Honda Insight Forum banner

Windshield Replacement

13497 31
Has anyone replaced their windshield with other than OEM?

More or less glare?

More or less chip resistence?

Can I see a picture of how aftermarket windshield black edging looks and around the rear view mirror?

My insurance said that I will have to pay $300 of the $650 for an OEM windshield.

Attachments

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

· Registered
96 Posts
Is it really worthwhile to replace these expensive clips for the mouldings on each side of the windshield?

Is it possible to get a good installation result with just gluing them with eurethane at each fastening point?
I don't know about urethane, but I know foam tape won't work! That's what my installer used, and they had to go back and buy the clips and a new trim piece. $30 of clips is better than $300 of trim. :-(

· Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yes it is.

My last windshield install cost the installer new cowl moulding clips and both exterior A pillar moldings.

After just 18 months those white clips shattered and some destroyed the body colored moldings.

You can skip the clips and then you might have gaps. Wind can get under the mouldings and then you'll hear a loud snap and then see your parts flying behind you as I did.

Or you'll just get water inside the car and drip down the B pillar into the seatbelt retractor and then it may fail.

They don't seem that expensive now, right?

· Registered
213 Posts
Yes it is.

My last windshield install cost the installer new cowl moulding clips and both exterior A pillar moldings.

After just 18 months those white clips shattered and some destroyed the body colored moldings.

You can skip the clips and then you might have gaps. Wind can get under the mouldings and then you'll hear a loud snap and then see your parts flying behind you as I did.

Or you'll just get water inside the car and drip down the B pillar into the seatbelt retractor and then it may fail.

They don't seem that expensive now, right?
I don't understand what you are saying exactly here. The clips don't last?
Then why is it recommended to use them?

Actually, I would guess that black urethane (the product they use typically around the windshield) is probably stronger than the original clips if you put enough of it. The potential problem might be actually the contrary, that if you need to remove the moulding later for whatever reason, it might be a pain. The other doubt in my mind also is alignement.

Note that I am in Canada. The shipping cost is not the same here and most parts are more expensive too. I am not sure about the exact cost of them if I order them myself and I don't want to wait severals weeks to get them. I would like my windshield replaced in the next 2 weeks during my vacations.

I called my local Honda dealer just have an idea and just one of these clips cost 15$/unit another one 7$ there are 5 differrent models the guy told me. Here I read that 4 models need to be replaced for about 65$.

I verified on the net and the only one I found was 20$ + shipping, it's not written if it's for each clip or for a kit. I am a bit confused.

· Registered
213 Posts
I don't know about urethane, but I know foam tape won't work! That's what my installer used, and they had to go back and buy the clips and a new trim piece. $30 of clips is better than $300 of trim. :-(
Foam tape is really a stupid idea. No comparison with urethane.
Urethane is extremely sticky and strong like the suspension bushings.

I bought a new moulding in a scrap yard and noticed that it was hold by small spots of black urethane.

Were do you buy the clips for 30$?
From what I learned here, I need 20 clips.

· Registered
96 Posts
From oemacuraparts.com (Peoria Honda), which is where I order most of my parts:

33 91503-S3Y-003 CLIP, FR. PILLAR (A) 1 $3.87 $2.90 Add to Cart
38 91511-S3Y-003 CLIP, FR. PILLAR GARNISH (F) 1 $5.62 $4.22 Add to Cart

You need 14 of the first and 2 of the second for the whole car. So that's $44.82 plus shipping for the whole car. The $30 was from my head for one side. HTH :)

· Registered
213 Posts
From oemacuraparts.com (Peoria Honda), which is where I order most of my parts:

33 91503-S3Y-003 CLIP, FR. PILLAR (A) 1 $3.87 $2.90 Add to Cart
38 91511-S3Y-003 CLIP, FR. PILLAR GARNISH (F) 1 $5.62 $4.22 Add to Cart

You need 14 of the first and 2 of the second for the whole car. So that's $44.82 plus shipping for the whole car. The $30 was from my head for one side. HTH :)
Thanks.

In an old post, someone wrote also about the 91504 and 91505 clips.
You don't consider them as necessary?

· Registered
96 Posts
Thanks.

In an old post, someone wrote also about the 91504 and 91505 clips.
You don't consider them as necessary?

91504 is a single button-like clip that stays on the car. Neither side of mine broke -- the trim piece kind of slides over it. 91505 looks like the other clips that stay on the car -- tabs on the trim piece push into those if the tabs aren't gone. At least that's what it looks like to me from the diagram. I'm in the middle of ordering parts myself, but I'm pretty sure of which one's I need. I can try to post pictures of my car without the trim if that will help.

Here is the parts diagram I'm looking at:
OEM HONDA INSIGHT 2001 MOLDING parts, genuine HONDA replacement parts.

· Registered
228 Posts
Has anyone replaced their windshield with other than OEM?

More or less glare?

More or less chip resistence?

Can I see a picture of how aftermarket windshield black edging looks and around the rear view mirror?

My insurance said that I will have to pay $300 of the $650 for an OEM windshield.
I'm curious about this also.
So besides buying and replacing the plastic clips for the A pillar, do we have to buy and supply the oem windshield moldings also if we plan on getting the windshield replaced by a independent company? Or do they supply that?

· Super Moderator
2,161 Posts
If I remember correctly its 18 clips total, the 2 very front ones are different than the rest. Be sure the installer puts sealer around the rear clips of the mouldings or you might have wet seat belt problems.

The windsheild used in my car is an AP Tech, it does not come with the upper moulding. I ordered a new OE part. There is a chance they can transfer your old one to a new glass, however if its not installed well it will start to pull off, I have seen this happen on a fellow enthusiasts car that had one done about the same time mine was done, by a different installer.

The aftermarket windsheild are about $150-200 for the part.

The factory glass is about $650 list price.

HTH,
Scott

· Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I've had 2 ftermarket windshields in 2 Years.

The glare is worse. This time around I had them apply the tint so that the mirror mount is covered. Straight bottom edge. It helps.

Today windshields come with the seal.

In the old days you got a naked edge and a roll of butyl tape. Nasty work.

Just inform the installer company that there might be extra work.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.