Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am looking to go wider on the tyres on my Insight, as mpg is less of an issue now I am travelling 10miles to work each day & not 130. It looks like 195/55's would be OK on the stock rims, does anyone have any toughts on this?

·
Registered
200 Posts
185/60's work with absolutely no issues at all other than a decrease of mpg, and that's what I have right now. I think Guillermo either uses or has used 195/55's without any problems. I also think that I've heard or read in other posts that a section width of up to 205 will fit the stock rim, but that width may cause some rub issues with the suspension components or the wheel well itself. Even with only going from the 165 section width to the 185 I've noticed a significant improvement in lateral grip, especially at the limit of adhesion (I did my first couple of autocross events on the stock tire size, and finished the season last year with the wider tire and the car felt much better and much more responsive with the wider tire).

Also, one other thing about the tire size, and this is purely my own observation and my not be corroborated by others. With the 185's, I don't know if its the increased friction or what, but the car feels a tad sluggish off the line compared with the stock 165's, which is probably due to the fact that the tires I bought (Sumitomo Srixon 185/60R14) have the larger contact patch and are not low rolling resistance, hence the increase in friction which must take more torque to get going (again, this is a purely non-scientific seat of the pants type of observation).

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I agree

·
Registered
237 Posts
I also run Autox events and run Falken Azenis 195X55 with no problems. I have also placed the 205's (on 5.5"X14 Miata rims) on the Insight as I also run a Miata in stock class with "R" (race) compound tires. They don't fit on the Insight. They rub both inside and outside. The result would be the same with the Insight wheels.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
commuter said:
I run Falken Azenis 195X55 with no problems.
commuter,
Can you double check your tire size?
Falken Azenis are not available in 195/55R14 only 195/60R14
Since they fit i'll going to buy those as my summer street tire and during wet races they will be my rain tire.

Since 195/55R14 DOT legal Kumho V710 Race compound tires won't work very well in the rain. :twisted:
These tires have a treadwear rating of 30 :shock:

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Geeee, those tires are ... just to much. Good luck in the events

Please try to give much notice on the events, I'll try to be present at least once this summer.

For Hambone, the lag you feel in the start, I credit to inertia. I also have non LRR tires in the 185/60R14 and mine are twice as heavy and inertia is the factor on my car. For acceleration and braking.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Thanks Yves. I was focusing on the increased friction part of the equation, but didn't think about the greater mass of the tire essentially requiring more force to put in motion, but that makes sense. Glad someone else has noticed a similar effect, that I'm not the only one!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Guillermo

The Falkens are 195X60X14. I don't know where I came up with the 55. They fit fine, no rubbing at all. I took an ad from Edge Racing web site to the local Americas Tire and they matched the price. Edge racing is found at http://www.edgeracing.com thay have quite a few great tires at great prices.

Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts