Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks,

I have 173k miles on the car and had the software update about three years back. Last week the IMA light went on. The car continued to operate normally for several days. Then the regenerative brakes stopped working. The charge meter indicated full charge for several more days. It dropped to zero a couple days ago. I continued drive the car ... and now it won't start. This afternoon when I tried to start it it acted as if the 12v battery was low (ran rough), but when I restarted it, it ran OK. Here's where the strange part comes in. I made it home with headlights on, shut the car off and the headlights went dim (just a bit), started it back up and the lights brighten up. I was under the impression (from the forum), that when the 144V battery was gone (an assumption), the 12v battery would not be charged and that I'd have to pull the low voltage wire from the BCM in order to charge it; but clearly mine was being charged (right?) Just in case I put on the 12V charger when I got home, still wont start.

Funny because at any rate, I was planning to write the forum tonight to ask which connector on the BCM was the low voltage connector so I can operate the vehicle for awhile in gas only mode till I figure out what I want to do. Can anyone suggest how I can get my car running again in gas only mode?

Great forum, great group of folks, great car.

regards,
John

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Funny because at any rate, I was planning to write the forum tonight to ask which connector on the BCM was the low voltage connector so I can operate the vehicle for awhile in gas only mode till I figure out what I want to do. Can anyone suggest how I can get my car running again in gas only mode?
From this post here:

http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/modifications-technical-issues/12458-charging-12v-battery-no-ima.html

it seems like you keep the MCM and BCM connectors in place except you remove connector A on the BCM.

The same link may explain why your 12V battery is still charging. You should get the IMA code before disconnecting anything though.

Also, have you thought of contacting Ron of Hybrid battery repair if you want to recondition / replace the faulty cells of your IMA battery?

Where are you located in southern Maine? Do you drive a red Insight on 236 between Kittery and Berwick? I live in Somersworth NH....

JoeCVT = Just your average CVT owner

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've read that thread but I'll go back and read it again, JIC I missed something. (connector A?) Would that link contain how to retreive the IMA code, or how would I go about doing that? I have thought to contact Ron, still on the fence though. I live off of 236 in Eliot, but mine is silver. I've seen the red one and I think I've seen yours once or twice too, nice looking set of wheels.

A little more info, I charged the 12V over night. Won't start, I thought the 12V system was suppose to run a 12V starter in case the IMA battery was down. Maybe the 12V starter is gone?

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Have you checked the two main grounds under the hood?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good point, I'm so caught up in the IMA, I forgot Mech101. I'll check, thx

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are two body-to-engine ground straps located near the left engine mount, both are corroded to the point where they are hanging free; i.e. completely disconnected. Good call uhtrinity.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
There are two body-to-engine ground straps located near the left engine mount, both are corroded to the point where they are hanging free; i.e. completely disconnected. Good call uhtrinity.
Yes, ground straps is a good call by uhtrinity and seems to be a common problem with the Insight. That will more than likely help with your 12v starter motor problem and perhaps have something to do with your IMA problem as well. I have a code reader but I heard that you can get the codes read for free at places like AutoZone and PepBoys.

I should have looked at your signature indicating you have a silver Insight :) I have seen a few in the surrounding area. I used to travel 236 every day about three years ago but I still use that route every so often.

JoeCVT = Just your average CVT owner

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Replaced the ground straps and we're up and running. Heard the 12v starter for the first time since I've owned the car, weird! That will take some getting user to. Thanks for your suggestions.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,888 Posts
Sounds like an old Dodge Dart with a "slant 6" starting, doesn't it.
Ground corrosion cables seems to be mainly in the NORTH EASTERN section of the USA.
Possibly caused by the SALT used on the highways in the snow season.....My opinion.

Willie

1 - 10 of 10 Posts