Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Honda Insight CVT, 2001 Honda Insight MT, 2000 Honda Insight MT
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to identify an added wiring assembly attached to an IMA battery that I have (this was on it prior to me getting it). The car has the Plug and Play MIMA setup, but this looks like a different configuration.

I initially thought that it was a grid charging system, but connections don't make sense to me. And if it is part of the PNP MIMA setup then I am not sure what is connected to the HV plug.

So if anyone knows what this is, then I would appreciate your help in identifying it. I want to identify it before I connect my Prolong harness to grid charge the battery.

The wiring harness start with the Danger HV plug wraps around the side and half way around the back (black split loom tubing wire cover), then turn to orange split loom tubing at the back with additional wires going to a circuit board. And finally around the other side and is connected in two places (orange split loom tubing).

I have attached pictures of the wiring assembly.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

·
Registered
971 Posts
Photos of the circuit board?

·
7,223 Posts
That's Mike's grid charger harness.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Eli,

Thanks for the assist. I wanted to make sure I'm thinking about the same person, you're referring to Mike Dabrowski, correct?

When I looked up Mike Dabrowski on here it shows he hasn't been online since March 2019 and saw the discussion that he had moved on.

I did a search, but didn't find any of Mike Dabrowski grid chargers for sale on here. Would it be a better bet to remove the wiring harness and associated circuit boards and replace with the Prolong harness? I already have the Prolong discharger/charger (I've had it for my 2003 Insight).

Thanks..

·
7,223 Posts
Correct.

I believe that Hybrid Automotive sells an adapter so that you can plug a Prolong charger into Mike's harness. Otherwise, yeah, you can just remove Mike's harness and install the Prolong harness.

Reactions: HawkI

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Eli,
Thanks again. I don't see an adapter on Hybrid Automotive's website, but I'm going to contact them and check.

If not, then I'm hoping it is easy enough to remove the harness and replace it. Appreciate the quick response and suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
8,848 Posts
What Eli said, with one small omission. Mike sold the rights to HybridRevolt. They are still producing and adaptation of the original Dabrowski Genesis charger. HybridRevolt basically eliminated the charger testing of the PTC circuit and hardwired the fan control. Otherwise the two chargers are the same. I think they sell and adapter for the plug and so does Hybrid Automotive for the Prolong.

Jim

Reactions: HawkI

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jim,
Thanks. I'm guessing when you mention the adapter that it is an adapter to the "newer" HybridReVolt grid charger, is that correct? (or is it an adapter to use the Prolong system?)

I went to HybridReVolt's website and saw it is $800 for the charger, if I didn't already have the Prolong Deluxe Reconditioning Package (charger/discharger) then I would probably get the HybridReVolt system. But since I do have the Prolong system, if they do not have an adapter for the Prolong system then removing Mike's harness and install a Prolong harness might be the option I use. And it makes it easier if all my cars use the same system.

·
Super Moderator
8,848 Posts
Yes, changing the harnesses would be your best option if you can't get the adapter an adapter :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts