Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I let my wife use my Insight to pick up my kid from school today... it was nice and cool today (though maybe a bit rainy but not enough that you can't open the windows a bit) and I asked her not to use the climate system unless it's really needed so it won't kill my MPG... and of course she turns it on right away.

Anyway, bottom line is she got about ~38 MPG when I usually get 55+. I guess sitting in a car line really zaps your MPGs when you're using climate control. She probably also doesn't drive as eco-friendly as I do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Keep it in perspective

My two vehicles, a Ridgeline and an Acord MDX get 15 - 18 and 22 - 26 mpg. So, 35 sounds pretty good to me. Not long ago, most people would have thought 35 mpg was impossible in anything larger than a motorcycle. How soon we forget. Besides, not everyone, especially spousal units, are willing to sit and sweat in a car just to increase the mpg. Don't complain, as it probably won't get you any points. Happy wife, happy life.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Besides, not everyone, especially spousal units, are willing to sit and sweat in a car just to increase the mpg.
It was about 65 degrees outside at the time... I wonder if the heater was running. How does it generate heat? Perhaps it runs the gas engine to get heat? Maybe it runs both AC (to dehumidify) and heat if it's set at 72 degrees and it's 65 outside? I wonder...

I guess the bright side is that if she had used the loaner car (a Honda Pilot) or her CR-V (in the shop for a minor issue) then it would probably have been 20 MPG or below.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I run my A/C all the time. Even when it was hot outside, I was still getting in the 60+mpg range reliably (in ECO mode).

Using the heater is another story. The car will not use EV mode when the cabin is actively being heated. This means that short trips are really going to kill your numbers. Once the cabin reaches the desired temp, EV mode becomes available again.

My wife is not an "eco-efficient" driver. I can understand your sorrow over the mileage hit.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
The days of controlling wives is over...
Also, just because you are driving a hybrid does not mean you have to suffer.
Although I have wondered why Honda does not offer the hair-shirt interior option for those really "special" hybrid drivers.

I'm assuming this MPG measurement was done with the toy instant readout? Wait until you actually fill up, the hit may be a non issue.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The days of controlling wives is over...
No, mine is very controlling. It's always her way even with my car. :D

Although I have wondered why Honda does not offer the hair-shirt interior option for those really "special" hybrid drivers.
Sadly I do not know what you are talking about here.

I'm assuming this MPG measurement was done with the toy instant readout? Wait until you actually fill up, the hit may be a non issue.
I filled up today. A little over half a tank. According to my app, I got ~58.3 MPG which was my best yet.

hasarad, How do you get a reliable 60 MPG with the AC running all the time??? Do you only drive downhill?

·
Registered
92 Posts
No, mine is very controlling. It's always her way even with my car. :D

Sadly I do not know what you are talking about here.

I filled up today. A little over half a tank. According to my app, I got ~58.3 MPG which was my best yet.

hasarad, How do you get a reliable 60 MPG with the AC running all the time??? Do you only drive downhill?
My commute is on country farm roads with a 45-50 MPH speed limit. I get 70+mpg on the way to work and 62+ on the way home. This seems to be the best circumstances for the Insight. Local trips is what is killing my mileage. Since it's starting to get colder now, I'm getting a little pissed that EV mode won't kick in while the cabin is being heated. Once it's up to the set temp, EV mode is available. Over a 50 mile commute, this is probably a minimal impact, but I know it's there.

My last tank mpg was low, but I'm chalking that up the the gas pump being extremely slow and thus putting is more gas than normal. I'm expecting the next tank to show ridiculous numbers. The mpg "toy" shows I should be able to go 680 miles on this tank, which proves this theory.

·
Registered
605 Posts
...My last tank mpg was low, but I'm chalking that up the the gas pump being extremely slow and thus putting is more gas than normal. I'm expecting the next tank to show ridiculous numbers.
I think the fluid level at the gas tank needs to be at exactly the same point each fill up. In order to determine exactly how much gas is used.

A little more gas on one fill up, a little less the next, contributes to an up down sine wave like pattern on the mpg history graph at fuelly. Even though the cars' indicated mpg is relatively flat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts