Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the north east, Philadelphia area, this past winter my mpg really dropped, struggled to get 60 mpg, most tanks were in the 58 mpg range, in the past average winter mpg was 64. My question is, did the quality of the gas drop that much or is my RE-92s with over 60k miles with good tread added extra drag? not sure if older tires increase rolling resistance. I have replaced the air cleaner and plugs with no change, I'm stumped at the loss, dropped my lifetime from 62.4 down to 62 with 312k on the clock over the winter.

·
Registered
190 Posts
This winter was really cold so I don't think your MPG drop is unusual. I'm in New York and saw a decrease as well. Also winter blend gas causes some MPG drops (so I've read).

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
The slush was pretty bad this year and my driving patterns changed to have much shorter trips. I was actually seeing low 50's in the worst of it, whereas I've previously seen tanks nearing 90mpg. I'm inclined to believe it's just environmental factors - perhaps traffic is worse?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Chiming in from North-Central Ohio. For me, winter mileage is always 10-15mgp less than warm weather driving (MT). Between the headwinds, ruined airflow, hauling around extra pounds of slush/snow/ice, and pushing through the dense air, it can't help but be.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My mileage always dropped during the winter but never went below the lifetime average, this year was a lot worse. I brought up the gas because a buddy of mine, based in FL, who drives an 90's chevy truck 40k miles a year noticed every time he came north his mileage dropped noticeably. Any recommended alignment specs to try out?

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Stay with the spec. alignments.

HTH
Willie

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I replaced the 2 oldest tires with new RE-92s and the gas mileage dropped right away, I know that is temporary but bummed. Put the car up on the alignment rack and it was out of spec. .25^ toed in but the adjustment nut was seized so soaking it every night with penetrating oil unless somebody has a remedy for that, I did hit the tie rods with some heat and no go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It is common to have lower mileage in colder temperatures. I think it is related to the density of the air.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Here's another reason winter mileage might be less. This is what my car looked like this morning for my commute home!

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts