Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some evil little person decided to punch off my wing mirror last night :evil:

Is anybody able to tell me what parts I need to replace this? By the looks of things you take the door panel off and unscrew the mirror. The electric mechanism in it still works, but I'm guessing that I won't to just be able to replace the plastic outer.

Photos here

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/EdDearnle ... XwSi7SK8ko

Really , really annoyed about this :evil: :evil: :evil:

Cheers

Ed

·
Registered
466 Posts
yeah, some low life shattered the mirror glass on my kids camry the other week. ended up going to the dealer to buy a new mirror insert. i hate having to park a car on the street.

·
Registered
922 Posts
The mirror anchor bolts are located under a triangular cover that pulls straight out from the door. It is held on by two or three clips. removing the exposed bolts will drop the broken mirror

The whole mirror assembly is available from Majestic for USD $167.02 ~ 82GBP (painted no less!). index #1, product #209593 on this link.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=Insight&catcgry2=2000&catcgry3=3DR+DX+A/C&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=MIRROR

I would recomend checking internet junkyard sites first.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Majestic only sells parts for US cars (and probably doesn't ship overseas), and the poster is from the UK. The mirrors will be different because of the whole RHD thing.

Sorry about your mirror getting popped. That sucks. Good luck finding another one! It's easy to replace yourself, once you have the part (I popped one off my Honda truck once... doh!).

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Sorry to hear about this Ed. A similar thing happened to me (local ignorant chavs :evil: ) and from memory I had to buy a new wing mirror from the dealer. Your wing mirror itself looks intact - there may be a small possibility of just buying the connecting trim.

·
Administrator
12,270 Posts
US v UK

Hmm I'm not sure about the mirrors being different US v UK. Why should they be? If I sit in the passenger side I can still use the mirrors as if I was the driver.

The Price US v UK will be the most painful part, most things are at least twice as expensive in UK from the Honda Dealer. So the $167.00 quoted will turn into £167.00 minimum in UK sadly. :(

I have been investigating these US mail forwarding services, as the exchange rate is very good for us Brit's at the moment. :)

http://www.usabox.com is one. Basically they give you a US postal address and then forward stuff to UK, even with their fee it is still significantly cheaper than buying in UK. As $167 turns into about £83.00 at the moment, call it £100 with forwarding fee. A good deal cheaper than £167.00

Perhaps we ought to start a IC UK/US postal forwarding club?

Is there any kind US member who would take on the role of forwarding Insight parts to the UK for a fee?

Could be a little home money spinner ;)

So UK members order stuff to be delivered to our US friends address, he/she forwards it on via dhl/whatever, we pay forwarding fee plus $10.00 a parcel? How does that sound? Any takers? I would rather give by forwarding fees to a US Insight enthusiast than http://www.usabox.com ;)

The only Insight broken for spares in UK was rolled as far as I know, so don't know about the mirrors. Paul Andrews the rally Insight has it. Might be worth an e-mail. [email protected]

Peter

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. I called around earlier and basically the only people that can supply them are the Honda dealers. £166 plus tax :shock: , that's a grand total of £190 or $380. At least it sounds like it's easy to fix (thanks Kevin)

Good ideas about the getting parts in, but I think I'll just take the hit this time. Might be worth thinking about this in the future though as I've found Insight parts both expensive and difficult to get hold of in the past because there's so few in the country. Particularly with the dollar exchange rate the way it is at the moment!

cheers

Ed

·
Registered
40 Posts
This happened to me about 6 months ago about two weeks after I got the car. I'm now always on the listen out and keep a bat with a nail in it by the front door. I'll catch them next time.

Including tax £200 from a dealer a bit of a p1ss take really. I was lucky that a very helpful chap from the USA had a spare drivers side mirror in his shed that he'd bought just for the glass. Although it was the wrong colour, I was able to remove the triangular mount and rebuild it as part of mine.......but.....right hand drive and left hand drive insights have mirrors at different angles!

Sounds crazy, but to get the new mirror mount to fix properly, I now have to drive around looking at myself and passenger in the mirror as it will not face any further outwards. Lucky I'm a looker.

I know this might not help at all if you are choosing to buy a new mirror anyway, but search the UK first. £200 is what you've saved in fuel over the last two months!

Good luck with the mirror.

S;p

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I've just been to pick up my wing mirror...... which turned out to be a drivers side one. Passenger sides are out of stock apparently and have to be ordered in from Japan - 5 to 10 days they say..... and the rest, I'll add.

All this make me feel a little like that nuclear bloke in 'Heroes', but on the up side perhaps I'll test out how fast you can drive with your wing mirror gaffer taped on.

Also this has brought me round to the fact that I don't actually use my car much at all, so once the new mirror's in situ sadly I think my time of Insight ownership is going to end. Anybody got any ideas of where to advertise a 2nd hand Insight in the UK? Flyer the upcoming climate march?

·
Administrator
12,270 Posts
Selling

Ed said:
Anybody got any ideas of where to advertise a 2nd hand Insight in the UK? Flyer the upcoming climate march?
Online with Autotrader and E-Bay are the only way to really cover the country. Sad to see you are thinking of going especially with fuel going up up and away! :shock:

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Space Panda said:
I now have to drive around looking at myself and passenger in the mirror as it will not face any further outwards. Lucky I'm a looker.
:lol:

Ed - What is the year and mileage of your Insight? I might be interested.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
2001 Y reg (June), 53 000 miles. Might be a bit old for you Christian but it's pretty mint, at least apart from the wing mirror ;) I'll put it up for sale after Christmas - be great if you're interested.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts