Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my drivers side window goes down fine, but closes rreeaaall slllooww, and its getting worse. it doesnt appear to be binding or sticking in its track. anyone ever had to change a window motor? are they riveted in the door like some of the others ive seen? im curious because i dont want to take the door apart if i cant finish troubleshooting it, and replace the motor(if needed) all in one day.

any info/advice appreciated

thx

lear

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
The run channel(s) need lubrication.

Try silicone spray, or if you want the best you'll need to order Shin Etsu silicone grease from your local dealer. $15-$20 for a lifetime supply tube (medium sized). Apply with your finger or Q-tip.

Contunue to operate the window(s) in this condition and you _will_ need a new regulator assembly. :shock: ;)

·
Registered
344 Posts
Contunue to operate the window(s) in this condition and you _will_ need a new regulator assembly
Or a new window channel seal like I do. This past spring, I didn't take the time to lube the channel. One night I was coming home from work very late (4am.), tired, etc. and pushed the window switch up. It came up very slow, but didn't close. I tried it a couple more times with no luck. When I got home , I tried to pull it up when I noticed that the rubber seal was pulled up and wadded at the top of the vertical. The window had actually pulled the seal up a couple of inches. I trimmed off the wadded torn piece. Now the seal is about one inch short at the top. So the lack of a $15 tube of silicone will cost me about $45 + shipping and my time to install.

·
Registered
131 Posts
how do you lube the run channel? I think I should do this too, after my most recent beach trip I've noticed the windows go up much slower than they did at first. do I just smear the lubricant into the window track?

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
If your using silicone spray then use enough to allow it to dribble down into the channel inside the door.

Silicone grease has a much longer "staying power" life. I use a q-tip. A thin film is sufficient. And not as necessary lower in the track.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
used a lil silicone spray....window works fine now. gonna get the grease when i go into the dealership to order a timing belt(for a civic :) )

mebbe i outta get a manual as well

thx again all!!

lear

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Next time clean the run channel out as best as you can first, it helps to start with a clean smooth surface. The Shin Etsu grease will provide lube for the run channels for a long time. I think I had 6 months on mine when I sold the car and they were still running like new. Also while your at it put a thin coating of the grease on your door and hatch weather moldings, it will keep them in good shape, they apply it at the factory.

·
Registered
80 Posts
seems like im having the slow window behaviour like many people

im gonna try the silicone spray at first

how do i apply the spray?
do i just spray it down into the door where the window comes up?
do i do it with the window up or down?

thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts