Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title. Tldr is Safelite swore they had the clips in stock, then in their warehouse, then that they were shipped from Honda, then that they were ordered from Honda and now it turns out 3 weeks and a million calls into trying to get my windshield fixed they never shipped and they might have clips by f***ing April. They won't even let me buy the clips and have them installed.

Of course this happens right before my time limit to pass the Maryland vehicle inspection...

I've gone with 3rd party glass installers before and the quality of the windshield was pretty bad, so I'm hoping to find someone that can do decent work

·
Super Moderator
4,939 Posts
Just have them do the windshield so you can pass inspection and worry about the moldings later. Get the clips from Scott and do them yourself.

Sam

·
Super Moderator
1,677 Posts
Yep, I can ship clips today. 😀

Scott

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, for some reason I thought the pillars were required to keep the windshield in place. So it's just a covering to keep out moisture? Do I need any special tools to remove/install besides something to cut the old clips?

·
Super Moderator
4,939 Posts
Not even that. It's cosmetic and doesn't affect the windshield. Watch this video to understand the process.

Sam

·
Super Moderator
7,772 Posts
You'll see from the video how simple removal is. Take the garnishes off yourself. At least half the windshield shops mangle and break the tangs on the underside of the garnishes, Then they GLUE them in place, because the tangs won't hold, causing the garnishes to blow off later.

DO NOT TRUST the garnishes to a windshield shop. I did and was sorry, like many other owners. If you aren't at all handy with tools, you can maybe find a friend to help. It isn't rocket science - just a little patient probing to unhook the tangs from the clips.

You can just put a bit of painter's blue tape over the clip holes, to keep out water, until you get the time to put the garnishes back on. I think it will pass inspection without the garnishes because they aren't safety items.

You can buy the little picks at Harbor Freight. They have a nice little kit of four with orange handles. You can probably get a little better one at NAPA.

Don't even ask the windshield shop about removing the garnishes - just do it. Find a small family operated glass shop and forget Safelite. In my book, they have already worn out their welcome. If you can find someone with an open mind, they might watch the video. Be cautious with the "Oh, we've done hundreds of those, we know exactly how its done."

Just the benefit of my sadly acquired first hand experience:(

·
Super Moderator
7,772 Posts
You'll see from the video how simple removal is. Take the garnishes off yourself. At least half the windshield shops mangle and break the tangs on the underside of the garnishes, Then they GLUE them in place, because the tangs won't hold, causing the garnishes to blow off later.

DO NOT TRUST the garnishes to a windshield shop. I did and was sorry, like many other owners. If you aren't at all handy with tools, you can maybe find a friend to help. It isn't rocket science - just a little patient probing to unhook the tangs from the clips.

You can just put a bit of painter's blue tape over the clip holes, to keep out water, until you get the time to put the garnishes back on. I think it will pass inspection without the garnishes because they aren't safety items.

You can buy the little picks at Harbor Freight. They have a nice little kit of four with orange handles. You can probably get a little better one at NAPA.

Don't even ask the windshield shop about removing the garnishes - just do it. Find a small family operated glass shop and forget Safelite. In my book, they have already worn out their welcome. If you can find someone with an open mind, they might watch the video. Be cautious with the "Oh, we've done hundreds of those, we know exactly how its done."

Just the benefit of my sadly acquired first hand experience:(

·
Super Moderator
7,772 Posts
OBTW, you can call Scott by phone at nine oh nine, six oh five, 38 one oh.

·
Premium Member
10,332 Posts
What does an "oh" look like?
Can't you just use numbers Jimmy. for us ol farts.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

That makes me feel a lot better. I am not mechanically inclined in any way, but I do still love my car and want to fix it right. I'd heard nothing but praise for Safelite before so it kinda threw me off.

Imma order the parts from scott once Im able to make sure I don't need the front and back clips

·
Super Moderator
7,772 Posts
It is practically unheard of to need the front and back clips. If you should by remote chance need them, you can always give him a call. He is wonderfully accommodating. All the Insight "regulars" love the support they get from him. Even if you aren't mechanically inclined, watch the video so you can get the understanding of what needs to be done in a practical sense. Try to get your selected windshield shop to watch the video. The Insight gen1 is so rare, we should not expect generally qualified shops to know how to do the garnishes correctly. It is "our" dilemma, but we love the cars anyway. Just remember, InsightCentral is your friend:)

BTW, there will be a Insight Meet in Frederick, MD. sometime in the spring. The meet concentrates on small fixes, fluid changes, and socializing. You might benefit and meet some other MD owners.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is practically unheard of to need the front and back clips. If you should by remote chance need them, you can always give him a call. He is wonderfully accommodating. All the Insight "regulars" love the support they get from him. Even if you aren't mechanically inclined, watch the video so you can get the understanding of what needs to be done in a practical sense. Try to get your selected windshield shop to watch the video. The Insight gen1 is so rare, we should not expect generally qualified shops to know how to do the garnishes correctly. It is "our" dilemma, but we love the cars anyway. Just remember, InsightCentral is your friend:)

BTW, there will be a Insight Meet in Frederick, MD. sometime in the spring. The meet concentrates on small fixes, fluid changes, and socializing. You might benefit and meet some other MD owners.
Yea I used to live in orange county, so I was lucky to be able to use Scott a couple time. Had a rattling noise in low 2nd and 3rd that I could swear was a bad tranny bearing but Scott tracked it down to something loose inside. Mad respect from me. Still rocking my belly pan and shocks 4 years later.

I'll definitely shoot to hit that meet, I missed all the Cali ones. I haven't seen a single insight out here since I moved.

·
Registered
596 Posts
If we are going to talk about Scott let me add my experience. I have twice been in Jue Motors for Scott's help. He is the Insight Whisperer. He put his shocks, springs and belly pan on the car as well as going over it from one end to the other on one visit, my first. Every little thing was fixed, adjusted or made right. Scott id s great mechanic, meticulous and thorough. The shop is spotless, always an important sign. And he is just a really nice guy to boot. I'm just grateful to have him as a resource. Every penny I have spent there was money well-spent.

·
Super Moderator
1,677 Posts
Clips shipped out today.

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've had two Insight windshields replaced, and am going to replace two more windshields shortly. Safelite "says" they do the clips and such, but reality is they don't. We all need to procure the clips (from Scott) then remove/install the moldings ourselves. Don't forget to loosen up that 10mm(?) bolt at the front of the molding on each side.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts