Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple years ago on a trip thru the woods, I was hitting love bugs by the dozens per minute. well not to make too much of a mess, I waited till I was covered in them and tried to wash them off with the squirter. And nothing came out. Thinking I was just out of fluid, I stopped at Wal Mart to buy some, and they were OUT. (Just a clue as to how bad the area was). I stopped at a little mom and pop NAPA store and bought some for $2.50 ... Not real happy about that, but anyway, started pouring it in, and it almost immediately started coming up the neck of the filler. It was FULL all along.

I just kept driving, and collecting more bugs till I got to my 125 mile destination city, and had no choice as to pull into the Car Wash and blast them off, the entire windshield was solid black .... I was driving with about 5% visibility looking thru peep holes. LOL

And now that I've made a short story long.

I've looked EVERYWHERE for a fuse, and can't find one, and didn't assume blockage till I read a thread here, but I will check now. And I don't hear a pump running (trying) whith the engine off. The back sprayer works as good as new, and ASSUME is a different pump.

Any suggestions??

Has anyone changed their pump?? Is it hard? How much should I expect to pay if that is what it is?

·
Registered
922 Posts
The cheap troubleshooting method is:

1. Disconnect the hoses from the nozzles, and check for squirt action.

2. If water comes out the hose clean the nozzles with thin soft copper wire, after soaking in a solvent (alcohol, soapy water, mild acid, etc.).

3. I the above doesn't do it, check fuse (location in the owners manual).

4 If fuse is ok, check the pump at the washer tank (located in the front corner of the vehicle, attached to the bottom of the tank. Easy access by removing the the right air dam). It can sometimes become clogged with sand, dirt, or baterial scum.

If all of the above fails, replace pump. Generics or junkyard parts are usually a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I have this exact same problem. Front windshield washer squirter just quit working a couple of months ago for some unknown reason. Front wiper works though. I'm out of ideas and having to defrost/scrape the windshield all the time below zero weather here in MN is driving me nuts.:(

Checklist
The cheap troubleshooting method is:

1. Disconnect the hoses from the nozzles, and check for squirt action.
~Tried. No fluid coming out from the hoses.

2. If water comes out the hose clean the nozzles with thin soft copper wire, after soaking in a solvent (alcohol, soapy water, mild acid, etc.).
~N/A

3. I the above doesn't do it, check fuse (location in the owners manual).
~Checked fuse #3 under the dash and it wasn't blown. 1st row 3rd fuse closest to the back of the car

4 If fuse is ok, check the pump at the washer tank (located in the front corner of the vehicle, attached to the bottom of the tank. Easy access by removing the the right air dam). It can sometimes become clogged with sand, dirt, or baterial scum.
~Clear of debris. Fluid flowed through pump when I pulled the hose tubing.

If all of the above fails, replace pump. Generics or junkyard parts are usually a lot cheaper.
~Replaced the pump and still not working. Power doesn't seem to get to the pump as there are no noise or vibration on it at all when the front washer is turned on.

·
Super Moderator
5,146 Posts
Good troubleshooting so far. Next I would run a hot wire to the pump to make sure it pumps and squirts. Then I would check the wiring diagram and test whatever components (switches, relays, connectors, etc) are upstream of the pump.

Aren't there two pumps? Are you sure you're working with the front pump?

Sam

·
Registered
38 Posts
Good troubleshooting so far. Next I would run a hot wire to the pump to make sure it pumps and squirts. Then I would check the wiring diagram and test whatever components (switches, relays, connectors, etc) are upstream of the pump.

Aren't there two pumps? Are you sure you're working with the front pump?

Sam
Yes, there are two pumps. The rear pump works. Could you point me to the wiring diagram?

·
Super Moderator
5,146 Posts
It's right there on my kitchen table. I'm pointing in the general direction, but I'm 1,200 miles away, so I might miss it by a few miles. ?

I think there is an electronic copy somewhere on this site.

Sam

·
Registered
38 Posts
I hope I don't end up by your kitchen table looking for it :)

I tried tracing the pump's powerline buy it went into the left side fender. I guess I might need to remove that fender liner again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts