Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys.

i'm looking to get some insight no pun intended on people's experience with wider tires and how significant of a MPG drop off they have seen.

please specify size of upgraded wheels and tires.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I just recently, within the last week, installed Yokohama Touring S 195 60 R15's; on stock alloy rims. The loss in MPG I'm noticing so far is around 1 to 1.5 MPG or 2%-3%. This could easily be attributed to cold weather as well. The gain in quietness, traction, handling, responsiveness and comfort has been MONUMENTAL. My Insight feels like a different(bigger)car. If I only knew what a difference it made, I would have done it way sooner.

·
Registered
30 Posts
There are two key points to remember when going to bigger tires and wheels when it comes to MPG and the Insight -
1. Try to stay as close as possible to the stock tire and wheel weight. (stock weight is 32lbs combined)
2. Always use LRR tires (Low Rolling Resistance )

I am using a light weight 15 x 7 wheel with 195/60-15 Michelin Hydro-Edge LRR tires and I have no loss of MPG. Even though the Hydro-Edge tires are not marketed as high performance tires these tires are just incredible when it comes to handling and ride.
As FirstHonda said earlier - The Insight becomes a completely different car ( sports car) when you change the tires.
Tnqr-Toy's Dad

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
2. Always use LRR tires (Low Rolling Resistance )
That's where I strayed. I went with a touring tire for maximum comfort, traction and quietness. I'm glad I did. If I loose 1 or 2 MPG, I don't care. While the skinny Dunlops are designed for maximum fuel efficency, they sacrifice too much in other areas. They are LOUD, handle poorly, have poor traction, let you feel every little bump and wear too quickly.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Glad it is working out for you. The tire store did a plus 1 on sizing. I have no complaints about the avids in the oem size.

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was running oem 175/65 and making 48mpg on an easy driving tank. I switched to Hankook h727's and get much better traction in all situations but they are 185/60, one centimeter wider and I now average 45-56 mpg when I'm trying.

I wanna invest in a summer tire though, i'm thinking 225/45 R17. Anybody with some input on the matter is much appreciated.

·
Registered
221 Posts
hi guys.

i'm looking to get some insight no pun intended on people's experience with wider tires and how significant of a MPG drop off they have seen.

please specify size of upgraded wheels and tires.
We have seen no reduction in mpg on our 2010 I2 using Nokian WRG2 185/60 R15 tires. We have had this tire now for over 25K miles. Consumer Reports stated this was a low rolling resistance tire and they were right. Also the weight of this tire is exactly the same as the OEM Dunlops. I have stated the other benefits of this tire in other threads. The bottom line it is one of a handful of all season high performance tires that is also snow certified. You also gain higher dry and wet traction over the stock tires and the car drives much more smoothly.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Anyone tested a 185/65 15 tire on a stock steel Insight LX 2010 model? Not the alloy EX wheels... Still looking for a reference before I order tires come spring.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm curious if 185 will fit properly on the stock steel wheels. I've heard many people have no problems with the premium alloy wheels, but I'm curious if anyone has had any problems with the seal and fit of a 185 on the stock 2010 steel LX wheel specifically.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I'm curious if 185 will fit properly on the stock steel wheels. I've heard many people have no problems with the premium alloy wheels, but I'm curious if anyone has had any problems with the seal and fit of a 185 on the stock 2010 steel LX wheel specifically.

185's are the size on the 2012 Insights, so I don't see any problem with steel wheels.

·
Registered
95 Posts
What about the 185 width on a normal steel LX 2010 wheel? The width, even at 60 height, would it seal properly and work with the wheel?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
What about the 185 width on a normal steel LX 2010 wheel? The width, even at 60 height, would it seal properly and work with the wheel?
There is no reason why it shouldn't. 195's will work also, if the steel wheel is at least 5.5 inches.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts