Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just finished my first Canadian winter with our CVT Insight and our lifetime mileage took a bit of a hit, as expected. It dropped from 64.2 to 60.1. I ran 165/65/14 Blizzak MZ-03's but only on the front. Tires were 40 psi all around.

Anyone else in snowy areas find their numbers dropped in the 5% range? And how would one achieve better mileage in the snow & slush?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm thinking that you took a bigger hit because of the temp drop and not from the tire change. In NW Washington, my mpg dropped about 7 mpg, and the only thing different was the temp. Same tires, same oil, ....

·
Registered
274 Posts
I agree, lower temperature was probably more of a factor than the snow tires. I ran Nokian RSI's this winter and didn't notice any additional decrease in MPG besides what I normally experience during the winter running OEM tires.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
My single adventure in significant snow this winter was a fuel economy disaster. I suspect that the drag from driving in snow or slush is quite a bit higher even than rain.

If the problem is really the snow (not the temperature), then perhaps you might obtain some really narrow snow tires. Michelin has a rally snow tire that is only 112 mm wide, but its 614 mm diameter is bit bigger than the 571 mm diameter of the stock tire--plus you would need some 15" wheels. However, this would increase your ground clearance a bit and probably wouldn't rub on the fenders.

http://www.michelinsport.com/sport/fron ... 05&lang=EN

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking there had to be some ultra-skinny tires out there. How cool would that look? But I don't know if I want to buy yet another set of rims!

I agree the temp was the biggest factor but even with snows I saw my mileage drop. My November 70.6 mpg drive to work suddenly dropped to 68.9 simply with the addition of the snows.

I love the trucker-style cardboard rad cover. Can't wait to give that a try.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Winter + Snow Tires = Boooo

I doubt it was the snow tires alone but as for "Winter" and the cold temperatures, I for one couldn't agree more ... Booooo!

While we had an almost five inch snow fall several days ago here in the Poconos, over all the days and nights are now much warmer and I am seeing much improved MPG readings over my "regular" runs.

I'm guessing that this significant increase in MPG readings is due to the increase in temperature - not snow tires - as I went this entire Winter with the original four which came with the car in March of 2006.

Fred (Proud owner of "The Silver Bullet") :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pocono Mountains? That's where I went on my honeymoon.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Pocono Mountains? That's where I went on my honeymoon.
We get to see a lot of Canadians here, and yes a substantial number of these are young newlyweds, here on their honeymoon. Darn nice lot!

Fred / Proud Owner of "The Silver Bullet"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts