Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a local guy that is selling 17 inch wheels with 225/50/17 tires. Does anyone know if this will fit my Gen 2 Insight or will it rub when wheels are turned?

·
Registered
831 Posts
A 225 width tire might be a little wide to fit the Insight. The 185/60 15 tire that comes on the 2012-2014 is a 23.7" diameter. The 225/50 17 would be 25.9" in diameter.

That's a significant jump, 2.2 inches larger diameter. Would definitely impact MPG and make it less responsive when accelerating.

Then there's the offset issue. I think most Honda Civics and the Fit are around a 42 mm offset for a fairly flush fit, that doesn't stick outside the wheel well. A 49 mm offset will put the edge of the wheel itself another 7 mm farther inside the wheel well lip. It's not a lot, but when you combine the width of the tire, there could be some issues nearing steering lock.

Someone help me with this? Anyone?

·
Registered
25 Posts
There's a local guy that is selling 17 inch wheels with 225/50/17 tires. Does anyone know if this will fit my Gen 2 Insight or will it rub when wheels are turned?
any updates on this?

I wanted to do a similar setup. 16x8 with 205/45/16 tires. 0 offset. Not sure whether it'll fit or not. Any ideas?

·
Registered
831 Posts
With a zero offset wheels, you might be able to see the tires while sitting inside the car! They'll be sticking out of the body work a ways. Anything less that 40-42 offset starts to push tire and wheel outside the line of the fender. I still haven't found a base figure for the Insight's factory offset number. Probably somewhere between 45-50.

Some like that look, but to me, it kinda defeats the Aero that's so important keeping this car's great MPG. Also, the farther out you place those wheel, the more stress you're gonna have on the bearings.

A flush in the wheel well 195 or 205 width tire would look really good on the Insight, but you'll pay a small price for that on each visit to the gas station. I just stuck a set of OEM Toyota 17" alloys (factory offset) and Pirelli low rolling resistance tirea on our Prius, up from the tiny OEM 15 inch wheels and tires.

We're on a trip in Florida, and I'm not seeing anywhere near 55-60 mpg display we were getting on the previous trip... although I'm not doing the same kind of driving here in the Orlando area that I would be doing in Tampa. That test comes next week. Right now MPGs are ranging from 50.8 to 52.1 in day to day very short trips.

Just something to consider.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Offset is the measurement in MM from the center of the wheel to the rear of the bolting surface inside the wheel. So use a straight edge inside the wheel lip and measure down to the back bolting surface. The oem wheel is 5.5 inches wide. So center is half of that and the diff from center is the offset. I do not have an oem wheel so I can not measure it. I believe its a -45 mm.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Offset is the measurement in MM from the center of the wheel to the rear of the bolting surface inside the wheel. So use a straight edge inside the wheel lip and measure down to the back bolting surface. The oem wheel is 5.5 inches wide. So center is half of that and the diff from center is the offset. I do not have an oem wheel so I can not measure it. I believe its a -45 mm.
Amazing that I can't find a Honda factory spec for Insight alloy offset. What's up with that? :-|

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for all the insight. LOL

- I'm actually looking for something that pokes out a little more than the stock OEM wheels. Sitting flush would be ideal, but I wouldn't mind having the tire stick out a tad bit.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
There are 2 issues here. If you are using the OEM suspension the main one would be sticking beyond the fender rubbing if you hit a big bump or while making a tight turn. If you are lowered you got an issue with it hitting inside the fender well or rubbing. I did not take in to account the rim I went with was 7 inches wide vs the oem 5.5 inches. I was mainly concerned about weight and going with a light rim. Even though I had sticked with a -40 offset the rim was soo wide that is filled the wheel well and the outer edge of the tire rubbed the inner edge of the fender well. The front ones would rub when I hit a bump while turning. The rears hit when going over bumps as I was lowered on Tien springs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts