Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First things first: assurances to the moderators that I did try multiple searches...but it's complicated by the fact that there's no agreement on what, in fact, this strip is called.

I'm referring to the strip/band/banner of tint that is often installed along the upper edge of a windshield (and usually done by the installer). I'm wondering if anyone has ever found along the way a commercially produced version that's custom for the Insight but also might carry some sort of ID graphics....like, um, "Insight" or, failing that then, "Honda" (or something). Anyone?

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Thanks for the extra effort in searching. Its when questions get so frequently asked that there is an answer on the first page of a forum where the second is asked that its hard not feeling being taken for granted.

AFAIK most any tint shop can do what you want. I've got a 40% mirrorized band across mine. And a graphics shop can detail it anyway you'd choose. As limited production that the Insight is such specific mass produced accessories is almost an oxymoron. ;)

See the pic on my web pages. Link in sig

HTH! :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Trekker...

But did I miss the photo you were pointing me to? In those 5 pages I saw only one photo of the front exterior and that was from a low enough angle that I wasn't sure what I was supposed to be seeing at the top of the windshield.

In any case...I know that any tint shop can do the basic band/banner/strip (had it done on my Del Sol)...but it's the graphics on it that I'm looking for. And you're saying that a graphics shop (what kind?) can put the type on it? How does that work then? Do you have the tint shop cut the strip and then go get the graphics added? Or the other way around -- have the graphics shop produce the font or logo in an appropriate size and then take that to the tinter?

·
Registered
116 Posts
This is an interesting question. You may need to go to the tint shop and get the band premeasured and cut out. Then you would bring that band over to the graphics shop and have them cut out the lettering or graphics you desire. Then you could either put that strip on by yourself or take it back to the tint shop and have them put it on. Or you could just buy the tint at an automotive store, cut it yourself, and bring it to the graphics shop... and then put it on by yourself later on. So many options! ;)

The only thing I would be concerned about is legality. I do not know where you are located (sorry if you mentioned it before), but in California it's actually illegal to have that strip of tint on the top of your windshield - no matter how wide. If the actual windshield glass is tinted by the factory (usually translucent green or blue), that is ok. But at least in California, I know it's illegal to have that front strip added on afterwards. I've never known anybody to get a ticket for it but ... to be forewarned is better than not knowing at all. I guess. :D

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here in New Mexico they allow the band, but I believe the upper limit of its height is 6".

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
xqqqme said:
Thanks, Trekker...

But did I miss the photo you were pointing me to? In those 5 pages I saw only one photo of the front exterior and that was from a low enough angle that I wasn't sure what I was supposed to be seeing at the top of the windshield.
Sorry didn't mean to waste your time. Yup :!: The pic doesn't clearly reveal the band at all (but I know its there ;) ) . Hadn't looked at it that closely since I snapped it.

minako's got the other points covered. :)

HTH! :)

·
Registered
323 Posts
This is not a tint, but this guy on ebay makes custom decals, you could contact him. Just search hybrid decal and you will find him, seller name is Big City Images. This is not the tint, but if you wanted a worded decal to go across the top of the window, he may be able to make it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts