Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The splines on my driver's side wiper arm are destroyed. The splines on the shaft and linkage appear to be OK.

Has anyone had luck with a creative mod to solve this problem short of getting a replacement from a junkyard?

·
Super Moderator
9,573 Posts
The splines on my driver's side wiper arm are destroyed. The splines on the shaft and linkage appear to be OK. This was due to impact with a deer.

Has anyone had luck with a creative mod to solve this problem (short of getting a replacement from a junkyard?)
Maybe, park the wipers and use some JB Weld. Make sure the wiper arm is where you want it because you will never remove it again.

Short of that, have one of the numerous sellers of parts in the buy/sell section send you the wiper arm assembly just under the plastic cowl. You don't need to replace the motor.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Maybe, park the wipers and use some JB Weld. Make sure the wiper arm is where you want it because you will never remove it again.

Short of that, have one of the numerous sellers of parts in the buy/sell section send you the wiper arm assembly just under the plastic cowl. You don't need to replace the motor.
Thanks for the JB Weld idea. Thanks also for the tip on the buy/sell section! I'm new here and didn't think to look there.

·
Super Moderator
9,573 Posts
The splines on my driver's side wiper arm are destroyed. The splines on the shaft and linkage appear to be OK

Just noticed this part. Sounds like only the splines in the wiper arm are stripped. That is much easier. Just buy a wiper arm:)

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
Wiper arms are typically made with soft/pot metal to be sacrificial so the arm will strip and reduce the chance of damaging the wiper shaft, pivots, motor, etc.

I once spent about two hours with a very small triangular file recutting all the grooves in a wiper arm that was stripped. The splines on the wiper shaft were fine. Unless one finds such tedium fun, buying a new wiper arm is much easier.

·
Registered
334 Posts
no splines on new wiper arm?

The passenger wiper arm of my blue gen1 was flopping around. After reading this thread I examined the wiper arm and confirmed it had no splines on it -- it was worn and smooth.

So I ordered a new wiper arm 76610-S3Y-A02 shown as #18 here:
https://www.hondaautomotiveparts.co...l-exhaust-heater-fuel--front-windshield-wiper

It arrived today. Guess what?! It also has no splines!!!

It's dark now, so I will look at the splines on the wiper motor tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
9,573 Posts
It my guess that the splines form when the nut is tightened down on the soft metal, but that is a guess. What does the Service manual say?

The splines aren't sold separately to my knowledge. I don't think your source would have sent you defective parts.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Thanks @jime. I looked at page 20 of the wiper_washer.pdf, but it only shows removal of the wiper arms as part of Windshield Wiper Motor Replacement. No notes on installation.

I cleaned the wiper shaft splines with a pick and a wire brush, then installed the new wiper arm.

Water

Viewing the close ups, the wiper shaft splines are tapered so that the new wiper arm (which just has a smooth hole) easily fits over it. I think you guessed correctly, tightening the wiper shaft nut caused the wiper shaft splines to "cut" new grooves into the wiper arm. Will take a picture in the future to corroborate this.

[future picture placeholder]

Looking back, I probably could have just re-used the old wiper arm, as @Sean mentioned.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.