Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just started doing this since its gotten a little cooler and only in the morning when I first start up in first gear.

car is garaged, so its really not that cool...maybe hi 50's in the garage.

with only 55K miles, is this a sign of a problem?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
If that is the only time you experience it, don't worry about it.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Bagwell:

I just noticed in your signature what your best tank was. You must have had every little space filled up with gas!

·
Registered
27 Posts
mine shudders too

my 2000 5speed (70K) started shuddering 6 months ago, but I do not think it is the clutch (in my case).

I cannot feather the gas peddle or drive the car with low RPMs or else it lurches and shakes. Accordingly, I have to coast or really depress the gas pedal in traffic or low MPH to keep it from doing so.

One Honda dealer looked at it, replaced the Oxygen sensor, and said it was fine. They were wrong. After $500 and 5 months the problem has worsened.

Any ideas? Please help.

·
Registered
240 Posts
saintb, could it be your EGR valve? There's lots of good info on the site about the EGR valve (some people have cleaned theirs successfully; I replaced mine myself, when cleaning didn't fix it, for about $160 + 10 minutes labor). Specifically, you'd get the hurky-jerky around 2000 RPMs, with instant mpg reading between 40-60 (in other words, not related to lean burn).

bagwell, the capacity of the tank is 10.6 gallons, so unless you put some extra gas somewhere, I kinda doubt it took 13 gallons!

-fly

·
Registered
32 Posts
flymuck said:
bagwell, the capacity of the tank is 10.6 gallons, so unless you put some extra gas somewhere, I kinda doubt it took 13 gallons!

-fly
Thats the quoted capacity of the tank but many people have managed to get signifigantly more than 10.6 gallons in there. I think the current distance record on an insight was set with over 13 gallons "squeezed" in there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Clutch problem

I have the same clutch judder with my 2000 Insight. But it clears after a mile or two and I think it's probably due to condensation on the clutch plate which appears in the colder weather. After driving for a few miles it dries off and goes back to normal.
So, unless you have an oil leak in the clutch area, don't worry about it :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
saintb, I agree with flymuck's recommendation to check out your EGR valve. My 2000 Insight was having identical problems as what you've described on yours, and I had my EGR valve replaced - problem solved. Check out "engine hesitation" forum topic under Problems and Troubleshooting. The EGR valve issue is discussed at length there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I started getting this problem really bad, the same way you describe it. Only seemed to be in the morning when it was cooler, could not feather the gas without having it lurch all over, just nasty. I had it in for a routine service at the local Honda dealer here in Orange County (Fladeboe Honda), their tech noticed it and suggested a replacement of the CVT fluid. After reading all the gloom and doom posts here about there being no fix, I never bothered to mention it to the service guys, so I was surprised when they noticed it and offered the advice of changing the CVT fluid. You know what? That worked like a charm. Shuddering was completely eliminated, and has only recently started to come back (about 2 years and 20k miles later). The service tech said that the CVT fluid gets gunky really fast, and should be changed every 10k miles or so.

Before ripping apart your engine to clean the elusive EGR valve or whatever the hardcore gear heads suggest... try this simple solution. If it doesn't work for you, at least you haven't dropped a ton of cash or time.

**Edit: Just realized that you've got the manual version... obviously, there won't be any CVT fluid unless you've got the CVT. Anyway, this solution works on the CVT for all those out there who need help!

·
Registered
240 Posts
There is a new TSB related to the shuddering in the CVT -- didn't you get the notice from Honda? The first thing they try is to change the fluid. If that doesn't fix the problem, they have to rebuild the transmission. :(

The EGR valve is not elusive or hard to replace. There are three bolts to remove the engine cover, and two bolts to remove the EGR valve, and one plug to disconnect. It takes about 10 minutes. And if I say it's easy, it must be easy, cuz I'm just a girrrrrrrrlllll! ;) :badgrin: :lol:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Having a manual of my own that had the same problem you describe (jerking at low rpms, have to either punch it or coast, or change gears), I would say, yes, it's very likely to be the EGR valve. There's a great thread on this forum (I think called "Engine Hesitation") that discusses the symptoms and solution quite thoroughly.

(All this being said, I don't think it's a problem that is *specific* to the manual transmission; the manual just eliminates the possibility of it being the CVT fluid (obviously)).

Good luck!
-fly

·
Registered
75 Posts
I think this thread departed from the actual problem Bagwell described. He specifically mentioned the clutch shuddering, not the engine. I've been having a similar problem and I've also noticed it recently as it's gotten colder. It only seems to happen while feathering the clutch while accelerating in 1st gear. And it also seems to go away after the car has been driven a little while. My guess is something along Ecoman's theory is probably correct.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts