Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

What window tint strategies have you all employed?

In my tests so far I put on some cheap "Insta-cling" brand which when I used baby oil instead of water to lube it up didn't peel off as soon as it got hot - see below.

I placed it over the small rear side windows (cut out using a template I made) and over the top 1/4 approximately of the rear window so that it did not obstruct my view out the back. I just used water for this application for figgy's Insight (Edwin) and GF's (Jane).

For the hatchback, on iteration #1, I cut the hatchback piece with a template as well to fit exactly, but where it lay over the bumpy edge areas (the funny black bumps) it came off when it got hot in the sun with just water for application.

I then trimmed it down to avoid the bumps, and used baby oil as the adherent. So far it is staying in place in the hot sun.

The edges of the water adhered side windows were coming up a bit, so I also temporarily stuck some of my fabulous floor matting foam cut into long wedge shapes into the permiter around the windows to keep the edges of the tint stuff from popping up. It's grey foam, so it isn't as horrible as one might imagine. This is just the test for functionality.

On the GF's insight, I just used the foam and left the hatchback piece the full size (over the bumpy areas) with water as the adherent. It remains to be seen if the foam around the perimiter is sufficient to keep it up there.

So far so good.

I'll post images at the web site when I know it works and can upgrade the quality of my work to avoid being ashamed.

If it all falls off, then I'll need a new strategy.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did they do the hatchback as well?

How long has is lasted so far?

Looks like it is still in good shape.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Yeah I agree, you can pay a little more, have someone do it right and it'll be warrantied for life in some cases.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
I have tinted windows of my previous cars myself. I found the harder parts to do where where the windows have strong curves. Not to have "plis" (sorry for a lack of good words: where the material folds against itself and creates a darker line)

Not all window wipers can follow the windshield curves (specially the lower passenger corner) so I beleive that both sides of the windshield are hard not to mess up.

I too would pay for this.

P.S. By "curves" above, I did not mean just a bend in 2D (fold) but one in 3D like a sphere (ball)

·
Registered
700 Posts
figgy said:
Did they do the hatchback as well?

How long has is lasted so far?

Looks like it is still in good shape.
Actually it is only 3 months old, but guaranteed for life. I have had several other cars with the same tint and never had a problem.

It was about $170 for the whole job, including the hatch and the little back window.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pro vs. Bozo

Sounds like a professional job is affordable - but not as fun as messing it up again and again at great expense in the quest to save $3. :lol:

·
Registered
700 Posts
Re: Pro vs. Bozo

figgy said:
Sounds like a professional job is affordable - but not as fun as messing it up again and again at great expense in the quest to save $3. :lol:
:lol: The "joys" of DIY....

·
Registered
652 Posts
I had the llumar platinum 30% put on for 120. I chose it for its heat rejection. Lifetime warranty and no problems since installed in early 02. Have fun, Rick

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Rick:

___I thought the Lumar being discussed around here was also available in an ~ 50% tint as well? The reason I ask is I do quite a bit of before the suns up and long after the sun goes down commuting … How is the view outside of the 30% when in the dark? Do you do much night driving I guess I should have asked? Holicow, you are using the Lumar 30% heat ejection as well IIRC, right?

___Thanks in advance.

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:2bs961py][email protected][/email:2bs961py]

·
Registered
700 Posts
xcel:

I have had this same tint for the last 5 years (on different cars). Yes, it is 30%. It does reduce visibility somewhat in the dark, but I have not found it to be to the point that I thought it was unsafe. It reduces glare from headlights behind very well.

I certainly would not go lower, though (illegal anway, which brings up another point: you should check what is the darkest allowable. It varies by state)..

I don't know if it comes in higher transmission, but pretty sure it does. If you don't want to go with the darker due to visibility, you could put 50% on the front side windows, and 30% everywhere else.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Wayne,
I am fairly certain it is 30% but I know it is the darkest allowed in SC. (Lower numer is darker as I recall, % transmitted). They were willing to use darker material but if you want the lifetime guarantee it has to be legal. It is about as dark as the lower hatch. Anyway I usually make a quarter to half of my commute at night and have no problems. The mirror like finish looks good with the silverstone paint. I had them put a strip along the top of the windshield. I don't neccessarily like the strips appearance on the outside but I do like the glare reduction on the inside. Sort of like having the see through visors. Since my car is outside all the time I thought I should have it done for the heat rejection. I still think that recals are related to the insight sitting in the sun once too many times. (Never had one until the end of my first summer with the car). Have fun, RIck

·
Registered
140 Posts
Question for those with tinted windows...

How did your tinter handle the little dots at the edges of the windows? Most windows now-a-days seem to have at least a double row of those dots and I noticed the rear hatch (at least in '00) has about a 4" band across the top. Typically the tint doesn't stick well at that point which results in a "white" band around the edge of the glass.

From what I read the typical solutions are to sand down the dots which can scratch the glass if not extremely carefully done, or put some type of "goo" under the edge of the tint to help seal the dots which can lead to a noticeable optical distortion...especially with wide dot bands.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Corey872: They just tinted right over them, to the edge of the window. No special preparation. Yes, sometimes it doesn't stick completely in these areas, but it has not been unsightly. It is not apparent on my Insight, but was more on past cars that I have had.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts