Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some highway wind noise coming from the upper seal of the driver's door, near the rear. When inspected, there is a small gap between the weatherseal on the door to the body on the driver's side, and the passenger side is nice and tight.
There is a little play in the driver's door when it's closed...it can be pushed another 2-3mm, but of course, remains gapped when the pressure is released.

Any ideas on how to tighten up the door seal? Perhaps, tighten the door latch adjustment? Anyone done that on their Insight?

Noticed a little bit of rain on the inside of the door frame when I opened the door today...but none got inside the cabin. Just one more reason to tighten things up a bit.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I had the same problem. I rolled the window down and grabbed the upper connors, put my knee against the middle of the door and pulled. Basicly I bent the window frame a little and it sealed up against the rubber again. Your results may vary. My door latch was pretty tight though.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I had the same problem. I rolled the window down and grabbed the upper connors, put my knee against the middle of the door and pulled. Basicly I bent the window frame a little and it sealed up against the rubber again. Your results may vary. My door latch was pretty tight though.
Funny - this is the same technique we used in the body shop - gentle brute force... :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had a similar issue in my Insight as well so I tightened the clips holding down the pillar garnish assembly and center lower lining assembly. (ref #3 and #5 in this Insight interior diagram) This rectified the wind noise issue 100 % :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
I had this same problem. The door seals have a large square in the corner at the top near the b post. This should be inflated outwards but I guess over time and usage, it gets pressed in.
I know this since I brought new door seals and they stick out and make a very good seal with no wind noise and no bending of door frames necessary.

Also the doors pop open now when the door handle is operated since the other areas of the seals are more effective and tend to apply pressure to the door, the door needs to be closed more firmly since the air pressure tends to build up inside the car as the door is closing and the sound is more solid.

A little pricey perhaps but well worth it in my opinion

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Any DIY guides on replacing the weatherstrip? I did a search but, "no joy".

Looks like from Insightfulmeasures link, the driver's door weatherstrip is only $67. So may be worth a try if everything else doesn't pan out as a solution.

I still think a door adjustment to make it fit a bit more snug is a first start... I'll see if someone has a DIY link here on the forum...

Thanks!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In the Insight Service manual, under the "DOORS" chapter, pages 22-24 have a section on "Adjusting Door Position and Door Striker", including how to loosen the striker and door mounting bolts slightly to move the door in or out until it's flush with the body. Much more detail in that section...

Cheers,
Doc

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just went out and gave it a go. I think it was successful.

I loosened the striker mount on the frame, and moved it in about 2mm, and up about 2mm. Of course, this was the final position after about 6 or 7 trials of "not enough" or "too much"...both of which are obvious by hard closing, too wide a gap, etc.

Was able to "see" the gap at night by shining a flashlight from the outside and seeing light on the inside. After a nice tight weatherstrip seal (after striker adjustment), can't see any light. I'll know if this improved the wind noise on my 350 mile interstate trip tomorrow.

:)

Doc

·
7,237 Posts
Just for reference, pressure just not build up in the car when you shut the doors. All cars are built with flapper vents that prevent this. On the Insight, they are the two vents in the rear hatch area on each side. They go to one way vents at the bumper. This is mainly to allow air flow through the car from the climate control system.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My striker mount door adjustment worked...and reduced wind noise by 95%. I will not go insane now on the highway. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts