Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I've just noticed something... I see lots of threads here about turbocharging, but why doesn't anyone supercharge an Insight?

Is it more difficult?

I was just looking wishfully at this little beast:

Aisin AMR300 mini Roots supercharger

·
Registered
439 Posts
It's a lot more difficult to fabricate a bracket with perfect alignment for the belt than it is to make a manifold adapter and downpipe. Or that's my opinion anyways.

Superchargers also are inherently less efficient and would zap a small, but probably significant amount of power off boost.

Just my opinion, but anyways I think it would be pretty neat to have a supercharged Insight. I however will likely always choose turbo over supercharger.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Jags use superchargers on their petrol cars they produce real low down grunt something turbos dont do, but as the previous poster has said it all has to be perfik otherwise belts are destroyed so turboing is easier, but best is both :D

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
For me it would be efficiency. Superchargers would give the car relatively lousy economy.

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/how-much-horsepower-does-supercharger-add.htm

Superchargers do, however, cost a little of the power they produce. Unlike a turbocharger, which runs off the engine's exhaust (waste) and therefore doesn't drink up any additional power, a supercharger is driven by a belt or a chain connected to the engine -- and that does drain some power, just as all other belt-driven accessories do (like air conditioning, for example). This is one of the reasons a supercharger can't deliver a promised and consistent power output -- the supercharger itself affects the way a car runs. In some cases, it can sap up to 20 percent of the engine's power before it contributes its own boost to the equation. For people who really want the specific experience of a supercharged engine, though, it's worth the tradeoff.
That 20% is all loss, 20% lower economy compared with a turbo in otherwise equal circumstances.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
I've wondered about a small supercharger too. Seems like low end boost is where a small blower would really be effective.

I think it would be fun to try!

In regards to Ecky's post - I've seen the claim that a turbo doesn't cost anything, but doesn't it by it's very nature cause some (small?) amount of exhaust restriction all the time?

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, that low end torque boost is why it seems like such a natural fit for the car. But yeah... the parasitic drag would be tough to swallow in terms of mpg.

I guess I just imagine dropping one in to replace the IMA battery.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
An electric supercharger would be ideal. No pulley and could be mounted most anywhere under the hood. 120V motor would be small and light (think handheld hair dryer) and run off the IMA battery.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Wouldn't doing a current hack be more appropriate for getting more low end TQ? Or Peter's IMA boost device?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
"An electric supercharger would be ideal." - It's called a motor and you already have one factory installed! :)
Exactly, McLaren calls it torque fill :D Would be really interesting to see someone adapt the 17KW motor to the 1G.

·
Registered
422 Posts
It's a lot more difficult to fabricate a bracket with perfect alignment for the belt than it is to make a manifold adapter and downpipe. Or that's my opinion anyways.

Superchargers also are inherently less efficient and would zap a small, but probably significant amount of power off boost.

Just my opinion, but anyways I think it would be pretty neat to have a supercharged Insight. I however will likely always choose turbo over supercharger.
Not for Naught but superchargers generally feel like all motor and they are more reliable, while turbos make more power, they run cooler, etc. I have a rotrex supercharger on my k20. It makes power all the same. The fitment is probably the issue but I'm sure it could be made to work.

·
Registered
422 Posts
An electric supercharger would be ideal. No pulley and could be mounted most anywhere under the hood. 120V motor would be small and light (think handheld hair dryer) and run off the IMA battery.
Didn't the F1 cars employ that to make power? Expensive option but rotrex is VERY efficient, basically like a turbo on the pushing end powered by belt. Don't be put off by the parasitic drive. They are very reliable and make power reliably which comes on right away.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts