Honda Insight Forum banner

With warm weather using A/C

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  JimmyHiggins 
#1 ·
Our temps are getting in high 80's F here in Central PA. So yesterday and today I turned on the A/C in Econ mode.
I was very happy to see only a very slight effect on milage. I suspect that the warm weather is having a positive effect on my lean burn which is offsetting any decrease in mileage from the A/C.
I am still getting about 58 mpg average. :D
My Insight is about 3+ months old and I love it!!!

#2 ·
OK, I'm in "da 'bugh" and I can't get higher than mid - low fifties without the A/C on... I know that my car is having issues with the assist /regen, but I would think that in suburban traffic, in hilly conditions, I could get upwards of high fifties/low sixties...I usta-almost-was a hypermiler in the flatlands of North Carolina. My lifetime high was 'bout 72 mpg.

Are my electrical issues depressing the mileage that much?

#3 ·
psuinsight said:
Our temps are getting in high 80's F here in Central PA. So yesterday and today I turned on the A/C in Econ mode.
I was very happy to see only a very slight effect on milage. I suspect that the warm weather is having a positive effect on my lean burn which is offsetting any decrease in mileage from the A/C.
I am still getting about 58 mpg average. :D
My Insight is about 3+ months old and I love it!!!
The history of mileage with my 2000 Insight has shown using the AC at the second lowest setting at 65 degrees works both in cooling the car and not hurting mileage. In fact, using the AC on most cars these days (when I say using, I mean not blasting), will give good mileage on non-stop and go driving conditions.

Oddly enough, I have had trips, when not using the AC, where I got even better mileage. This leads me to believe there are other issues like wind that have significant contributions to the MPG stat.

As far as driving temperatures outdoors leading to better mileage, I find that my car really begins to spike up at about 70+ degrees outside. Once at that range, my mileage really improves into the 80+ mpg category if I try to get the high mileage.

Have fun with the new car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.