Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 2000 has developed sloppy wiper syndrome :-( ( I live in Seattle where it rains allot and proper working wipers are a critical necessity.)
After an exhaustive search, I have discovered that every on line supplier of replacement parts has discontinued this critical wiper linkage part. (Specifically the right side linkage part # 76540-S3Y-A01.) I looked at several threads in the 1st-Gen forum where people have adapted other non-Honda wiper bushings for this use with limited success and would prefer a proper fitting part.
My question here is this... Do any other models of Honda cars use the same plastic bushings as Insights in their wiper linkage (?) and could these be interchangeable with the Insight wiper linkage end bushings ? I would guess that with some effort one could remove the bushings from a different car's wiper linkage rod and reinstall them in the Insight linkage. I was thinking perhaps the linkage for a difrent model of car could be still ordered new from Honda and the plastic bushing ends swapped into the Honda insight linkage.

I guess we are getting to the point in history where Honda is starting to discontinue many critical parts for 1st generation Insights :-( !
I suspect this will soon be an issue for every Insight owner as all cars are reaching the age where these parts are deteriorating to the point of needing replacement.
The other possible solution here is some enterprising soul could actually have these plastic bushings reproduced and sell them as nearly every insight on the road today will soon need them.

-Michael

Motor vehicle Line Font Parallel Auto part

·
Registered
2004 Blue 5 M/T
67 Posts
I had this issue 10 hours from home right after I got my insight, I ended up buying every bushing they had at the parts store and just trying them all, I found that if your arm is slightly wallowed out from the bushing being absent for a while, the generic "GM and some nissans" wiper bushings fit very snugly, but they did fit. It's been since April of this year and its still working! I did find that it would pop back off if I didn't grease it up first.

·
Linsight Designer
4,129 Posts
Very common problem. The plastic bushing design is horrendous. It's another one of the 'intern' parts (along with the trunk latch clutch, etc).

In an effort to solve this problem for the community, a few years back I tried several different bushings, custom 3DP designs, etc... nothing worked long term. A few bushings lasted maybe half a year, but they all failed during heavy rain... so finally I just purchased a few replacements, which have been working fine for a couple years now.

I'd love for some other bushing to work with the OEM linkage... maybe @Shane M can provide a part number for his solution?

·
Premium Member
2003 blue CVT
169 Posts
megazip.net HQ in Japan with distributors elsewhere including Delaware[?] sez they have this part $16.90 not in stock in US but shipping available $26+\- If I remember correctly.
More details on site

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
megazip.net HQ in Japan with distributors elsewhere including Delaware[?] sez they have this part $16.90 not in stock in US but shipping available $26+\- If I remember correctly.
More details on site
- I am going to try to order from Megazip.net and see what happens. I ordered two of them one for now and one spare. I will report back here when the order arrives (or not)...
-Michael

·
Registered
2004 Blue 5 M/T
67 Posts
Very common problem. The plastic bushing design is horrendous. It's another one of the 'intern' parts (along with the trunk latch clutch, etc).

In an effort to solve this problem for the community, a few years back I tried several different bushings, custom 3DP designs, etc... nothing worked long term. A few bushings lasted maybe half a year, but they all failed during heavy rain... so finally I just purchased a few replacements, which have been working fine for a couple years now.

I'd love for some other bushing to work with the OEM linkage... maybe @Shane M can provide a part number for his solution?
I believe the part I had success with is Dorman part #49452. It definitely didn’t fit exactly correctly, but it’s aIl I could find at the time, I didn’t expect it to last but so far it’s been working since April. I tend to not use my wipers on the maximum setting unless it’s seriously pouring, and time will tell if it actually lasts. The main thing is that these are available on the shelf at most parts stores, so they’re very easy to get.

I should add that the first one I used popped right back off, but the second one I greased up the ball and this time it hasn’t had an issue since. They’re definitely slightly bigger on the outer side than the original one, so I think they’d work better on an arm that’s been worn out by being used with no bushing, as mine has been. I had to use channel locks to get it all popped together.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I have the same issue and tried to see if bushings would work but the arm is worn out. Maybe I could get a friend to make these but I am not going to hold my breath as they have other pressing issues. Maybe if we had a group buy we could contact a place that would see the value in running off a few hundred extra pieces to make it worth their while.

·
Registered
2004 Blue 5 M/T
67 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Here is Lyger's post from 2017: link

"... you can use the bushings from Dorman help kit #49447. the bushing with 4 fingers will fit, just you have to install it from the open end by working each of the 4 fingers into the hole, it will not press through the opening from the top side."

Hopefully these pictures will explain it better:
White Jaw Font Headgear Sports gear

I also used a long-nosed vise grip to "soften" the bushing:
Hood Bumper Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Wood

It took some effort to get the bushing into the hole, and I also used a flat screwdriver and a hammer to tap the "fingers" into the hole.

I also read that some members used a heat gun to further soften the bushing. I didn't have one, though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts