Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Saturday night we received the first snowfall of the season so its time to put on some winter tires

I have been faithfully using the Blizzaks since I owned the insight, but my tire guy is recommending

NOKIAN HAKKAPELIITTA 2 175/70/R14 (165/65/R14 are on backorder with no ETA)

I was considering the Michelin X-ICE, but when I described my frequent trips to Blue Mountain for snowboarding, he said the Nokians would be better suited for me in the deep snow.

Anyone had any experience with these? comments/suggestions

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Hakka 2s are one of the best deep snow tires,
but they are not nearly as good on ice as studless ice tires like the Blizzaks and michelin X-ice.

If you want deep snow traction Hakka 2 are great, but they are designed to accept studs for their ice traction.
IF you want the best ice traction without studs, the New Blizzak Revo 1,
Michelin X-ice or the Nokian RSI are the way to go.

Tire test comparing winter tires to all season tires on ice:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/winter_tire_type.jsp

Recent test of the best ice tires:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/bs_blizzak_revo1.jsp

Nokia winter tires:
http://www.nokiantires.com/newsite/tiresub.cfm?cid=1&sid=1

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Make sure to carry a tow rope (don't use just any rope or chain)
And carry a shovel.

·
Registered
130 Posts
On the subject of towing, my girldfriend's Insight came with a little bumper damage, and is apparently missing the tow-hook cover and the tow-hook.

I stopped by my local Honda dealership and their parts dept told me that I could only get a new tow-hook cover with an entire new bumper, which ideally I would end up replacing soon, but is currently out of my budget. AND they apparently couldn't find the part number for the tow-hook.

Anyone have any idea where I might be able to find either of these items online? I've done a little digging on my own and have found zip, but I figured if any one would know, someone here would.

Thanks in advance for any help!

I honestly hadn't thought to put a tow strap in her car, but Kansas snows are often sudden and pile up fast so it would be a really good idea! Thanx

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I don't trust Consumer Reports Tire Testing methods because they don't give details on their technical findings.
But they somehow managed to rate the Michelin X-ice tires as excellent in deep snow and the Nokian Hakka 2 as average in deep snow compared to the other winter tires:

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203953&page=6&pp=15

·
Registered
58 Posts
Tow Hook-replacement parts for member bpapa9013

The parts you are looking for are availiable from a dealer that knows how to look parts up ! The tow eye bolt(hook)is part #205369 lists for $6.29.The tow eye hook front bumper cover is avaliable in your body color,part # silver-209613,red209614,blue-374222,list $11.74 .

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Well, damn, I guess I know where not to go for any more advice about the Insight....(small town honda dealership!)

From now on I'll make the drive into Kansas City, I actually sort of know the owner of a Honda dealership there (through a friend of my mom's friend etc...)

Muchas Gracias for the links!!!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I got my Nokian Hakka 2's installed yesterday

The size is actually 175/65 R14

The tread is much deeper then on the blizzaks I Usually get, and they are a bit on the loud side. But so far on drive pavement they feel very compitent

I will let you know on a big snowfall how they handle

·
Registered
5 Posts
Vredestein Snowtrac2 winter tires

I visited a tire shop in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada seeking Blizzaks for my Insight and the owner introduced me to a Dutch tire manufacturer called Vredestein. These are quite common in Europe with high-end cars and they make a winter tire in the Insight original equipment size called Snowtrac2. The technology includes a 'soft' 'sticky' material that sounds similar in theory to Blizzaks and they have two 'worn-out' markers, one for winter use and one for general use. The Vredestein pamphlet I read also claims these tires are 'low rolling resistance' claiming reasonable fuel efficiency. This sounds appropriate for the Insight

I have been a Blizzak fan since their inception. I will be trying out the Vredesteins' this winter in Ottawa (real winters btw). A future posting will follow after some real-life testing.

·
Registered
466 Posts
i put verdestein snow tires on the front of my 78 plymouth horizon. MAN did they grip!

then i went to florida in the spring and got stuck in the soft sand. they dug me into a nice, deep hole :) right up to the floor pan.

great tires!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Here is a link to the Vredestein homepage:

http://www.vredestein.com/

If you click on "Which tyre suits my car?" under FAQ you can select the Honda/Insight/Insight1.0 to see their selection.

I wanted to direct link to the insight tires, but it is a PHP site so no dice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
winter tires - change of plans

I don't know quite how to say this .... but instead of buying the Vredestein Snotrac2's for my Insight as I indicated, I purchased a 2006 BMW 325ix. Mind you, I still plan to get the Vredesteins for the BMW! So the 2000 Insight will now be up for sale in Ottawa along with its' massively upgraded, yet stealth, audio system. It is a sad moment for me as I loved the Insight, it is a truely high-performance car that was designed by passionate engineers. The Insight project at Honda was definitely driven by creative spirits and not by accountants. As a Canadian, I can tell all of you that the Insight is just fine in winters, carrying the ultimate battery and having an above-average cabin heater. I would hold off using the Insight during the rare 12-inch snowstorms, but cold and slippery/icy roads are not an issue. I even used the car during Alberta minus 40 degree cold snaps (same number in F or C) and it worked just fine.

Enjoy your Insights all

Roman

·
Registered
130 Posts
Be sure to list your car on the forum in the buy/sell category!

I'm actually interested in details!
A flight to Alberta and a road trip home would be fun!

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
bpapa9013:

Word of advise on the interest in a vehicle from across the border:

Search the forum for some other threads on the subject, there may be issues with warranties, as well as licensing concerns. Check with your state motor vehicle registration authority as to what you need to bring in should you acquire such a vehicle. I would go so far as to get copies of the paper work if possible and visit with them and nail them down on the specifics. The better half was the local tag agent for some time, and I've heard lots of war stories on this subject. Even state to state can be a mess. Military personnel buying vehicles overseas is another nightmare.

Just a thought and good luck.

Randall

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yeah, I hear you about the foreign car buying. I off handedly mentioned that I had seen several Insights for sale in Canada and my dad gave a horror story about a friend of his in the Air Force who bought a motorcycle in Germany and had a nightmare trying to get it licensed when he brought it home.

I think it was a Ducati or something, (according to my dad) he ended up having to get a letter from the head office of Ducati US stating that there were no functional differences between the German and American versions of the bike. Apprently all the differences were with the OEM lightbulbs which the guy just swapped out for DOT approved versions no problem. But it still took him like 9 months to get it all ironed out. :shock:

So I consider myself warned! But like you said I would hammer out a specific procedure for this with the local Treasury (licensing & prop. tax) before hand!

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
bpapa9013 see:

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=3687

for another members failed attempt to import from the other direction (from U.S. to Canada)

Briefly summarizing; it seems that Honda CA will not go to the added difficulty of giving individuals the needed letter. There are several modifications required. How American Honda inc. would handle the situation in reverse is unknown :!:

HTH! :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
The other major factor I am taking into account while still looking into Canadian Insights is the fact that with the price range I am looking for, I will probably be looking for Insights that are already, or are nearly out of warranty to start with (prob 60,000mi+).

But on a better note I just found out about a rental company in L.A. that is apparently selling 3 or 4 used 2000/2001 rental insights that have around 50,000mi, so I am going to be hunting these for a while. I also have a friend that works for Enterprise Rentacar in their Midwest Regional Corporate office, so I will be checking with him about possibly finding a used rental fleet insight through him.

Does anyone know any specific things to look for when buying an ex-rental fleet vehicle? Besides just saying it is a bad idea! My friend that works for Enterprise has bought 3 ex-rental fleet vehicles well below the market rate for those cars and he has not had a single problem with any of them!

For the sake of topic continuity I will be posting a new topic with this question so please make replies there!
Things to know when buying an ex-rental fleet vehicle?
Thanks in advance for any info!!!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We had a pretty good snow storm last week and If anyone is interested the Hakka 2's (Without studs) were amazing, i am very pleased with these tires on the insight

1 - 19 of 19 Posts