Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last three tanks I've been getting an avergae of 58mpg. By tank, I mean around 9.5 gallons. Usually I have about 1 gallon left when I fill up, which is usually with one bar on the gas gauge and after driving approximately 8-10 miles after the gas light comes on.

My last tank I ended with 58.7mpg and total miles driven was 555 miles; fill-up was 9.5 gallons, so that means I had a tad over a gallon left in the tank (that's if everything is calibrated and accurate).

For those last three tanks, it was mostly city driving, mainly commuting to work. Some freeway driving that amounted to 14 miles on one tank to 80 miles on another. On a few hot occassions some very light AC usage.

This cuurent tank I've accumualted about 330 miles and 64mpg, but that's because I've been doing a lot of freeway driving. My last trip from point A in Los Angeles County to point B in Orange County yielded 76.1mpg after 38 miles. Average speed was 55mph when traffic allowed but in certain areas and situations speed was increased to 65+mpg.

I don't think I'm using any exceptional or technical hypermiling methods, but I do drive conservatively and do coast when I can. I'm wondering if the mpg numbers I'm getting are well within the CVT model or am I getting higher than normal numbers? What are you other CVT drivers getting?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would say you're getting very good mpg. I have a 2002 CVT with 81k miles a new battery pack, 45psi OEM tires, Mobil 1 synthetic. I drive 90% city and live in a hilly area, I consistently get 50 to 53 mpg with light A/C.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would say you're getting very good mpg. I have a 2002 CVT with 81k miles a new battery pack, 45psi OEM tires, Mobil 1 synthetic. I drive 90% city and live in a hilly area, I consistently get 50 to 53 mpg with light A/C.
Low 50s in hilly terrain isn't bad. I have my tires at 50psi.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I get low 50's on the commute - fairly flat but nothing much more than 40-50mph tops. Once a week I take to the motorways here in the UK and do 70 for about 130 miles. seems to vary with outside temp. The week before last on this trip I got 51.8. Last week only 48.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Without lean burn or other mods i think my numbers are almost the max the CVT can do. my drive seems to be almost perfect for high numbers. no head wind on the way to work, nice tail wind on the way home. 65mph roads i go 50-55 on since there isn't much traffic. And there are aren't to many hills to contend with.

I loved the CVT when i was driving it (over 20k miles in the past year, and it sat all winter) but since i got a MT i'm not sure if i can go back. so it looks like the girlfriend might be joining the CVT ranks.

Do you use much assist when accelerating? i would use light assist up to 27mph, and then try to accelerate up to speed with the MPG around 50-60mpg with no assist. depending on the situation of course. I'd say "normal" insight driving would get about 50-55mpg in the CVT. i drove it once in the early spring/winter and i think i had a 58mpg tank. the car just hated the cold.

Tim

·
Registered
160 Posts
The last three tanks I've been getting an avergae of 58mpg. By tank, I mean around 9.5 gallons. Usually I have about 1 gallon left when I fill up, which is usually with one bar on the gas gauge and after driving approximately 8-10 miles after the gas light comes on.

My last tank I ended with 58.7mpg and total miles driven was 555 miles; fill-up was 9.5 gallons, so that means I had a tad over a gallon left in the tank (that's if everything is calibrated and accurate).
Your numbers sound very good, I'm in the same boat with av6 and Mike. I typically see 51-54 mpg although it's been tougher this summer because they left the 10% ethanol in the gas around here. I drive too fast for optimum mileage, my typical speed on the interstate is about 75-78 mph (for 80% of my commute). Best tanks driving here have been 56-57 and I've only seen a couple in 2 years. Best actual tank checked at the pump is 59.97 and all that mileage was driven in Southern Ontario and Western NY. Once I get out of the Nascar training grounds I can shine like the rest of you.

Brian

·
Registered
265 Posts
I live in San Diego and have a similar hilly terrain, I drive about 25% city and 75% highway with light A/C use on really hot days and usually out at lunch which kills my averages.

With a 2001 CVT @196k miles, I'm now averaging right around 60mpg for the tank, best tank was 62mpg.

My best segment going to work is 65mpg and coming home is 70mpg but I usually end up closer to 62mpg to work and 66mpg home.

Tires at 45, fresh 0w-20 full synthetic oil, air filter, and will be changing the cvt fluid soon which should help.

The only half *** mod I run is taping up the upper grill inlet but it doesn't stay on for more than a few hundred miles.

On the freeway I usually hang around 55-60mph and draft when safe and possible. Usually the trucks are going faster than my prime MPG zone. I accelerate lightly using assist to get up to speed, then try to stay out of it. Approaching hills I will make a run on them and drive under constant load, but once my momentum runs out I'll use assist to hold my minimum safe hill speed (depends on conditions).

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2slow4u: Haha, love the name, reminds me of the 2fast4u plate I see advertised for Euro plates. I'm shooting for 60mpg all city or at least 90% city. Based on my highway driving, I can easily get over 60mpg per tank, but much of my driving is city.

av6stk: where in PC are you located? maybe we can meet up and compare cars.

·
Registered
18 Posts
That's pretty good mileage for the CVT. I average just over 50 MPG in mine most of the time. This last tank I've been driving for maximum MPG and am sitting right around 58-59 MPG with about 90% city driving. I've had to go out of my way to take the least hilly roads, but it's been working well.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I'm on track for a 65mpg tank this time around for my daily driving. Changing the CVT fluid helped for a few more MPG. My new best segment got bumped up to 72.6mpg on the way home.

It seems like I'm pushing the limits of this car for at least daily driving mpg numbers and to get much higher it will require some aero/weight mods. If conditions were just right I could probably average 67-68mpg for a tank with this setup and my commute, but that's not how real world driving plays out.

I know someone has put lowering springs on their insight here, but can't seem to find the user. I'm just curious what type of MPG gains they saw from that (closing the air gap). Also interested in replacing side few mirrors with cameras to get less drag.

·
Registered
76 Posts
A 60-62 average mpg is good and 67-68 would be fantastic . I would like to see a 15% improvement!

I have a 2003 CVT and live at mile high elevation (Prescott, AZ) with plenty of hills. Mainly city driving my current tank is displaying 59.6 mpg (the fuel warning light just came on). For the life of the vehicle (I have only owned it 3 months) the reading shows 58.0 over the 56,700 miles accumulated.

I am envious of all the 5 speed owners who are racking up really big numbers but I also appreciate the CVT for its simplicity. My wife also prefers to drive an automatic and getting the wife approval factor was important in my acquisition.

The Insight provides quite a bit of enjoyment for me in my constant quest for higher mpg's.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

My last tank. Average 61.5mpg with total distance of 590 miles, approximately 25% hwy and 75% city. Manual calculation came to 59mpg by dividing 590 miles by 9.95gals of fuel added. I was shooting for at least 600 total miles with this tank, but I didn't want to take a chance, and besides, I was passing by my usual fill-up station. Next time :p

·
Registered
470 Posts
is that a bar i see still lit up :rolleyes: ? tisk tisk, you still had atleast 40 miles left haha. I'm sure you'll get over 600 this next tank.

Tim

·
Registered
813 Posts
I posted a thread the other day about distance past the end. I always drive mine until the last fuel bar goes out. I have on numerous occasions driven 30+ mi past there.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
On average, I fill up after maybe driving 8-10 miles with gas light on. I didn't know you could still drive with no bars. But isn't that pushing it? Or even stressful? Once the gas light comes on at 1 bar, I feel a strong need to fill up asap. It comes from owning regular cars, I guess.

I wanna get that 600 miles/tank (which for me is usally around 9.5+gal) in all or mostly city driving.

·
Registered
470 Posts
stressful? You bet!
Well the 1st time it is. i was 40 miles from home and the fuel like came on. I kept going. Last bar went out and that was when you start to think "man i really wish i drove alittle better that one trip". most stressful part is trying to maintain or beat your tank mpg and hope your FCD is really accurate. But you only live once right? Us Insighters are quite the rebels aren't we? haha.

Tim

·
Registered
126 Posts
When I bought my car on the way home I managed 52.8 MPg at 77 miles.
The last week after I filled the tank I could only manage about 44.5 MPG at 160 miles. I guess it is mostly city driving but I just got the transmission fluid serviced and engine oil, I am also getting brand new tires so I hope this improves. My CVT 01 has 211k miles on her.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Driving at about 65 MPH on the highway, I can get about 63 to 65 MPG. AC will cut this to 58/59. At 60 MPH, with no AC, I can usually get about 65 to 70 MPG. At 50 MPH, I can get 80 MPG.

One of the keys to getting really good mileage in the CVT is keeping the transmission at its highest overdrive ratio. It seems to be difficult to do, but the way I do it is to accelerate to slighly higher than my target speed, then completely remove pressure from the accelerator, and GENTLY re-apply pressure. As GENTLY as possible. The computer thinks the load is light and shifts to the highest ratio. At slower speeds, the CVT seems reluctant to go into full overdrive unless I do this. IT makes a huge difference. I have done 75 MPG trips around town many times when traffic was light and I got lucky with the traffic lights. Otherwise, Around town, I usually average about 55/65around town in the cooler months. BUT.. I know the traffic light pattens and have become adept at hitting the greens a lot of times.

Summer in Austin Texas is BRUTAL on Insight milege unless you are masochistic. This means "Auto" on the AC, and this means getting 50MPG can be hard around town, and getting 60 MPG on the highway is about as much as can be expected. When the AC compressor on the Insight is running constanly, it REALLY kills MPG.

I use 5-20 weight oil, and I keep the tires at factory specs. The road where I live are rough. I tried higher pressures, but the ride quality was horrible.

Honestly, I did not think the savings in MPG was all that easy to see, and whatever small amount of MPG might have gained was simply not worth it. The M/T diehards would sacrifice virgins to stay in Lean Burn, but I don't have to worry about Lean Burn, and that is just as well, because I am not going to drive around in a car and be rattled to death (or baked by the heat).

The previous owner had a lifetime milege of 47 MPG. Mine is about 58.

If I lived someplace with moderate climate and flat roads, I think I could have a lifetime average over 60 MPG with no problem at all. It is the heat in Austin that holds me back.

·
Registered
126 Posts
One of the keys to getting really good mileage in the CVT is keeping the transmission at its highest overdrive ratio. It seems to be difficult to do, but the way I do it is to accelerate to slighly higher than my target speed, then completely remove pressure from the accelerator, and GENTLY re-apply pressure. As GENTLY as possible. The computer thinks the load is light and shifts to the highest ratio. At slower speeds, the CVT seems reluctant to go into full overdrive unless I do this. IT makes a huge difference. I have done 75 MPG trips around town many times when traffic was light and I got lucky with the traffic lights.

Thanks Eddgie,

I have a CVT and am going to have to try this out.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I know I can't hang with the M5 owners, but is this worthy of bragging for a CVT?

My most recent tank:

605 miles on 9.7 gallons--that comes out to 62mpg! Driving was about 50/50 city/hwy. This time my calculation matched the car's computer. After the "gas light" came on, I drove the car for 4.5 miles before I got gas. I know the 1 bar I have left means I have a few more miles to go. I usually like to get gas asap after the gas light comes on.

The previous tank was 590 miles, and the one before that was around 550 miles. It's going up, but can the CVT do better than 605 in mixed driving? I know it can do 700+ if I drove all freeway, but my driving involves city.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts