Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!
I recently got back from a deployment in Iraq and went to start my 2005 insight and it is having some issues. First is was 100% dead. The 12v and the 144v. I charged the 12v up and now it will crank but will not start. It will fire a few times when cranking but like once a second a cylinder will fire. I was able to get it to sputter faster than the 12v started twice with ether but then it died out.

Any advice on how to get this beauty back and running?

Thank You,
Elijah
2005 Insight 330,000miles

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am in Michigan near ionia.
I will check the ground straps this week some time and report back.
I will also pour some additives in the tank and a little fresh gas (have a habbit of keeping a full tank) if that doesn't work will try out my gas stealing skills haha.

Hopefully I can report back this week. Thank you all for the advice!

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,918 Posts
Please include your Location in your Profile.
Here are the ground locations:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok guys had time to replace the grounds and the starter relay wire today. The battery ground I cleaned up, replaced the one from the steering, replaced the big on from the trans and the last one I cleaned the contacts. So it will crank but not start. I did not fully drain the gas but added fresh 7 gallons. Now I also pulled the plugs (about 30k on them) and they were wet. I sprayed them with carb cleaner. I also turned off the ima battery to see if that was part of the problem. So far it will only crank.

I looked up some codes on the car and found 3 of them. P0113 which is air intake sensor. Had this problem before and replaced the sensor. It never affected the starting though.

A p1446 and p1570 which I am not familiar with. Would these cause it to not to start?

Any more advice?

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
I don't see full DTC sheets for either of these, but they're listed in the list and have a similar name/brief description as P1568 (66): Battery Module Individual Voltage Input Problem.* It has to do with the voltage being read on the 10 'voltage taps', which connect to pairs of IMA battery sticks.

The possible problems these codes point to shouldn't prevent the car from starting, yet they'll disable your IMA system and the car won't start off the IMA motor...

Since your car sat for a year it's likely, almost certain, you've got empty sticks/cells/hodge podge of part empty part full, which can cause problems. The minimum you'd likely have to do to get the IMA up and running is charge the pack with an external charger ("grid charger"), at least bring the cells up off the floor, but probably better to do a full charge. You can check the voltage at the 'taps', which will help you determine just what state your pack is in, but it's not absolutely necessary - because most likely we'll just confirm that, yeah, you've got some emptiness and you need to charge with external charger...

But like I said, your car should still start off the 12V auxiliary starter, unless you've got some other problem, which it appears you still do... Did you check for spark at the plugs when you had them off?

*edit: Actually, P1446 has the same name/short description as P1449 (74): Battery Module Individual Voltage Input Deviation. P1570 is the same as P1568 (66).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok. I will look into a grid charger. Before I deployed the pack was fine (unknown age). It charged every bar and went down every bar so I assume it was fine at least. Hopefully the grid charger will save it for few more years.

It does have spark. Looked nice and blue and felt nice and shocking too haha. The way I did it was take a plug out and grounded it.

I just drained and filled the gas tank too. Cranked for some time varying the throttle and gave it few shots of starting fluid. Minus a compression check I'm a bit lost at this point.

It ran perfectly when I parked it so I assumed it may start hard but doesn't want to start at all.....

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,918 Posts
I would also recheck for a blown fuse.

·
Administrator
12,254 Posts
If you have spark and fuel and have tried easy start into the air inlet but have no firing then it's time to check the camshaft..

I think you can watch it through the oil filler. Is it rotating/moving when the engine is cranking?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good news everyone! I found the problem. My own stupidity. So... I was using brake cleaner for starting fluid.... turns out the type I had non flammable:cry:. So.... corrected that and after some sprays while cranking it very roughly started. Now it has very bad exhaust smell but probably due on my mistake. I figure it will be there for sometime. I also threw in some old plugs I had to see if that helped and looks like it did.

It is ideling really rough but that too I think will work out once o2 sensors get cleaned. It revs up and holds very well.

If I turn on the ima and let it idle charge will that damage the pack? Still haven't invested I'm grid charger yet (didnt want to waste the money if couldn't get started).

Time to put the mess I made back together and keep working on this baby.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,918 Posts
I would go ahead and let the IMA charge at idle. Then drive it a lot, without using a lot of assist and regen and see what happens.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Took for about a 7 mile around the block test run today. It runs great! Not going to lie freaked me out for a few minutes driving the way it handles. Been used to mraps and Humvees and my truck. Felt like I was sitting on the road. Haha.

I let it sit idle for about 30 minutes to charge then drove nice and slow. Went from the minimum charge it likes to hold to full real quick. Then took a turn used a little assist and ima light....

So looking for the best course of action here. Grid charger or new battery? Now I intend to keep this car until something is more cost effective. (So probably always have it).

If a new battery sould I go bumblebee referb or new? The max?

If grid charger recommendations? (I know there are alot of threads on this but most seem to be old at this point. Also reading them ran into some dead links)

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
hmm, so I take it you started it off the 12V auxiliary starter - with IMA switched OFF or ON? Then at some point turned the pack back ON (if it was OFF)? Basically, at what point did you turn the pack back ON?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I did get it started with the 12v starter. I had the switch off at that point. Then after it ran smooth I turned the car off. The switch on and then started the car again.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,918 Posts
On the last start did it start off the IMA battery or 12V battery.?
Have you read the IMA light? P-1447 or P-1449?
ALL long term Insighters should have a "Charger/Discharger".

1 - 19 of 19 Posts