Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I've moved to a new city where I have to drive directly east into the sun in the morning and subsequently directly west after work. The lack of a shade band (blue tint) on the upper few inches of the windshield has become a huge distraction and incredibly dangerous for me on the drives.

I haven't found much on the forums here regarding adding a shade band of any type. I need something or the car will become undriveable during most of the year.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
9,878 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
In every car I've ever owned I've taken a piece of "foam core" that artists use in framing and cut out an upside-down truncated pyramid shape to wedge-fit between the rear-vew mirror and the ceiling. It covers only the area in-between the sun visors and works wonders. I'll see if I'm smart enough to post a picture.

When I first had my G1, I had dark tint along the top edge of the windshield. It made me feel like I was sitting inside a very tiny, very dark cave. I hated it. But that's just me.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd rather sit in a very tiny, very dark cave than die because I ran into a cow in the middle of the road because I was blind. If you can find a pic, that'd be great. However, looking for something a little less ... DIY ... that won't be suspicious. And I don't want to look at replacing the windshield.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I drove east going to work for 25 years so I hear you on the cow--only for me it was crazy people at 70mph.

Unfortunately, I'm not smart enough to figure out how to post images without having an intervening website to link to, if that's even possible. I did a site-search and came up with, oh, about a bajillion hits. Perhaps somebody smarter than me can provide some advice.

·
Premium Member
9,878 Posts
What about a pair of "Tactical Sunglasses"?

·
Registered
75 Posts
The previous owner of my car worked at a car stereo and window tint shop. He used the Insight as his guinea pig. I have just the sort of shade strip you describe. Will try to take a photo tomorrow.

In the two months I’ve owned it I can’t remember it blocking the sun... but I can’t remember being blinded by the sun either. So it either works or the sun doesn't shine in Wisconsin in the winter.

Park

·
Banned
1,333 Posts
Go on ebay and type "windshield banner" and spend $10 on some vinyl. The end.

·
Registered
255 Posts
What I had on mine (and removed), you couldn't really see though unless the sun was shining right on it. I think it was blocking 70%.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Go on ebay and type "windshield banner" and spend $10 on some vinyl. The end.
That's *way* too easy.

I mean, if a search for "gearshift knob" gets you 57 hits, we gots a loooong way to go! ;]

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I did hours of searching around before posting here, so no need for sass.

Also, sunvisors don't cover the entirety of the top of the windshield. The sun, this time of year and 6 months from now, sits just above and to the right of the rearview mirror, moving through those areas not covered by the visors throughout the whole trip, blinding me in the process.

Sunglasses work, sure, but with Rx glasses, that's like 100x the cost of something more simple.

The tint posted by MparkH is pretty much what I was looking for. There were some posts online in other car groups that said that using these things can make it worse at times when new LED headlights shine through them, diffusing the light in ways it wasn't intended to block.

I can't believe the car doesn't have the blue shade band.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Also, sunvisors don't cover the entirety of the top of the windshield. The sun, this time of year and 6 months from now, sits just above and to the right of the rearview mirror, moving through those areas not covered by the visors throughout the whole trip, blinding me in the process.
A piece of cardboard cut to shape you can shove up there when you need it is the easiest thing.

·
Premium Member
9,878 Posts
IIRR, the original windshield in the G1 had a slight blue tint band? Has the windshield been replaced.

·
Registered
255 Posts
If you pm me your email address I’ll send you images of what I made. It’s not that bad and ‘way better than being killed by a cow!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
IIRR, the original windshield in the G1 had a slight blue tint band? Has the windshield been replaced.
Not that I know of. No shading of any type on the windshield. I've never had a car that didn't. Never really paid attention either until I couldn't see the road while driving. As the summer goes on, it'll lessen as the sun will be in a different place in the sky. But it's not fun at all.

·
Banned
1,333 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
So, I have the same situation down here in San Antonio. I figured out that the space between the visors was the real problem. If you search Amazon for “Glare Reducer” this comes up at about $8. You have to cut an arc at the top and to make the most use of it, you need to undo the rear view mirror. Other than that, it’s just some soapy water and sliding it around into position. It has been a major improvement!
If the sun is low, it does nothing, of course. For that I’d look into Willy’s visor attachment idea. Good luck!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts