Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of a good place to get a 1st Gen windshield replaced in NorCal (within about 50 miles of Sacramento)? I've got a huge crack in mine and need it replaced, but don't really trust folks who aren't familiar with the car (e.g seat belt leak point).

Alternatively, a full start to end DIY video with parts list and a place to buy a windshield would be cool as well. I've been searching but haven't found the glass.

I've also seen the list of needed clips here, but can't help the feeling there are other parts needed (sealant?).

Thanks in advance.

RP

·
Super Moderator
1,550 Posts
I don’t think replacing a windshield is very DIY.

There are a few specialty tools and techniques and supplies that take some investment, for something you do how often? There are special glass knives, scrapers to trim the urethane, suction cups to handle the glass, power caulk gun to get the bead of urethane even, primer for bare metal, portable stand to ready the new glass, etc. Even down to transporting the new glass to the car, do you have a rack or a vehicle big enough to get it there with out breaking it? Most glass guys or companies have trucks or vans to transport it and the tools to the job.

Cutting a windshield can be tricky, difficult and dangerous. Use a glass knife requires a fair amount of strength and control. Normally you have to get the hook blade started under the glass and then with two hands you control the handle and with the other hand pull toward yourself. If you slip, you take the chance of gouging the paint on your car or worse, smashing yourself in the face.

Getting the old urethane cut down correctly and the new bead set at the proper thickness is a bit of an art. If you think a good old fashioned caulking gun is sufficient you may be in for a surprise.

I’ve been in the auto repair business in some aspect for more than 35 years,
I don’t do my own glass. I suggest in most cases you use a glass professional.

I do recommend if you are capable to remove the mouldings yourself do so. I have made the YouTube videos of removal and reinstallation. I also stock, sell and ship all the necessary clips.

Not everyone may agree with me. In another thread not long ago, a forum member suggested that you could go hang out at the glass warehouse in your local area and offer glass guys an extra $20.00 if they would get you a windshield at there price. How about you just let a professional make a living once in a while.

Scott

·
Super Moderator
1,550 Posts
Safelite did mine 210.00 lifetime warrnty
Which is reasonable.

You would need to check with them if they supply the clips. You would possibly be better doing the mouldings yourself and still have them do the glass.

Scott

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
I get the windshields from Mygrant Glass for $96 but they won't sell direct to the public. Maybe offer someone at a glass shop $20 to pick one up for you. Add $10 for two tubes of adhesive, $15 for the upper molding, $10 for a mirror mount. Then you will need the clips for the side moldings. I've done a few windshields and the Insight is fairly straightforward but I have $2,000 in glass tools. Sure you could get one out with a $20 old school cold knife but that is a lot of physical effort.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Safelite did mine 210.00 lifetime warrnty
Holy cow that's cheap. I just got a quote from an independent import place today and they wanted 440. Too much, imo, which you just proved. Haha

Appreciate everyone's feedback.

If I can get safelite to do the glass for about 250 then, without a doubt, I'll do that.

·
Super Moderator
4,806 Posts
Good on you. You will be letting a legitimate business make a profit instead of trying to cheat them out of it with an under the table deal.

Sam

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good on you. You will be letting a legitimate business make a profit instead of trying to cheat them out of it with an under the table deal.

Sam
Not following. What's the under the table deal being referenced? Are you referring to having someone buy just the glass for me so I can do the work myself?

Wouldn't be under the table if it's purchased "over the counter". 🙃

That said, I'm not a fan of closed parts ecosystems, having found too many instances of "dealer only" parts availability thwarting my ability to repair my own stuff (most recently on my motorhome), which is why I also support "right to repair" legislation.

One way or another I'll get the repair done (by my hand or someone else's) without also getting taken on the price.

Thanks for all the feedback.

·
Super Moderator
4,806 Posts
Not following. What's the under the table deal being referenced? Are you referring to having someone buy just the glass for me so I can do the work myself?

Wouldn't be under the table if it's purchased "over the counter". 🙃

That said, I'm not a fan of closed parts ecosystems, having found too many instances of "dealer only" parts availability thwarting my ability to repair my own stuff (most recently on my motorhome), which is why I also support "right to repair" legislation.

One way or another I'll get the repair done (by my hand or someone else's) without also getting taken on the price.

Thanks for all the feedback.
Exactly. You're cheating the seller if you get an employee to buy it for you. See Post #5.

·
Super Moderator
429 Posts
Here's what you should do.

Remove the pillar moldings yourself. To do that, you should watch's KLR3CYL/Scott's video on removing the pillar moldings.

This is the only proven method to remove the moldings without damaging them.

You are going to need new clips. They are going to cost you about $20 per side. Buy them from Scott. His price is very reasonable.

After you have removed the moldings, have a professional windshield installer install a new windshield on your car.

Before you reinstall the pillar moldings, you should do the wet seat-belt fix. Watch this video of Scott's to learn more.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I live in Roseville and I had Safelite do it. I talked to the tech and told him all about my concerns and he understood where I was coming from and did a bang up job. No problems whatsoever.

Until I got in a minor front end accident and insurance totaled it. So I have a red 00 MT parts for sale if you need anything. Windshield is broken though 😕

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
windshield

I live in Roseville and I had Safelite do it. I talked to the tech and told him all about my concerns and he understood where I was coming from and did a bang up job. No problems whatsoever.

Until I got in a minor front end accident and insurance totaled it. So I have a red 00 MT parts for sale if you need anything. Windshield is broken though 😕
Did you remove the pillar mouldings before safelite did the work on the glass, or did they do it all?

Also, I’m sure there are parts that I could use that you may have. original size wheels, strakes, maybe seats?

thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
I didn’t prepare the car in any way for the windshield replacement. Whatever they did, they must have done well because I never had an issue afterwards.

PM me with a list of anything you might be interested in. I’ll be making a post soon about parting it out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts