Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Call me crazy, but threads like the "best miles on a tank of gas" got me thinking about the opposite. As it is, my mileage suffers because of several short trips throughout the day rather than a couple long commutes. I end up having to defend the car when talking to family and friends, swearing that others routinely best the EPA estimate, and I just don't get the best results from a hybrid due to my current driving needs. I'm of course still using a TON less gas than someone who commutes 100 miles RT a day, but it seems everyone is always focused squarely on the "MPG".

Anyways, with the temps hitting 90 here, I think after my next fill up, I'm going to keep econ off (and if necessary, put it in Secondary (S) mode) to keep the A/C from cutting out, and drive it more aggressively. That's not to say I'm going to intentionally try to keep the revs high or floor it after every stop, but drive it a little more like I drove my previous cars, but not quite how my brother drives his Saab 9-2x Aero :D

This way, when someone asks, I can give them a high (personal best is 44 on a tank...sad, I know) and low number (TBD) and call it a day.

...maybe I've just been watching the Discovery channel too much and have been subliminally influenced by the ads for Bear Grylls' new show, "Worst Case Scenario" ;)

I'll report back with my findings in a while...it can take me over a month to get through a tank of gas :cool:

·
Registered
100 Posts
ive gotten down to 20 mpg on some stretches so its doable.
driving uphill with battery exhausted and flooring it will kill mpg really quickly.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, there aren't any hills here to speak of (although on a bike, you'd swear that there is not a mile of truly "flat" land ;) ), but axing auto-stop for the sake of A/C is what will probably have the biggest impact over a longer period of time (at least a full tank).

I don't expect to see anything new that hasn't been covered before, but maybe this will be a "what not to do" thread :D

·
Premium Member
946 Posts
Driving 40 or 50mph in a toad strangling rain got me only 38 mpg in a gen1. I had been getting 60mpg behind a semi(it was raining so hard I had trouble seeing the road) but pulled off to get a gallon of high priced gas to get me home. I began to think I should have got more than a gallon! On my own I had to plow the water on the road hydroplaning once. I did make it though. That's the worst mpg I've seen from the Gen1.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
My worse til the winter was 44 leaving it idle with the ac on and driving with it in sport mode. Last winter til I added a grill block I got 43.

The recent warm snap got me 47 and 200 miles at the half way point of the tank. Since it cooled back down I was still able to break 500 miles below the low gas light came on.

Setting the ac to LO and use of sport mode are too great ways to lower your fuel economy.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Call me crazy, but threads like the "best miles on a tank of gas" got me thinking about the opposite. As it is, my mileage suffers because of several short trips throughout the day rather than a couple long commutes. I end up having to defend the car when talking to family and friends, swearing that others routinely best the EPA estimate, and I just don't get the best results from a hybrid due to my current driving needs. I'm of course still using a TON less gas than someone who commutes 100 miles RT a day, but it seems everyone is always focused squarely on the "MPG".

Anyways, with the temps hitting 90 here, I think after my next fill up, I'm going to keep econ off (and if necessary, put it in Secondary (S) mode) to keep the A/C from cutting out, and drive it more aggressively. That's not to say I'm going to intentionally try to keep the revs high or floor it after every stop, but drive it a little more like I drove my previous cars, but not quite how my brother drives his Saab 9-2x Aero :D

This way, when someone asks, I can give them a high (personal best is 44 on a tank...sad, I know) and low number (TBD) and call it a day.

...maybe I've just been watching the Discovery channel too much and have been subliminally influenced by the ads for Bear Grylls' new show, "Worst Case Scenario" ;)

I'll report back with my findings in a while...it can take me over a month to get through a tank of gas :cool:
I'm not sure how useful this approach will be for several reasons:

(1) People with most conventional cars don't really KNOW what their mpg is. Most people don't bother to track their tanks, and most conventional cars don't have all the extensive fuel economy displays (instantaneous, average, leaves, etc) and controls (AC Econ, sport) that hybrids typically do. So you are often dealing with what they imagine their mpg to be. Or their car's EPA rating, which most people assume to be what they will get no matter how they drive.
(2) Because of their downsized down-powered engines, hybrids are more sensitive than conventional cars to how they are driven, driving distances and conditions, etc. In optimum summer conditions on long highway trips, I have gotten 110mpg in my Insight-I, but headwinds and pouring rain or heavy city traffic drops it to 50-60mpg, a factor of two. For the Insight-II, journalists at the press launch got 65-78mpg on a 16 mile loop (CleanMPG Previews the 2010 Honda Insight-II - CleanMPG Forums), which also drops by nearly a factor of two in lousy conditions as reported in this thread.
(3) If you want a lower limit for a tank, you're going to have to drive lousy for quite a ways. Not easy. Probably harder than driving economically for a whole tank.

When people ask, it might be simplest to quote your average LMPG (lifetime) and then give the range between your worst and best tanks.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So you are often dealing with what they imagine their mpg to be. Or their car's EPA rating, which most people assume to be what they will get no matter how they drive.
Oh, I know. My friend seems to think he can get 17MPG in a full size pick-up truck while towing a fifth wheel! :roll:

(3) If you want a lower limit for a tank, you're going to have to drive lousy for quite a ways. Not easy. Probably harder than driving economically for a whole tank.
Yeah, I'm not intentionally trying to lower my tank average ;) I'm just curious to see what happens if I stop letting auto-stop do it's thing in the summer and also drive it like a "regular" car, what will the impact be.

I've actually already kind of started (it's getting hot here!) at half a tank, so it won't be very accurate. But, so far I've almost found that getting up to speed quickly in city/suburban streets and then maintaining that speed and coasting to the next light seems to have little negative impact on MPG versus creeping up to the speed limit, religiously following the "under 2000RPM" axiom. It certainly gets me to where I'm going faster! :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
But, so far I've almost found that getting up to speed quickly in city/suburban streets and then maintaining that speed and coasting to the next light seems to have little negative impact on MPG versus creeping up to the speed limit, religiously following the "under 2000RPM" axiom. It certainly gets me to where I'm going faster! :)
I've found the same thing. Getting up to coasting speed a little quicker and then going into "coast mode" comes out very near the same mpg a more gradual start gets me...and the bonus is that it does save a little time.

·
Registered
605 Posts
An alternative to trying to get poor mpg, might to just forget the mpg and drive normally but hard. That is use the ac to make it cold inside, accelerate faster, pass other cars, use less space to stop. Check the fun, danger, in / out of the cool, and mpg factors for a whole tankful; then compare. When I did this I was suprised at how good the hard driving mpg was ....high 30's to low 40's vs the mid 50's I can get when making the high mpg effort. THEN you can ask if its worth it ! !

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
I was driving around the inner hizzie with the ac set to 68 in sport mode.Got 26mpg per the screen for the ten miles I drove. I ended the tank with my usual driving at 52mpg.

I use to wonder why prius owners always passed me in my super charged tacoma. I see why if driving like that still nets decent fuel econonmy.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I use to wonder why prius owners always passed me in my super charged tacoma. I see why if driving like that still nets decent fuel economy.
....Reminds me. Back in '07 my wife and I were cruising the two lane Hwy 101 just North of here. We were traveling our ususal 60 mph in the 55 speed zone in our new Insight 1 getting our usual 57 mpg summer mileage. All of a sudden there is a hot sports car with a Honda name plate in my rear view mirror. At the next available space the car moves into the other lane, accelerates quickly and zooms on past. It too was a gen. 1 Insight, but it had California plates. Gosh he must be getting 40-45 mpg !

·
Registered
186 Posts
Over the weekend I was driving in my friend's 2010 Prius. He was driving like a normal driver so I asked what mpg's he was getting. He said about 36, and he seemed ok with it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
An alternative to trying to get poor mpg, might to just forget the mpg and drive normally but hard. That is use the ac to make it cold inside, accelerate faster, pass other cars, use less space to stop. Check the fun, danger, in / out of the cool, and mpg factors for a whole tankful; then compare. When I did this I was suprised at how good the hard driving mpg was ....high 30's to low 40's vs the mid 50's I can get when making the high mpg effort. THEN you can ask if its worth it ! !
Yep, that's basically what I'm doing. I'm not doing dumb things that I know will get bad mileage, but am driving it more like a regular car. Basically I:

- have ECON turned off and A/C set manually. I'll open the windows if it's cool enough, but we're pushing 100 degrees here already, so auto-stop is out for a while.

- get up to speed relatively quickly, at least with traffic, hold it at 5-8 over the speed limit and then cruise/coast to the next stop. If there is someone behind me, I'll feather the throttle a bit to slow the rate of decent, but of course I get less regen this way.

- try not to stress over MPG. I used to watch the instant MPG screen more than the road! Now I set the screen to the battery/fuel usage display, or leave it off.

That's about it, I don't put it in "S" mode, I don't floor it from stops or wait to the last second and slam on the brakes...just "regular" driving. I'm only half a tank in, so...we'll see what the net result is.

·
Registered
605 Posts
- try not to stress over MPG. I used to watch the instant MPG screen more than the road! Now I set the screen to the battery/fuel usage display, or leave it off.
To not stress over mpg, its probably best to leave the screen off.

If ya got to stress over it, here is a tip. Aim for "free wheeling" while at cruising speed. This may improve mpg some with minimal effort on your part.

That is, with the screen in the battery/fuel usage display see if you can cruise with no arrows going in or out of the battery. Arrows going into the battery slow your speed, arrows going out of the battery mean arrows going into the battery later which will require more gasoline ....reducing overall mpg, or regen brakeing .....requireing driving effort / planning.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Finally got the low fuel light yesterday and filled up. I was kind of surprised that the MPG for the tank was 37.3 (calculated, not MID). This was a full tank without ECON turned on and no auto-stops (need A/C here).

I mainly kept the MID on the battery/energy-flow screen and drove it normal. Although I didn't end up driving it as hard/aggressive as I thought I might, I certainly didn't hypermile.

For comparison, the previous tank with ECON on was 40MPG (again, calculated), so the range, at least for my particular driving scenario (avg. trip distance, terrain, etc.) is not nearly as large as I thought it might be.

Maybe I'll just bump up my tires from 38 to 40psi and recover some of the losses that come from idling for the sake of air conditioning :D

·
Registered
605 Posts
Maybe I'll just bump up my tires from 38 to 40psi and recover some of the losses that come from idling for the sake of air conditioning :D
That just might do it ! !

1 - 16 of 16 Posts