Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is the MID always optimistic is a question that has been bugging me for a long time. Optimistic by 1-4 mpg per thankful, e.g. higher than hand calculation. Its a question for which I still don’t have a satisfactory answer, after 21 fill ups and 8.2k miles.

In search of an answer I’ve looked closely at gas tank filling issues (a major source of error in my prior car) and possible gas pump read-out errors. Someone (zurk I think it was) said they did not have optimistic MID readings, and once had a MID number below the calculated number. An out of the ordinary practice, of this person, was to fill up within a mile of the MID reporting a Range = 0. Doing this gave him a remarkably consistent amount of gas pumped with each fill up ..9,5xx gals.! Could this have an effect on MID mpg accuracy? So I gave it a try with the last two fill ups. I discovered my highest ever MID error of +4.1 mpg (I used the same pump, and pumped 9.534 and 9.586 gals.).

Some have suggested that car computing mpg is complicated and the technology is not up to the task. I reject that explanation, because I and many other 2 door I1 owners have reported consistent computer / hand calculation figures. At a recent fill up of my wife’s I1, the computer reported 51.9 mpg. The hand calculation at the gas pump’s auto turnoff was 52.05xx mpg!

Why can the I1 computer do the job, while the I2 computer can’t? The I1 and I2 are very similar vehicles except that the I2 has an automatic fuel cut-off that engages when you take your foot off the gas pedal. Also the I2 has an “ev mode” in which the battery and the little 13 hp electric motor propel the car forward while fuel is cut off. The stock I1 can’t do either of these things. If this is the source of the computer error, than you’d expect those I2 drivers that use a lot of ev mode to have high MID error, and those that rarely use ev mode would have less. Well that is exactly the case for me! The more ev mode I use, the higher the amount of MID error I‘m seeing! See my data at Blue Bird (Honda Insight) | Fuelly

If this is the source of the error, a small computational adjustment / computer patch could fix it!

·
Registered
392 Posts
If this is the source of the computer error, than you’d expect those I2 drivers that use a lot of ev mode to have high MID error, and those that rarely use ev mode would have less. Well that is exactly the case for me! The more ev mode I use, the higher the amount of MID error I‘m seeing! See my data at Blue Bird (Honda Insight) | Fuelly

If this is the source of the error, a small computational adjustment / computer patch could fix it!
I hate to burst your theory, but, while on our vacation last year we had many stretches where we were driving 80+ MPH on the Interstate almost 100% of the time. Therefore there was almost no time where we were coasting or running on electric only. Guess what? SAME 2-4 MPG error no matter what. The only explanation is that Honda knowingly made the estimates optimistic for whatever reason.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Dumb theory, but are you using ethanol enriched fuels? Wondering if thats the case your MPG is suffering and the mid isnt smart enough to adjust itself to fuel trims.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Something to mull over. Why isn't the Miles to Empty calculation as optimistic as the MPG calculation? If anything it is pessimistic.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I find my I1 MID is usually about 2% off my hand calculations. The difference is (of course) more pronouned at higher mpg's. I have also found the % difference is also lower at 65 mpg vs. 85 mpg. So, getting 51.9 MID and 52 actual does not surprise me.

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
Why can the I1 computer do the job, while the I2 computer can’t? The I1 and I2 are very similar vehicles except that the I2 has an automatic fuel cut-off that engages when you take your foot off the gas pedal.
The gen1 Insight also has automatic fuel cut-off that engages when you take your foot off the gas pedal. Other cars do as well.

JoeCVT = Just your average CVT owner

·
Registered
34 Posts
This I can actually understand.

My last vehicle when the range got down to 50 miles it would just say "LOW FUEL RANGE" and no give any more advice. I'm sure some lawyer or exec said to engineering don't cut it too close.

Something to mull over. Why isn't the Miles to Empty calculation as optimistic as the MPG calculation? If anything it is pessimistic.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for all of your thinking on this.

JOECVT: "The gen1 Insight also has automatic fuel cut-off that engages when you take your foot off the gas pedal. Other cars do as well."

REALLY?? I didn't know that. Do these other cars also calculate mpg, and do it to an accuracy = to the I1? My understanding, from reading Honda's I2 customer stuff nearly a year ago, was that the fuel cut-off was new to the I2.
If what you say is correct, it further supports my contention that: "If this is the source of the error, a small computational adjustment / computer patch could fix it!."

BISH79: "....while on our vacation last year we had many stretches where we were driving 80+ MPH on the Interstate almost 100% of the time. Therefore there was almost no time where we were coasting or running on electric only. Guess what? SAME 2-4 MPG error no matter what."

Was your mpg error always on the optimiistic side? You could have done some coasting as you slowed from 80 mph to zero, or while going down a long hill, or slowing due to a slower car in front of you. You might have unknowningly slipped into ev mode while creaping along in heavy traffic or in large parking lots.

Still you make a good point. While supporting my view that Honda could fix it, IF they wanted to!

In my old car, which also had a 10.x gal gas tank, I found that I could fill the tank to the point that the gas level was just equal to the lip of the filler pipe. I could then run the car to the point that it needed 8.5 - 9 + gal to fill the tank. At the time of fill up I could calculate mpg at the gas pumps' automatic turn off and then again at the point of fillup just equal to the lip of the filler pipe. The difference between the two hand calculted figures was 3 mpg! I think of this as "gas tank filling issues." An mpg calculation error, from this source, will be reduced in a mpg figure that covers many fill ups. The existence of this type of error does point out that one or two fill ups is not enough data to make the case for an explanation of MID optimism!

JKBRUSHABER: "...So, getting 51.9 MID and 52 actual does not surprise me."

The 52 was at the gas pump auto turnoff. A few clicks on the gas pump would have added a little more gas, probably lowering the calculated mpg to the car computer's figure.

GIMPSTER: "Dumb theory, but are you using ethanol enriched fuels? Wondering if thats the case your MPG is suffering and the mid isnt smart enough to adjust itself to fuel trims."

Yes. The switch to ethanol did reduce my in-town mpg, did NOT have a noticeable effect on highway mpg, but did reduce my overall mpg from 36mpg to 35.5 mpg in my old car ('02 Saturn SL1).

My I2 mpg is NOT suffering. I just want CONSISTENCY between hand calculation and MID. I'm NOT asking the MID to "adjust to fuel trims." ...speaking of dumb

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
JOECVT: "The gen1 Insight also has automatic fuel cut-off that engages when you take your foot off the gas pedal. Other cars do as well."

REALLY?? I didn't know that. Do these other cars also calculate mpg, and do it to an accuracy = to the I1? My understanding, from reading Honda's I2 customer stuff nearly a year ago, was that the fuel cut-off was new to the I2.
Yes, Really.....This is not a new idea even to the gen1 Insight. Take a look here:
InsightCentral.net - Encyclopedia - Honda Insight Fuel Cut Mode

It mainly describes how the MT fuel cut works but the CVT version is just nearly the same except method for the clutch stuff....In fact, the CVT can enter fuel cut mode at high speeds and stay in that mode all the way down to AutoStop (even more than the MT model)....I checked it out myself testing the voltage supplied to the fuel pump. During my test, once you left off the gas pedal, about one second later fuel cut mode begins. My volt meter showed no voltage supplied to the fuel pump all the way down to AutoStop. Then as you let your foot off the brake (for AutoStartup), voltage was supplied.

It is not just for Honda either. Just a quick Google search of Fuel cut deceleration shows a PDF from Toyota in 2001:

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h43.pdf

There are tons of others found with Google showing the ECU / ECM cutting fuel during decelleration for fuel economy and emissions reasons.

I think that perhaps you are thinking of cylinder deactivation (something the Gen2 Insight can do but the Gen1 Insight can not)

Cylinder deactivation was already a function on some Honda V6 engines and Honda brought it over to the Insight 4 cylinder engine. Instead of fuel cut to all cylinders (as in fuel cut mode via fuel pump disable), the intake and exhaust valves remain closed of the cylinder deactivated and no air or fuel enters that cylinder. In the V6 engine, 3 cylinders are deactivated at once under light engine loads.

JoeCVT = Just your average CVT owner

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
...I checked it out myself testing the voltage supplied to the fuel pump. During my test, once you left off the gas pedal, about one second later fuel cut mode begins. My volt meter showed no voltage supplied to the fuel pump all the way down to AutoStop. Then as you let your foot off the brake (for AutoStartup), voltage was supplied....
Thanks Joe for the technical information above. I took a little test drive in the I1 this morning which varifies it! I went to the apex of a tall bridge. At 40 mph I zeroed the mpg readout and took my feet off all the pedals. I coasted around ¾ mile down the bridge to around 30 mph. The mpg readout was 150 mpg, same as in the I2 on the same stretch of road!

I think that perhaps you are thinking of cylinder deactivation (something the Gen2 Insight can do but the Gen1 Insight can not)
Yes that is probably correct. I knew there was another design change I picked up in reading through their stuff and cylinder deactivation was probably it ....a really neat and admirable concept I thought when reading it the first time!

That would leave something to do with ev mode (or ?) as the remaining possible design explanation for the differences in mpg read out.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mine is dead on.
TERRIFIC! How are you doing it?

I tried filling the tank at Range = 0 to gas pump auto turnoff x2 and got my highest ever MID mpg error.

·
Registered
100 Posts
TERRIFIC! How are you doing it?

I tried filling the tank at Range = 0 to gas pump auto turnoff x2 and got my highest ever MID mpg error.
reset it and keep filling at 0 -- it should gradually correct itself down to the proper mpg. took me 4 tanks.
now its bang on.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
reset it and keep filling at 0 -- it should gradually correct itself down to the proper mpg. took me 4 tanks.
OK, I'll give it a try. 2 tanks down ...2 to go.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Mine hasn't been dead on since my 3rd fill up. I'll try run my car down to range = 0 more often and see how it goes. the fill up before this one I ran it down to 0 and I can tell you it was almost 0.5 L / 100 km off! The largest error I've ever seen.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I routinely follow the ups and downs of crude oil and wholesale gasoline prices and seek to time my fillups to get the best deal. (I don't drive too much and fillup every 3 or 4 weeks or so, which gives me the flexibility to do this.) With this Range = 0 fillup experiment, I've passed up a 4 cent per gal. saving on the second fillup. My third Range = 0 fillup will come up soon. On Sat. we took a 225 mile trip to Eugene. On the way back I passed up the opportunity to get 7 odd gal. of the cheapest gas in the state at $2.719 in Florence, Or. I've noticed the price has gone up (as expected) here in N. Bend to $2.939, meaning a loss to me of 22 cents per gal. in service of this experiment.

I sure hope this Range=0 thing works. The current tankful has less ev mode than the prior two. So I'm looking for a 2-3 mpg spread of MID vs hand calculation. Spread = 4.1 on last fillup, and 3.5 on the fillup prior; both were at Range = 0 (and gas pump auto turnoff, same gas station and pump, ..to reduce pumping and pump's gas measurement errors).

·
Registered
30 Posts
My first generation Insight ran out of fuel yesterday. I had reset the MID after the last refueling (as I always do). The MID gave the trip gas mileage as 49.3 mpg when the engine finally stalled after 490 miles. If these figures are correct, I cannot not have spent more than 10 gallons of fuel since resetting the MID. When I refueled my car after stalling, however, the pump stopped only at 10.45 gallons. What is more likely: that the MID is optimistic or that the pump is?

·
Registered
685 Posts
My first generation Insight ran out of fuel yesterday. I had reset the MID after the last refueling (as I always do). The MID gave the trip gas mileage as 49.3 mpg when the engine finally stalled after 490 miles. If these figures are correct, I cannot not have spent more than 10 gallons of fuel since resetting the MID. When I refueled my car after stalling, however, the pump stopped only at 10.45 gallons. What is more likely: that the MID is optimistic or that the pump is?
The Insight-I has a 10.6 gallon gas tank:
InsightCentral.net - Encyclopedia - Honda Insight Specifications

Over many many tanks my Insight-I's display agrees within +/- 1mpg with the hand calculations from the pump.

If you do not have the stock tires (Bridgestone Potenza RE92), that could throw everything off.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Our I1 Owner's Manual says the gas tank capacity = 10.6 U.S. gals.

Earlier today the Range flipped to 0 and I filled up within two blocks. The spread was 2.3 mpg. ..Consistent with my prediction of 4-5-10.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts