Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to transfer a Infinity BassLink (10" powered Subwoofer) from my old car into the insight I recently purchased to get some low tones, and I'm wondering if running the Basslink will drastically effect my MPG or harmfully, possibly permenantly, drain my battery? Anyone have experience with adding a sub?

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Not any more than it did in your old car, as a percentage. In Insight the percentage will translate to a greater MPG value in the hypermiler range (75+MPG). But I seriously doubt that you will be able to "see" the difference. There's simply too many other variables that effect MPG, mainly traffic and driving style, that will make this small difference impossible to isolate.

The only consideration is the load in the DC-DC converter. The Insight does not have an alternator, it directly converts the IMA 144v to 12v. Like an alternator it has a maximum load limit, and like an alternator if you overload it too much you'll burn it out. Unlike an alternator its expensive, around $1,200 + installation last time I checked. The DC-DC converter is fused for 80A. A 50% continuous load (40A) should be sustainable without damage. That would take an unusually large power amp to meet this value. ;)

HTH! :)

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Welcome to the site.

A number of Insighters use the "shoebox sub woofer". No one has reported a problem.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I Appreciate The Feedback...

I'm going to have a few spare hours this weekend where I can hook it all up, I'll let everyone know my results in about a week or so. I'm not sure how many people are familiar with the basslink product it's quite compact and packs a "mean" bass pounding punch that would be more than enough for such a small space as with the insight. It can be mounted horizontally or vertically, and it's powered, no need for a amp, just for your FYI, but I'll have a more thorough report soon (I believe it functions on 200watts). thanks

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just had a 350watt amp put in with a single 10" cadence sub. That was the smallest setup I could find locally.

I only keep the amp level to about 2 and have no noticable mpg hit at all. When I had it cranked up to 8 the car constantly felt sluggish when trying to maintain the 75mpg zone. It could be me (or the conditions), but I felt there was a difference.

-BT

·
Registered
96 Posts
collwjhcwu said:
It's less than what I have so I doubt it's too much power. Mine cranked up was way too much for me, it was giving me a headache. It's such a small car so I think anything over 10" is too much and probably won't fint in the back tire hatch. Make sure you check the measurements to see if it will fit in there.

·
Registered
338 Posts
tell me if that thing fits in the storage compartment.....I'd buy that today!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i just installed the basslink and it sounds like it was made for the car, the acoustics are perfect. I'll try to get some pictures up as soon as possible... Had to mount it behind the seats... you'll see, it looks and sounds good

·
Registered
338 Posts
pics pics!!!!!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wife decided to break the digital camera, so it' going to be a few days, my apologies... :?

·
Registered
338 Posts
dammit! my whole exsistence depended on........

ok

1 - 16 of 16 Posts