Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed a pretty decent drop in MPG recently. I was wondering if maybe winter fuel was being rolled out, or if my driving habits have changed that much since I put my Bernie 2016 sticker on my car :confused:

·
Registered
943 Posts
Don't know about US. In the UK it's Winter blend from October 15th to April 15th. They have an intermediate blend for most of the rest of the year and a kind of peak summer blend for sometime around mid June to Mid August - art least according to a document I saw from Shell.

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
Definitely believe we are on winter blend now. My city MPG dropped about 5, and my last tank of gas was the lowest I have had since last winter.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Winter Fuel is 10% Ethanol, 20% Butane, 70% Gasolene

Gasolene = 32.4 MJ/L

Butane = 26 MJ/L

Ethanol = 20.9 MJ/L

For every 10L you buy instead of 324 MJ pure gasoline you get (7 * 32.4) + (2 * 26) + (1 * 20.9) = 227 + 52 + 20 = 300 MJ

or for E10 (324 * 9) + 20.9 = 291.6 + 20.9 = 312.5 MJ

So you should expect an 8% decrease in fuel mileage vs pure gasoline or 4% decrease vs E10 (which itself is 4% below pure gasoline).

Obviously, other things effect fuel mileage.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Winter Fuel is 10% Ethanol, 20% Butane, 70% Gasoline

So you should expect an 8% decrease in fuel mileage vs pure gasoline or 4% decrease vs E10 (which itself is 4% below pure gasoline).

Obviously, other things effect fuel mileage.
Thanks for posting this. I was unaware that much % butane goes into winter gasoline and this explains a few things to me.
The vapor pressure with warming butane may explain a transitory EVAP error code that crops up on my gen-1 car: sometimes occurring only in early springtime when temperatures get warmer.
This also may explain why the OBDIIC&C Gauge A/F parameter reads a value for stoichiometric ratio of only 14.3:1 vs. 14.7:1. [the MTBE, EtOh; C4H10, etc.]
fwiw: info indicates that the amount of oxygen contribution to winter fuel blend ranges up to 28% in some blends.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts