Honda Insight Forum banner

Wiper hits side of window pillar on high setting?

45K views 33 replies 13 participants last post by  WRobRich 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I am wondering if this is normal. When I put my wipers on high, and after wetting the window with windshield washer fluid, they extend so far that they hit the side of the driver-side window trim.

On slower modes, it doesn't go nearly that far and stops way before hitting. I also need the window wet for it to hit the pillar. But every time it extends up on high it will hit the pillar trim.

Is this normal? Can some of you wet your window and put the wipers on high and see if it hits the side trim?

In the picture below, the circle in red is where my wipers will hit.

Thanks, if this is not normal, is there a way to fix this?

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
This problem is typical for high mileage cars. The problem is caused by wear in the bushings in the wiper linkage mechanism. You can verify this by popping off the black trim strip immediately in front of the windshield. This will expose the wiper motor and the linkage mechanism. Then, by flicking the ignition off and on, position the wipers about midway. Now, you can manipulate the wiper blades back and forth. You will see the sloppiness in the bushings.

I replaced my linkage with that of a low mileage donor. You can check Majestic. I think the bushings are available. If not, buy a used linkage from one of the folks selling in the "for sale" section.

If there is no sloppiness in the mechanism, then likely someone has simply installed the wiper arms in the wrong position on the attachment splines.

Later: Forgot, you will have to take the wiper arms off to check the bushings, so check the installed position on the splines first. If that is good, you should actually be able to "feel" the slop in the mechanism with the trim still installed.

#5 ·
Replace the wiper rods

I had this problem a couple years ago, and simply replaced the two wiper rods. The ball-and-socket joints on the rods had become loose and weren't controlling the movement properly.

FRONT WINDSHIELD WIPER for 2001 Honda INSIGHT

#10 and #11 in the diagram. Under $30 for both and you're good to go. The rods come pre-greased from Honda and no other hardware is needed for the job, if you're careful not to break anything else while working under the cowl.

#6 ·
I had this problem a couple years ago, and simply replaced the two wiper rods. The ball-and-socket joints on the rods had become loose and weren't controlling the movement properly.

FRONT WINDSHIELD WIPER for 2001 Honda INSIGHT

#10 and #11 in the diagram. Under $30 for both and you're good to go. The rods come pre-greased from Honda and no other hardware is needed for the job, if you're careful not to break anything else while working under the cowl.
Perfect, thanks. I guess these rods contain those bushings which jime was speaking of?

#7 ·
Best way to actually see which bushings you need is to take off the arms, 12mm wrench, and the trim strip, then temporarily reinstall the arms. You can wiggle the arms as indicated before and see the sloppy bushings.

#10 ·
I should have done this project when it was still warm out.
My error.

Months ago, I left some tools on the windshield. When I started the car, the wiper blades swung down on the tools and - now their motion is sloppy. Both arms move in synch, but there's a lot of slop in the motion. I loosened something that drives both arms and need to identify it, after I get the wiper arms and cowl cover panel off.

#11 · (Edited)
I took off the plastic to get a better look at the wipers. You will break some white clips in the process.

Here is a video of where I think the play is. It doesn't make sense because the wiper arms seem to be held on with that white plastic cap. The driver side rod doesn't have play in it.

The white caps seem to have come off the rod and the rod just falls below the white caps.

There also doesn't seem to be a dust cover on one side, just a rubber washer under the metal rod as shown in the video. There is a dust cover on the other side of the arm. Should both sides of the arm have a dust cover?

What do you guys think? Two short videos to show the issue.

Thanks!

https://youtu.be/J0t2XlO2IZ8

https://youtu.be/fzW5Nt-R8Bc

#12 · (Edited)
replace the passenger side pivot bushing off the motor itself, use the yellowish bushing in the middle.

Windshield Wiper Linkage Bushing Dorman 49447 | eBay

both my cars had the issue, 1 kit fixed both for $3 and a trip to oreilley's.

it is not listed as fitting our cars, but all you need to do is use a flat tipped screwdriver and work the bushing in from the locking tab end first.

#14 ·
actually it's caused by the bushing breaking completely, but yeah it is a common problem and one you will start seeing more of.

#15 ·
Yup, after thinking about it for a long time, I decided to just buy the 2nd arm and replace both. I figured the other one must be on its way out.

The passenger side will probably wear and break first, like mine has, because it is pushing two wipers arms while the driver side is only pushing 1 arm.

#16 ·
actually, the bushing right off the motor itself is the only one i have ever seen have the issue. after that point the others only have to deal with half the stress.

#17 · (Edited)
Finally got around to replacing both sides of the linkage. I would say it isn't the easiest job if doing it for the first time/

You definitely need to remove the 6 small bolts and take out the ball joints, and snap the cups on with this removed. Once you remove those 6 small bolts the whole linkage can come out easily if you have the cup removed on the driver side which attaches to the motor.

I replaced the driver side linkage arm even though it wasn't broke. Probably should have just left it as it seemed fine.

After installing the new arm on the drivers side the linkage is tighter than it was before, harder to move the driver side linkage with the driver side removed. I assume this is because the plastic cups are newer and fit tighter to the ball.

When I removed the plastic shroud that goes over the linkage I broke two clips. This wasn't an issue but the plastic is slightly up a couple of mm at one point and the water flowing off the windshield will run more easily under this.

Does anyone know if this will be an issue? I know it isn't supposed to be waterproof, but this does allow a lot more water to flow under that plastic.

I could always just easily seal it with silicone there.

#18 ·
naw, i have 1 broken tab on each of my cars so it doesn't sit perfectly flush. even in the spots without broken clips it still doesn't always sit perfectly flat anyways.

#19 ·
fyi, here's some info if you're in a pinch. I started having the same symptoms as insightbuyer - wipers going too far on high, etc. Unfortunately this started happening not long after I had taken my linkages apart and lubed the pivots. I think it's possible I put the linkage between the motor and the first pivot on backwards - the rod ends are a bit different, possibly for clearance. I think the end of the arm with an "A" attaches to the motor shaft (not positive, but that's the way I re-installed this second time, opposite what I had last time).

In any event, the nylon bushing at the motor pivot was broken. I didn't want to wait for a part so I checked out my local parts stores. Autozone didn't have anything, but NAPA had something that was similar. Turns out it works more or less fine - a little difficult to press into place, but once installed it fits near perfect... The part is called "wiper linkage bushing," part number 675-1596. The box says it's for a Nissan... It was $7 for two bushings...

If you can order something more exact online and wait, then maybe that's the way to go. But if you're in a hurry, this part works...

#21 ·
fyi, thought I should update this thread and 'roll-back' what I say about this quick fix Nissan wiper nylon bushing/socket thing, that goes on the ends of the linkage arms (see below). It has fallen off the ball, detached, twice now, so this is only a quick fix say if you're on the road and your wipers fail. Otherwise it's not a suitable substitute for OEM...

In any event, the nylon bushing at the motor pivot was broken. I didn't want to wait for a part so I checked out my local parts stores. Autozone didn't have anything, but NAPA had something that was similar. Turns out it works more or less fine - a little difficult to press into place, but once installed it fits near perfect... The part is called "wiper linkage bushing," part number 675-1596. The box says it's for a Nissan... It was $7 for two bushings...

If you can order something more exact online and wait, then maybe that's the way to go. But if you're in a hurry, this part works...

#20 ·
I fixed mine with the Dorman 49447 alternate part from post #13, little trick to help you from destroying the new bushing is to use a screw driver to lift up the 4 tabs and then using wire cutters trim off about 1/8" of the tab. After that you can work them into the metal arms, bit of work making them go in rounded part first but can be done.

#28 · (Edited)
I just ordered both sides new linkages from an online honda store and it fixed my problem 100%. Its cheap enough to just replace everything there new in my opinion.]

Wipers work like they were new now.

I'm not sure what the fix entails but if you are going to spend the trouble opening everything up and breaking the clips when doing it, might as well just replace everything back to stock configuration and new.

I don't know how the fix works but at the time I decided against it.

#34 ·
Do you remember (after 3 years!) which online Honda parts supplier?
Thanks!

#30 ·
Part numbers for rods appear to be:
76540-S3Y-A01 Rod Unit A
76550-S3Y-A01 Rod Unit B
I cannot venture to say which is driver's and passenger's, but will attach the diagram.
It is taken from the defunct g1parts.com website (courtesy wayback.archive.org).
#10 is Rod A.
#11 is Rod B.

Attachments

#32 ·
The rod with both bushings facing the same way joins the two wiper arms and the one with them facing in opposite directions joins the motor to one of the wiper arms, so they can't be mixed up. Both are no longer available from Honda in the UK - it's pretty disappointing how many parts are obsolete.

#33 ·
The rod with both bushings facing the same way joins the two wiper arms and the one with them facing in opposite directions joins the motor to one of the wiper arms, so they can't be mixed up...
Maybe out of the box they can't be mixed-up, but there must be some way they can be, cuz I'm pretty sure I did at one time. Maybe because I removed both arms and I removed a plastic joint-end? I recall the arms could go either way, they could be interchanged, and the difference was only very subtle...

hmm, looking at that diagram, now I'm wondering if maybe I got something else upside down (or if it was like that before I messed with it). Or maybe both arms can reach either of the center pivot points, so it's not entirely clear which arm attaches to which pivot point.

I think I'm gonna have to take that apart again and take a look, some day...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.