Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 LX and drive 120mi highway every day.
on windy days I have a challenge keeping the car in the middle of my lane.
Not sure if it's the steering or just the characteristics of a light car.
just wondering if anyone else has this problem.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I experienced this also, but better tires (in my case expensive Michelin Defenders) made a big difference. But just a difference. It is a small light weight car.

·
Registered
622 Posts
i hear a rear sway bar helps too

as noted above a simple zero plus tire upgrade makes a big diff ... on stock rims u can easily fit 185/65/15 or 195/60/15 sneakers

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I believe in raising the tire pressure, I run 40+ PSI now (3.2 atm front, 3.0 atm rear) which markedly reduces wind sensitivity and enhances responsiveness.

When I went back to summer tires a month ago I was amazed how well the car handled, as the garage always brings the pressure back to OEM. I expected the OEM sloppy handling, but it was firm and all.
At home I home I gingerly took the compressor to pump the tires, only to find that this time the garage had not deflated the tires and they still held their high pressure... :cool:

·
Registered
831 Posts
1. Good tires help directional stability.

2. A good alignment is a must for directional steadiness.

3. Higher pressure in the tires makes the sidewalls a little less wiggly, and that helps, too.

4. Strong gusty crosswinds always trumps all of the above. You'll have to steer and correct the car. Even big cars will be moved around by strong gusty crosswinds.

·
Registered
605 Posts
With too much air in the tires, I find it hard to drive in a straight line because every little unevenness in the road, or gust of crosswind requires small steering adjustments. So I run at a pressure that is just below a pressure that requires that effort at 75 mph. For me that is 39 psi, all around, measured first thing in the morning prior to driving the car (in order to correct for air temperature, or sunlight on the tire which raises the tires' temperature - either of which influences the tire pressure reading by 0.5 to 2 psi.).

Wheel alignment can also be part of it. I replaced OEM tires at around 20k and it was way off. Had it rechecked at around 27k and was off by a small amount. In contrast to my other cars which were almost never out of alignment.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Anyone else seeing alignment going off more often than other cars? And if so, why would that tend to happen?

·
Registered
389 Posts
My car's alignment was extremely good apparently.. Even after I had 48k miles on it, I took it to an alignment shop to get it checked out, told me everything was fine just a little off on one of the wheel. That was my first alignment check since 4 years. But I think my car have some problems on certain roads, feel like the car is wobbling around on some paved roads on the highway.

·
Registered
831 Posts
My car's alignment was extremely good apparently.. Even after I had 48k miles on it, I took it to an alignment shop to get it checked out, told me everything was fine just a little off on one of the wheel. That was my first alignment check since 4 years. But I think my car have some problems on certain roads, feel like the car is wobbling around on some paved roads on the highway.
What tire brand/size do you have on your Insight? And what pressure do you inflate them?

Some roads have permanent troughs in them from heavy truck traffic and will cause tires to act like it's trying to climb out of them or follow the contours. Some tires seem to be more prone to the "wobbling" you mention under these conditions than others.

·
Registered
389 Posts
What tire brand/size do you have on your Insight? And what pressure do you inflate them?

Some roads have permanent troughs in them from heavy truck traffic and will cause tires to act like it's trying to climb out of them or follow the contours. Some tires seem to be more prone to the "wobbling" you mention under these conditions than others.
MB Seven X Wheels with Yokohoma AVID ASCNED 195/65/15
Around 30-35psi, haven't checked in a month or two. so I'm assuming that range.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Tires should be fine in that size. Hopefully your wheels are somewhere near the OEM offset. Might need a little alignment tweak. Insight might be a little sensitive to offset variation. Just a guess on my part, from limited experience with my Insight so far.

It does remind me a bit of the way my first Prius, a 2005, drove but I found a fix by upgrading the wheel's and tires at about 5k miles. I did a plus one fitment. I tested offsets at a wheel store and found a flush fit. Then decided on a high performance tire, compared to the incredibly lame and horrible tire that came on the car from the factory. Definitely made a big difference all around.

I was actually considering getting rid of the car before I switched wheels and tires. At about 20k miles I did have the alignment adjusted a little. I ended up keeping the car over 145k. Turned out to be a good road car after the fix.

The only other thing I could think of that might have the same effect you describe on your car might be a bad tire, with a bad belt or something like that.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Low rolling resistance tires may have more of a tendency to wander. 40+ psi seems to help. I have not tried any others but wonder what mpg you get with regular, +1, or +2 tires.

IMO: The steering on my car is just about right; quick and responsive. The handling is close to neutral with a little understeer when pitched in and oversteer if pushed near the limit. A little counter steering and you are back on track. Not bad for front wheel drive.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Low rolling resistance tires may have more of a tendency to wander. 40+ psi seems to help. I have not tried any others but wonder what mpg you get with regular, +1, or +2 tires.

IMO: The steering on my car is just about right; quick and responsive. The handling is close to neutral with a little understeer when pitched in and oversteer if pushed near the limit. A little counter steering and you are back on track. Not bad for front wheel drive.

LRR tires do tend to have softer sidewalls, so the response is going to be somewhat slower with them. We counter that by having higher air pressure, which stiffens the tire a bit, while at the same time helping get better MPG.

+1 and +2 tire fitments will definitely make for better turn in response, since the sidewall height is reduced cutting down sidewall deflection. At the same time, you will lose some of the soft ride quality that many enjoy with this car. It's not a mushy ride, but definitely tilted toward the comfort end of the spectrum, especially in a car of this size.

I find the Insight ride way more compliant than the last two editions of the Prius, but not in a sloppy way at all. Honda seems to work out the suspension and steering feel a lot better than Toyota. I've driven several Toyota models and have always found them to be more disconnected from road feel than I would generally like.

MPG losses can be expected if the +1 or +2 wheel is heavier and also if the actual tire circumference ended up being greater than the OEM spec. Both of those factors would really show up as a detriment to MPG if a lot of stop and go type driving is involved. A wider tire can also help drop MPG in some cases due to aero and other considerations, such as wet driving, etc.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts