarily your only available vehicle.
The folk out there on the left coast get together now and then, bring what you're driving now, I'll bet they'd be happy to show you some cool stuff about the G1.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,334 Posts
That's a dirty rumor, started by "Annie Oakley". The other half.
Willie

1 - 20 of 41 Posts