Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an '00 with 162k miles on it. The CEL & EngMain lights have been on from the beginning. I was told when purchased about this and the sensor from the dealer codes read Catlytic Converter under threshold and the O2 sensor bad. I can purchase software for $122 to plug into my laptop. Will that tell me more? Is it worth it or just go to Advance or Penske Honda? From reading the posts it looks like I need to replace both sensors which I think are #208726 & 7. Is that correct? I have the manuals on order. Today while driving the IMA light came on. The bars were low which meant I was charging. After a bit of driving, the IMA showed a full large and at that point the light came on. I have not thoroughly checked the vehicle since I am just driving it. I am hoping to get the service records from where it was serviced. What do you people recommend. Got 62+mpg on the test drive trip from Tulsa to Indy. My other transportation are my '85 Civics which I rebuilt so I am not afraid of getting my paws dirty.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Re: Worth getting software for reading codes and other quest

Hi AppleTree and welcome to the forums :!: :)

Additional code reading software can be helpful if it also has freeze frame data capability. Some "tougher" problem codes can't be diagnosed without it :!:

IMA and other non engine warning light codes _require_ most manufacturer's _proprietary_ software for this advanced feature. It is available from Honda but the cost last time I checked is in the thousands :!: :shock:

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=901

Strictly by the codes and sometimes they _will_ lead you the long lap around the barn (read $$$$) you'll need both CAT's and the primary O2 sensor. However, anything that decreases combustion efficiency can push a well worn, but otherwise functional CAT to code.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
243 Posts
A few points...

* IMHO, any OBD2 reader/tool is worthless without the service manual. In my not so humble opinion, just about any work on an Insight is foolish without the service manual.

* A cheap OBD2 tool will just let you read and reset the codes. A good one will let you read several engine parameters real-time while driving around. A very good thing when diagnosing complex problems.

* A while back, I posted up a simple 1-wire jumper trick which will get you get IMA, ECM and other codes by counting blinks on the dash lights. The ECM codes are NOT standard P-codes. This trick will not reset lights.
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3161

* 2000 Insights primary O2 sensor is Wide-band model and much more expensive than your typical O2 sensor.

·
Registered
344 Posts
If you like "getting your paws dirty", I suggest software for your laptop.
I purchased the software and cable from http://www.obd-2.com/
It has very good support by the developer and he is constantly improving it. It is interesting to see the different operating conditions of the many systems during a daily commute. It will record the trip and you can go back and view different points of interest. It will read and clear codes and gps can be integrated as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts