Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only asking considering how much we covet our Insights here.

I’ve always wondered if I had to bail out and survive for a long period of time, if the insight is in fact a capable vehicle to bug out with?

I mean with all the overblown panic that is going on with COVID-19, would you leave your beloved Insight behind in favor of a truck or RV with more space and versatility? Or survive solo and conserve as much fuel as possible? What would you change on your car to make it more capable?

Thought this would be a fun discussion in light of everything going on. Thoughts?

·
Registered
593 Posts
I'd take my Fit. I'd throw the two man tent and double sleeping bag with the double mattress into it along with an old Svea stove and a Bluet all fuels stove along with the nesting cooking gear. Clothes, water, dried beans, rice, dog food and gone. The Fit gets 40 MPG plus so it has that going for it along with all the internal space.

But, I'm staying home and going out rarely. This is not overblown. All of CA is closed down along with one or two other states and the cases of Covid-19 are rising exponentially. Paychecks for some folks are already stopped and DC is dithering about just what it is going to do. Out here in western Oregon I have gotten reports of local restaurants closing which do not expect they will reopen. I think this will get really ugly. I am glad we have the internet to stay in touch with those we know. I hope we all survive this and do not suffer too much economic damage.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
My wife and I had this very conversation last night. In the case of a zombie apocalypse or any other event where we'd need to flee Vermont for some reason (though Vermont seems generally unaffected by the current crisis), we'd probably take our Fit. My wife has been averaging near 50mpg in hers. It's a little harder to work on (smaller engine bay) but dead simple, reliable, and the internal space is unreal for something so compact.

Probably the biggest virtue of the Insight is that I already know it insight and out. Anything that can go wrong, I can probably diagnose instantly. Plus, my cargo volume is a bit expanded over your typical stock car.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Personally, I'd get me a 1974 Plymouth Fury. I had one as a geologist and had that doggone thing up dry stream beds and across alluvial fans. Drove over and thru so much creosote that it smelled like a phone pole when it got hot. Plenty of haul room, huge carrying capacity, and you can sleep across the bench seats. Nice, smooth ride, too.

·
Registered
431 Posts
My girlfriend and I were talking about this the other day, which vehicle we'd take if we had to "bug out". It really was between my Prius C and her CR-V. We decided on the CR-V...despite being a lot less fuel efficient and having fairly high mileage (210,000) it has more cargo capacity, simpler to work on/keep going if things broke, and it is more off road capable (although, we have taken the Prius off roading).

·
Registered
6,485 Posts
In the case of a zombie apocalypse or any other event where we'd need to flee Vermont for some reason....we'd probably take our Fit.... my [Insight] cargo volume is a bit expanded over your typical stock car.
Tell you what, when you flee from Vermont, leave the keys in the Insight, and I'll flee to Vermont to keep an eye on it for you... Love that cargo space.

I mean with all the overblown panic that is going on....
This is not overblown....
In my opinion, the panic IS "overblown," or at least it was. But once people panic it starts to justify panic in everyone else - panic becomes a seemingly rational response to other people panicking, rather than merely a counterproductive reaction to the real risks associated with C19...

I just read an article criticizing Elon Musk over some of his tweets regarding the pandemic. In one he said, "The coronavirus panic is dumb," for instance. The author of the article doesn't like this and makes it sound like saying panic is dumb is the same as not taking the risks seriously. Panic =one thing, risks associated with C19=another thing. One is dumb, the other is not...

Hoarding toilet paper WAS a dumb thing, but since people have panicked, and did it, maybe it's not such a bad idea anymore... I think there might be more reason to fear the panic and the fallout from that panic than there is reason to fear the virus itself. Maybe unless you're over age 60 or 70...

[edit, after Ecky's thumbsup]
Forgot to say: Insight would be good as a "bug-out" vehicle if it were only one person bugging-out and you expected to have to travel far and wide and camp out most of the time (such as in wild, with tent, etc). Otherwise, you'd be much better off with a van/larger vehicle, something with much more space, that you could sleep comfortably in, etc. The only advantage of the Insight is that, if gas were in short supply you could go a lot farther.

If we had an IMA electric motor-to-AC converter that would boost its utility, though. Add solar panel and we'd be set...

·
Registered
320 Posts
All I know is I don’t see nobody driving no Fits or Insights in none of those Mad Max movies!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts