Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying not using AC since it does effect my mpg. What I cant tell is if having the front 2 half or fully open really has any effect.

Anyone else tried this or notice any effects or changes?

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app

·
Registered
234 Posts
What speeds are we talking about here? I think that factors in when opening the windows.

From the revisited "A/C vs. Windows" myth/debate on MythBusters:

The fundamental flaw in the MythBusters' test was that the point where the drag becomes powerful enough to inhibit a car's performance with windows down was inside their 45–55mph margin at 50mph. Going less than 50mph it is more efficient to leave the windows down, but going greater than 50mph it is more efficient to use the A/C.
Personally, I don't open the windows too often, even if it's a nice day - and certainly not at highway speeds. I'll either use A/C (if needed) or nothing.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its going 56mph with the OEM Honda window visors. I obtained 77mpg on my way home from work today and the other days with my windows opened I got the same mpg. I use to drive with windows opened an inch or so, but still protected by the visors.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Cobb: I don't have an answer to your question and have performed no testing of my own. With that said- I believe the rule of thumb is that if you're going about 40 or above constantly then you are better off using the A/C, as opposed to the windows. (I realize you said that you are using the window visors)

A/C's have certainly become more efficient. I remember driving a 1992 cavalier; when you activated the A/C the decrease in power was immediately noticeable. This certainly isn't the case for new cars, including the insight.

As a sophisticated poster, I realize you are probably aware of all of this. With this said- it is advantageous to turn off the A/C if it would keep the engine from shutting off at stops.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just wanted to compare notes with another person who rolls down their windows. I cant tell a difference in MPG so far. Ive seen a hit as big as 15mpg with the AC on high blower speed.

The past few times I have used the ac I start off on medium blower speed, then once the car starts to cool I reduce it to almost the lowest speed and its still comfortable inside.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I just wanted to compare notes with another person who rolls down their windows. I cant tell a difference in MPG so far. Ive seen a hit as big as 15mpg with the AC on high blower speed.

The past few times I have used the ac I start off on medium blower speed, then once the car starts to cool I reduce it to almost the lowest speed and its still comfortable inside.

Ever since you told me that the Insights AC doesn't work like a house HVAC, I just run it on low all of the time and adjust the fan speeds. In the past, I was under the mistaken impression that running the AC at higher temps caused the compressor to kick on less; thus saving fuel.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah? I always set the temp knob to Lo and use the fan speed to vary the temp when using AC. For heat I am all over the place.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
Cobb
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing