Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked around and couldn't find another topic relating to this one. So I decided to post about it... Anyone have any answers partaining to this?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Not really. Though it would help some. Problem is that two seater cars loose value for this reason, KIDS. Car owner purchase's new two seater car. Owner gets married and deals with the little car :( A few months/years later KIDS :cry: Owner then has to have a bigger car and needs one pretty quick. This is why you can find good deals on any two seater car. The only time a two seater car has good value is if its a drop top and only during the summer.

The fact is most Americans with a family need a bigger car. Not a big fat SUV but at least something with 4 seats.

Next thing that hurts the value is repair. the used car buyer doesn't want a car that will be expensive to repair.

my .02

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Gas prices are going up, aside from temporary dips that convince some it is not so. The value of a used Insight will go up. It is a limited production vehicle and will always have apeal, especially after production ceases (let's hope that isn't for a long time). Look at the NSX; 2 seater, aluminum body, hard top, expensive to repair, expensive to insure. Today a used Honda NSX costs about the same as a new one did when it was introduced. When gas hits 5 dollars a gallon, and it will be sooner than most people think, you had better believe that the value of an Insight will go up! So take care of it and use synthetic oil so that the engine lasts as long as that aluminum body.

Kip

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
I saw prices aproximately $4.00 CDN ($2.90 USD) around here this summer for regular! I believe that the Brits are already paying close to $5.

Check out this link http://www.evworld.com/databases/showne ... s011003-09 which is an article about the REAL cost of gasoline. It was eye opening for me.

It is scary. We need to get the word out about hybrids for the sake of the world's economy. Judging by the success of the new Prius, people are starting to listen.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
b1shmu63 said:
I believe that the Brits are already paying close to $5.
We Brits pay around 79 pence per litre. You can do the maths! Around 50 pence per litre of that is tax.

I should point out that when the price of gasoline does increase significantly in the USA then people's driving habits are unlikely to change a great deal. That is the experience here. People will still insist on driving a mile down the road to the store rather than walking or cycling. Consumers will find the money to keep driving their cars, even if it means their diet suffering, for example. Do not underestimate the stubborness of Mr & Mrs Average to resist change. However, that is not to say that Hybrids won't become more popular! :)

·
Registered
804 Posts
If the price of gas went up and stayed there, people would probably drive nearly as much in the US, but I'd bet the sales of fuel-efficient cars would increase considerably. It started to happen before Gulf War II. I wish people would get serious about fuel economy before an economy-crippling oil spike happens.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Çhý££ íñ thé Ãír:

___I was speaking to another forum member about Insight resale prices and he mentioned the Insight’s wholesale pricing appears to be almost directly correlated with the price of gas in his experience. With gas hanging around $1.60 to $1.75 in my neck of the woods, I have a feeling there are those that will place more weight on higher mpg ratings at time of purchase today then when gasoline costs < $1.50. I do indeed believe there is a good correlation between gas pricing and the Insight’s resale value.

___On another note, I believe this countries economy barely sputters and is more then likely in recession when gasoline begins averaging > $1.80/gallon across the nation. In a recession, new car pricing doesn’t go anywhere but down but a new or used Insight would probably still hold its own given its unique mileage capabilities.

___B1shmu63, I sure hope we don’t see $5.00/gallon of gas anytime soon as our country and most others would probably be as good as dead given Detroit’s Big Three, the Airlines, Steel, and especially Ground Transportation would be harmed to the point of not coming back. Even my Landscape business would be harmed given no ability to raise prices with fuel costs almost tripling. The economic downturn across many industries would probably bankrupt the US Government in the process. It scares me to even think about it :(

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:1lk6n0cm][email protected][/email:1lk6n0cm]

·
Registered
46 Posts
What??

b1shmu63 said:
Gas prices are going up, aside from temporary dips that convince some it is not so. The value of a used Insight will go up. It is a limited production vehicle and will always have apeal, especially after production ceases (let's hope that isn't for a long time). Look at the NSX; 2 seater, aluminum body, hard top, expensive to repair, expensive to insure. Today a used Honda NSX costs about the same as a new one did when it was introduced. Kip
Kip I agree with you that the value of Insight might go up with increasing gas costs.

But, an Insight is far from an NSX. I doubt that Insights would hold its value like NSXs would (actually, NSX does not hold their resale value that well). An Insight is a $20k econobox that happens to be manufacturered in the same plant as the S2000 and NSX, but it is not an exotic like the NSX. 10 years from now, there will be new hybrid technology and people won't seek Insights. But, an NSX is Honda's exotic... there will always be someone looking for it as the performance of that car is hard to match even after 10 years.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I agree the NSX is totally different from the Insight, being an exotic sports car. I have to politely differ on characterizing the Insight as an econobox as the aluminum body and hybrid powerplant makes it pricier than other cars in it's class.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
I have had the occasional dubious pleasure of driving an original Civic an original Mazda 323, a Nissan Micra, and even a Lada (which drove like a cross between and a forklift and a garden tractor). :lol: I think I'm qualified to say that the Insight is eco......, econo......., but definately not econo-boxical.

I have a relatively rare laminated print of a black NSX hanging on the wall by the computer. Two of my friends have owned NSXs. Depreciation was not a problem for them. Insurance, and tires were!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts