Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Inline with the Honda Civic hybrid news:
Calif. Woman wins small-claims suit against Honda over Civic hybrid’s promised fuel economy - The Washington Post

Anyone tried to get a "normal worst case mpg" (normal driving routes, conditions)? I've had occasion to turn off the econ mode, use the paddle shifters, and generally step into the throttle more than needed but I've never intentionally tried to get a "bad tank" just to see how bad bad was. (I've tried several times to get "good" tanks.) Apparently Honda argued that, among other things, the people complaining about the HCH mpg were heavy on the foot.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Inline with the Honda Civic hybrid news:
Calif. Woman wins small-claims suit against Honda over Civic hybrid’s promised fuel economy - The Washington Post

Anyone tried to get a "normal worst case mpg" (normal driving routes, conditions)? I've had occasion to turn off the econ mode, use the paddle shifters, and generally step into the throttle more than needed but I've never intentionally tried to get a "bad tank" just to see how bad bad was. (I've tried several times to get "good" tanks.) Apparently Honda argued that, among other things, the people complaining about the HCH mpg were heavy on the foot.
I don't think I could do it myself because it's not my driving style. I drive like grandpa. I'd let my girlfriend do it because she does not know how to drive efficiently at all. One time we took a trip and she drove there and I drove back. I've always gotten between 48-52 MPG round trip. She got 37 MPG(with econ) there and I got 50 coming back. This is all MID of course. Subtract 2 MPG for actual. You don't need to turn off econ to waste fuel. When you gun it, econ is pretty much overridden.

I think the paddle shifters, to downshift, is hard on the tranny so I don't use them.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
I drove to VA Beach and back n 4 hours with a washing machine in the rear. I managed 36mpg and almost 300 miles.

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app

·
Registered
389 Posts
I only get about 38-42 mixed driving.. in California of course. It's nearly impossible for me at least to achieve a mpg higher than 43 mpg overall.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Depending on where I drive, I can and have gotten as low as the high 20's with ac on full blast(98+ Degrees), econ off, heavy stop and go traffic,etc. However, I didn't try to get low mpg. Maybe I should sue Honda?:)

·
Registered
943 Posts
My worst tank was 39 mpg (that's UK so 33ish US mpg) Generally cold starts, short journeys lots of hills and I was experimenting with driving style.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I have a first gen insight, 2001 cvt. I bought it in October with only 19k miles on it, lifetime mpg only 19. If it was driven daily the thing barely had time to warm up. For my commute I am getting in the low 60s.

·
Premium Member
2,391 Posts
I went nearly 2000 miles on a road trip getting 40mpg with an aerodynamic disaster strapped to the back of my car on the interstate. Worst tank of the trip was 258.1 miles out of 8.201 gallons or 31.47mpg. ...with a 1st gen Insight.

This is what your mileage may vary is all about. Last summer I went 1500 miles off of 20 gallons travelling a round trip vacation from Minneapolis to Detroit, Michigan. YMMV! Everything that quotes the EPA says it is estimated. The lady with the suit against Honda is simply an idiot. It's the EPA test that gives the numbers, not Honda. FWIW, the rest of the world usually rated better fuel economy than the US does.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Wow! 19mpg on a first gen!

I don't have an intentional, but:

Worst tank on my 1st -gen Insight was 58mpg or so (cold and rainy weather in January last year = massive stop and go in the DC-Baltimore area).

Worst tank on my HCH has been 49.2 mpg (MID said 53 damnit)... but my worst trip was 9 mpg for 4 miles, but that involved a long warm up with a lot of ice-chipping and a short drive through very bad conditions.

Sam

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
...worst tank was 68.2 mpg back in 2002 when I just had purchased my 1st Insight.

·
Premium Member
9,858 Posts
Welcome back Billy........

Willie

·
Registered
117 Posts
My "worst" so far is 60 mpg, but I'm a newbie...:)

I used to have an Acura Integra 5 speed manual that I tried to s-q-u-e-e-z-e out as much mpg's as I could, best I got there was 35 mpg's. My lean driving habits were derived from that experience. I even tried the HHO route, but caustic overflow to carb. put that to rest. I have to admit though...Hydrogen injection had that car running at its best...it was like adding 20 HP to the engine. There is definately hope in that area...water on the moon anyone?...:cool:

A couple of the mods from the "water for fuel" school of thought that are worthwhile here are the warm air intake and fuel heater to eliminate the downfall of mpg's in the winter months due tyo cold weather.

I'm seriously looking at those 2 mods above for now. There's a guy on youtube...I believe "150 mpg car" or some other name that's gonna try the HHO route, so I'm gonna be watchin' this guy...:D

bigjim56

·
Registered
649 Posts
i heard that honda reprogramed the ecu on all or most of the civic hybrids (when the owners would take them to the dealers) cuz they found out that the battery pack didnt last as much as they thout

they made ima help less.. reducing the mpg

i think if other civic hybrid owners sue honda they could probl win too

1 - 13 of 13 Posts