1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
Awesome video. Great close-ups of rebending the metal tabs.

Looking forward to part 2: reinstallation, and part 3: the small trim piece behind the molding where leaks into the 1/4 window happen. :)

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
Really useful. Thanks Scott.

What happens to the tabs that are cut off. Are they trapped in the car somewhere or do they fall out?

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
Much needed video. Thanks to Scott's verbal instructions I did this five times yesterday on 2 parts cars for practice and then on a car I was selling. Didn't break any of the plastic clips. I found 2 blue A pillars on the shelf that were basically destroyed by incorrect removal by someone that did not know what they were doing. Not sure were they came from but assuming they are junk now. In any event, great stuff. I also want to know what Mountain Driver mentioned on removing the piece just to the rear of the A Pillar. I have a car in which those pieces look like the paint has bubbled. Not sure of the cause but they need to be removed and repainted and curious about any preparation under those pieces. Keep up the good work Scott!

And Pascal some of the clip pieces are trapped in the car and are irretrievable. Nothing you can do about that.
Gerald

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Thanks a million, Scott. The video is priceless! I can't wait to take you out to dinner when I visit in the future. You are one of the reasons I love this car and hope to keep it (them) as long as my heart beats. And that will be a long time...Again, we all really appreciate your time and effort.

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I went ahead and linked to the cheaper Amazon clips in the video comments :).

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I thought all cars had the shoulder bolt as well as the end clip. I did not need to replace my end clips since the piece just slides off of it. All the rest of my clips I had to break to get the trim piece off.

·
Super Moderator
7,780 Posts
I thought all cars had the shoulder bolt as well as the end clip. I did not need to replace my end clips since the piece just slides off of it. All the rest of my clips I had to break to get the trim piece off.
You are correct, the car has both. The white plastic clip is just hard to see up under the edge of the fender. Both parts are available on the Majestic parts list.

Much to do about nothing, unfortunately started by my inattention. I have deleted the incorrect chatter in Scott's wonderful thread.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Thanks for the Video Scott!!

I went ahead and linked to the cheaper Amazon clips in the video comments :).
Thanks... I just discovered I need some replacement clips.

The passenger side pillar molding on my insight has a lot of play, so I peeked under there, and there's only a couple of clips along w/ some black rubber sealant (butyl?) holding it on. I didn't need a pick to partially pull the molding off to get a better view of the hack job.

Another thing to add to my growing "to do list".

·
Registered
467 Posts
Very nice tutorial Scott, thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
Stay tuned boys, more videos will be coming in the future!

·
Super Moderator
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the nice comments.

Thanks to Balto as he is my camera man, he did a great job.

This is the first video that I have ever posted. In the future we plan on shooting several more to include, instalation of the moulding we removed, rear coil spring installation, installation of an aluminum underbody panel, belt moulding installation, door trim panel removal & more.

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
467 Posts

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
Interesting - I was just working with white clips on a Honda Civic that fasten the plastic rocker panel to the body, that I'm pretty sure are exactly the same as those white moulding clips. But on the Civic, the holes in the body are square rather than round -- and you can just rotate those clips about 45 degrees and they come right out... The rocker panel slides off the clips when you push the panel toward the front of the car (or maybe it's pull it toward the rear) - so you don't need to break them. And then you rotate the clips remaining on the body, pull them out, re-insert them on the rocker panel, and then you can just pop the rocker panel with clips back on to the body...

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I believe the CR-V and a couple Acuras use these same clips for some lower body mouldings.

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
Thanks for all the nice comments.

Thanks to Balto as he is my camera man, he did a great job.

This is the first video that I have ever posted. In the future we plan on shooting several more to include, instalation of the moulding we removed, rear coil spring installation, installation of an aluminum underbody panel, belt moulding installation, door trim panel removal & more.

Thanks,
Scott
Good news to see. Thanks guys. Please include the small molding strip behind the roof molding.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts