Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent a lot of time last spring refurbishing old beat up VX wheels I bought used for $150 cdn. Lots of sanding, and a few coats of anthracite gray paint to hide the scars.

They are finally on and I love the look and the cushy ride of my 13" winter tires once again. Fuel economy does not seem to have changed.

I'm missing two H caps, but frankly that would be money wasted on the rear wheels hidden behind the skirts anyway.

http://216.95.165.34/Pics/Co/Insight/vxw1.jpg

http://216.95.165.34/Pics/Co/Insight/vxw2.jpg

If anybody around Montreal wants 13" black Civic steel wheels, I have a decent set of 4 available. And I have 165/65/14 Marshall winter tires I'm not using either.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
They look beautiful!
For those that don't know, 13" VX rims weight only 8 lbs each.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
They sure look great. Is the price high for old rims or is it a bargain. I would love to have something similar (but not now cause $$$)
What was the total price with the paint.

What is the tire size?

There are many H caps type at CGN autopart on DesLaurentides boulevard in Laval. $5 each (call maybe first)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tire size is 155/80/13 (Yokohama winter tires) and it rides just beautifully. I later saw another VX wheel set for around $200 cdn. So for mag wheels of such lightness, I think it's a good deal.

I believe those wheels are sought after by import drag racers who want to put them on the rear wheels of their Civics.

As for the total cost, well...maybe a can or so of wheel paint and a couple of rotating sanding wheels & some sanding paper. The wheels did look a bit tired. The two worst looking ones ended up under the skirt, but they ended up OK anyway. Spent many hours working on them.

I also had to drive to Quebec City and back to get the wheels! But any excuse is good for me to go for a drive (in the Accord that time though...).

I'll stick with the two H's on the front only for now. Honda wants $37 cdn each for new ones, and used ones aren't available anywhere. I think that 2.5 inch diameter was only made for those wheels. Lots of 2 3/4 inch though.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Those look sweet! Thanks for sharing the pix. With the paint job you did on the wheels, that's actually one of the best-looking wheels swaps I've ever seen on an Insight. I will be on the lookout for a set of those wheels myself!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Look's very nice, exactly like the one i have and the same color !!!
The guy i bought the wheels from this past spring had painted them anthracite so brake dust would'nt show as much.

Btw, don't you find that 155-80-13 a bit taal and narrow as it would be sort of unstable on the road!
My tire size is 175-70-13 and it is quite less stable as compare to my Yoko. ES-100 185-60-14. The steering is so much lighter and there is that sensation of swing fom side to side. Then again the ES-100 was like driving a go go go kart......

·
Registered
124 Posts
Look's very nice, exactly like the one i have and the same color !!!
The guy i bought the wheels from this past spring had painted them anthracite so brake dust would'nt show as much.

Btw, don't you find that 155-80-13 a bit tall and narrow as it would be sort of unstable on the road!
My tire size is 175-70-13 and it is quite less stable as compare to my Yoko. ES-100 185-60-14. The steering is so much lighter and there is that sensation of swing fom side to side. Directional stability is much less, requires more involment. Then again the ES-100 was like driving a go go go kart......

·
Registered
42 Posts
If nobody's spoken for your old wheels and tires yet I'm interested. Left you a pm with my particulars.

John

·
Registered
64 Posts
i know its an insanely old thread; but did you notice any MPG increase w/ the install of the VS rims ?

i'd really like to know, as my *soon to be sold* civic HX has the same wheels, and i'm wondering if i should swap 'em to my insight or not

1 - 9 of 9 Posts