Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my quest to replace the IMS bearing in my car took an unexpected turn two days ago :(

Nobody hurt, fortunately. 5MPH impact with a massive dualie pickup while in a stop-light line, she inched forward, he didn't :( The damage to the insight is as follows:

Hood needs to be replaced (bent substantially), center tie-bar needs to be replaced, bumper needs to be replaced (tabs broken on one side), and the two radiators need to be replaced. Amazingly, the car didn't leak any fluids after the impact, and still runs and drives like it always did, no overheating, squealing, or anything. That almost made it harder

I got a payout from insurance to fix the car, but given a few other problems with the car:

1. Windshield cracked by rock during the winter.

2. Front tires need to be replaced.

3. Possible intermediate shaft bearing problem discussed in another place.

4. My wife and I want to start a family in the next year or so, so we're looking at a Honda Civic Hybrid or a Toyota Prius instead. I've decided I want to sell the Insight and put the money towards the next car. Geico estimated the repairs at $2300 including labor ($1000 in parts, almost all new/OEM, no junkyard searching), but that doesn't include the windshield and IMS bearing or tires. A fix-and-flip place that does Hondas up here offered me $1000 for the car, which seems fair given it's condition.

I know there are a few specialized Insight wreckers out there, and most of the parts on the car are in good condition (interior, skirts, etc.) and it runs and drives. Is there somewhere that might be better to call? I'm not really looking for a lot more money, but I was hoping for around $1500ish for it. Anybody have any suggestions where to look?

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
Sorry to hear of your Mrs' collision, glad to hear no injuries.

Maybe some pics would help someone decide on whether to pick it up as a parts car or fixer/upper. There's a couple folk over that way and south a bit that may chime in.

Year, miles, pack condition, good title, etc ?

·
3,641 Posts
Glad she wasn't hurt.

Sorry to hear about the damage. A big factor for informed Insight shopper would be the battery age/condition.

How is the transmission? Any grind? Maintenance records? Tires (RE92 ?) condition?

GLWS.

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
If you are looking for a cheap family car that still gets good mileage, a HCH2 or HCH1 isn't a terrible idea. If you are willing to convert to Toyota, the Prius isn't a bad option either. They won't get as good mileage as your insight, but you will have somewhere for the family members to ride.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Someone on the forum is selling an HCH1 right now for $2000, including a $1000 grid charging setup.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
A fix-and-flip place that does Hondas up here offered me $1000 for the car, which seems fair given it's condition.

I know there are a few specialized Insight wreckers out there, and most of the parts on the car are in good condition (interior, skirts, etc.) and it runs and drives. Is there somewhere that might be better to call? I'm not really looking for a lot more money, but I was hoping for around $1500ish for it. Anybody have any suggestions where to look?
Unless it has like under 80,000 miles, I don't see you getting over the $1000 offer.

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Unless it has like under 80,000 miles, I don't see you getting over the $1000 offer.
Exactly my thought also unless it was local to me and had < 120 k mi then I'd pay $1200. Tires, hood, bumper, tie bar, radiators, windshield, tranny...take the $1000 and run.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts