Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
at 30k i was having slow window movement. the dealer said it was dirty runner tracks and cleaned the windows. no charge. at near 50k or so the drivers window regualtor stopped. when the mechanic looked at it he hit the button and the window went up. charged me $90 for a service charge. just after warrenty ended both regualtors failed. luckily my main dealer replaced both regualtors for lobor cost only.

now the drivers side reg. is failing again. anyone have similar plroblems? any thoughts?

2002 standard 64.3 mpg @ 100k

·
Registered
109 Posts
Resist said:
I've been saying all along the power windows on the Insight suck. I knew it just wasn't me!
So that makes one documented failure and one percieved failure to conclude that the power windows suck? I think a larger sample needs to be taken to make an intelligent assumption...

·
Registered
295 Posts
JeffKinTN said:
So that makes one documented failure and one percieved failure to conclude that the power windows suck? I think a larger sample needs to be taken to make an intelligent assumption...
Wouw......I think that many Insight owners can tell a personal story about the powered windows. I have had window faillures. Both damaged channels are gonna be replaced (for free) due to my luck of somebody smashed my windows to take my radio. Both channels are verry bad, even before this event. My windows worked verry bad.
So this was my luck in a bad luck situation.
That makes two documented failures ...........

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had to have the regulator replaced on the drivers side at about 40,000 km. Knock on wood there have been no problems with the passenger side as of 90,000km.

Best regards,
Steve

·
Registered
109 Posts
Now, they are starting to smell a little....

·
Registered
161 Posts
I just fixed a similar problem in my Vette. The brushes stick or something and the act of taking the system apart to inspect the problem fixes the problem. The windows work fine now but I suspsect it is just a matter of time before they go out again. Vettes are known for power window issues.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
2002 Bluebelle with about 13k miles was slow. Now with 18k sometimes window will not go up at all without help. it is passenger side only. No problem with driver side.

We are wondering about bringing it in without it being truly broken, as that raises the possibility that the dealer will just test it, say it is fine, and not fix it (or worse bill us as for harryhaller).

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
In all fairness, both Insight's and S2000's have window issues. There are many documented cases of the regulators burning up, or the run channels bunching up and needing replaced ($$$). There are possible preventative matenience I've posted before for cleaning and lubing the run channels, and even a possible reset procedure for the regulator. I have 3 years and 38K on mine and the windows seem to be working just fine with occasional matenience, and yes I know most other cars don't require much of any window matenience. So time will tell if the repairs are preventable or not. At least the Honda Care I have covers the run channels and regulators.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Design Flaw?

Design flaw?
This is not a design flaw in the window control switch... it is intentional...
Most high-end cars have this feature nowadays.

I believe the purpose is to support our 'instant gratification' culture... it is just way way to much work and effort to have to "continue holding a window switch all the way down" while waiting for the window to open! :wink:

Personally I love it!

·
Registered
489 Posts
I can't say for sure, but I suspect that disabling the auto-up would probrably be VERY easy to do. You probrably only have to disconnect a single wire.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Mine were too

Mine were sluggsh as well, untill I lubed the channels. Works great now, fast up and down. 3M silicone lube with applicator nozzle / tube to get in the channel. Try not to get overspray on the glass, kinda foggy where it does get.

·
Registered
47 Posts
at about 35,000 mi., my passenger-side window wouldn't go up. i removed the panel to check for a dirty track, etc. bad move. (more in a sec.)

i eventually had to take it in to the dealer. he told me i VOIDED the warranty because i took off the door panel. (crap) understandable though. luckily, the mechanic decided to be a "cool dude" and not report that minor infraction to 'honda care'. 'honda care' covered it 100%. even got a free rental car for a couple of days waiting for the part came in.

yes, i'm a lucky bastid.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Nawty boy

Neva tell a dealer you even touched anything under warranty! :(
Don't even let on you know anything about the car, untill they try to screw you over something. :shock:
Then, of course, bust 'em. :evil:

·
Registered
57 Posts
yep same here

yeah.. sounds like a design flaw. my driver side window sometimes takes 10 seconds to close the last 2 inches. this was happening 10,000 miles back and i had it fixed for free at the honda dealership. now it seems it needs yet another cleaning.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Re: Mine were too

Wayne M said:
Mine were sluggsh as well, untill I lubed the channels. Works great now, fast up and down. 3M silicone lube with applicator nozzle / tube to get in the channel.
Wayne, any way you might be able to doctor up a shot of the window indicating where these channels are? It sounds like a lot of people would benefit.

i always assumed that this issue was a result of dirt from the windows rubbing off on the mechanics handling the window operation... lubing isn't going to 'gum up' the mechanism and cause more problems down the road will it? When i had it fixed a few months back they said the mechanism was just dirty and needed to be cleaned.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts