Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to come on here and hand out some serious kudos to everyone who had posted about the lower control arm bushing issue.

As I previously posted, after 3 tries and the Honda mechanics not hearing the noise, they FINALLY heard it! I had copied and pasted all the posts on here about what was causing it and how to resolve it, brought in the paper with me to the dealer, who actually gave it to the mechanic. I I even highlighted the specific way of removing the 3 bolts.

Well, Honda Care approved the fix and the overnighting of the parts from California, plus a car rental. In one day they fixed everything.

I can't believe this is how my Insight is supposed to sound! It's whisper quiet. I was so used to the noise I just figured it was normal, until it became so loud on each bump that I came on here to search for similar problems and read about others having the same issue. The work order says the bushings were cracked, so they replaced both lower control arms. It still is a hard ride, but it doesn't feel as if it's falling apart at the seams with each manhole cover. It's a quiet hard ride, if that makes sense.

Anyway, a big thank you to all for saving me over $1000 as my extended warranty expires in 2 months!

And also I must say I was impressed with Honda Care for taking care of it. They said yes to everything so quickly it makes me wonder if they're nervous, or at least very aware of this particular issue. The dealer also gets some credit for actually reading the posts I brought in rather than rolling their eyes.

One last thing, since we've figured out that this is a defect in manufacturing, shouldn't I expect this to reoccur in about 30-40k more miles? I only have 50k on the car now. And, if it does, will Honda then fix it again even out of warranty? Not that I want to be worrying about this right now, but it's just a thought.

I will sleep much sounder tonight!

Kyle

·
Registered
367 Posts
I would like to second that and say thanks to all the contributing members who have provided invaluable "insight" over the years.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I think the problem with the lower control arms is more a matter of time than mileage. It's one of those body parts that is susceptible to weather/climate changes, not something that gets "worn" as you drive it, so much. I could be completely wrong and I'm sure if I am, someone will tell me! :)

Part of the reason why I say this is because I just bought a 2000 Insight that was a California car its whole life. It has 75K miles on it and has never had the lower control arms repaired or replaced. It doesn't have any squeaking issues; the ride is tight and firm. On the other hand, my 2001 CVT that I brought to California from the east coast (originally it was in PA, then in VA) had the squeaky-squeak problem for the past couple of years, and it was finally fixed this past year (thanks again to everyone on the forum!).

So, I figure it was the harsher weather back east that caused the failure; maybe those rubber bushings don't like the salt on the road, for example. I don't know if this helps you at all in your long-term concerns about the part, other than to say I don't think it happens "every x miles", but rather "every x years, climate-depending".

Glad to hear you got it all worked out and HC came through for you! Enjoy the stiff, quiet ride! :D

-fly

1 - 3 of 3 Posts