Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Honda Insight Automatic
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My drivers side window rolled down and hasn't been able to roll back up, thinking that the window toggle was malfunctioning (as it was on it's way out anyways) I replaced it with a functional unit, the passenger side still works, alas the drivers side does not.

I also noticed that my lock button on my driver side door stopped working. The unlock toggle works perfectly fine. I took my door handle off and realized that there were only 3 wires so I took some spare wire and using the middle one as thats the negative, tried to force my door to lock and unlock. Same results, the unlock works. the Lock does not work. I didn't see a fuse for the door locks, I found two for the windows, those were fine, and I assume they're on the same system, switched them anyways to be safe. Passenger side window rolls up and down fine still, drivers does nothing still. I'm assuming that the two issues are related and it seems the wiring must be having an issue somewhere for both the window regulator and the lock wire of my car to be having an issue.

Does anyone happen to have a diagram of the electrical system for the doors, or have any ideas/suggestions? I'll be taking another whack at it tomorrow morning.

Can't believe my window has broken twice in nearly a 6 month period, just as it started to get cold too. :c

·
Registered
239 Posts
Well I guess the first thing you'd want to do is to close the window. You can do this even if electrically the window motor doesn't work (thanks to member @BennyMaxwell): link

NEXT TIME (for the brushes I saw were worn), if the window is stuck anywhere but the ideal location for removing the two pesky window bolts, I propose to swing the motor to a location where I can remove its cover, and then while leaving the armature IN the motor, chuck the end of it into an electric drill and DRIVE the window whither I will. You could tear up the motor this way, if you wanted to, or you could proceed gently on low speeds and be fine. Doing this press-and-rotation of the armature by hand, I estimate it took about 50-75 full revolutions to get the "platform" from the top to the bottom.
Basically, first get to this stage where the window regulator motor is out of the door (IIRC remove 3 bolts where the red arrows are) ...
Bicycle Tire Bicycle frame Wheel Crankset

... remove two screws to open the cap and expose the armature ...

Motor vehicle Gas Electrical wiring Auto part Asphalt

... then push and rotate the rotor (armature) to get the window to move (sorry I don't recall if it was clockwise or counter-clockwise to move the window up). Benny used an electric drill to rotate the rotor.

Wood Font Nail Thumb Trigger

·
Registered
2005 Honda Insight Automatic
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I read your first reply this morning when I woke up and hoped that wasn't the issue.

But I took off my door panel, couldn't get the damned window to move, checked the wiring with a test light and all the electrical wiring checked out.

couldn't lift the glass with my hands, and couldn't get a wrench to unclamp the glass window, so I whacked the motor with a long extension a few times, tried my window switch again and it worked perfectly fine... looks like you're right, the motor is what the issue is and I'll have to take it off.

on the other hand I finally replaced my window switch that was going out, now that's not gonna be an issue anymore.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts