Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today going to work i got 72.8 mpg! radio and a/c blasting too! i usually hit 50mpg by the time i get to the highway. today it was 56. i pulled onto the highway behind a tractor/trailer doing 65 to 70. he did that all the way to my off ramp, with me several car-lengths behind him. no traffic problems. NICE! i usually get 60-65 no problem. i like this better :)

just thought i'd share.

andy g.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
someone??? i told everyone!!! :) (now they KNOW i'm nuts :) )

andy g.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
and now my first 600+ mile tank! 609.6 miles right after the last fuel gauge bar went out. filled up with 9.9?? gallons. put in as much as i could, not the usual "click off and you're done" routine. showing 62.2mpg on the dash for the tank.

not too bad, considering i keep up with traffic (in the slow lane), and dont draft unless a good opportunity presents itself.

andy g.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Congratulations! Looks great!

I have a bit of fear about this "fill it up as far as possible" theory. I tried it once (in a different car) and managed to flush out some gunk, clogging my fuel filter. I think it's better to just do as the instructions say and stop when it clicks.

Or, better yet, keep the car less than half full, to reduce the considerable weight of 5 gallons of gas--about 30 pounds... :idea:

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i just wanted to see how much i really had left in the tank. normally i let it shut off and thats it. as for running on half a tank....naahhh! i like filling up every 2 weeks :) i was used to filling up every 3 DAYS(!) with my jeep. for twice the money! yikes! much better now. :)

andy g.

G

·
I'm currently getting on average 75mpg in stop start traffic on a 6 mile run, which I'm pretty pleased with, running on sticky 185's too.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i cant see me getting better than mid 60s with a/c or mid 70s without. not until i MIMAize and/or turbo it. THEN the REAL fun begins!

andy g.

·
Registered
40 Posts
FIRST TIME OVER 70 LAST NIGHT! WOOO HOOO!

okay, that was a lot of caps. sorry. Anyway, last night on my way back to the NE suburbs of Detroit from Michigan State University, I got 76.3 mpg! I'm ecstatic. I called my partner, my parents, the friend who I was going to meet at the bar...no camera. It was about 80 miles. The five miles from the freeway to home killed it, though, bringing the average down to 74.9. I really need to figure out city driving (I'll admit I'm still new). Annnyway, just excited about that and needed to say something.

:) Everyone have a great day!

lindsay

·
Registered
105 Posts
Long as we're talking about how pleased we are, I'll mention that I drove my new-to-me '00 5-spd w/45000 miles home from North Carolina, where I'd flown to pick it up, to Wisconsin on Friday and Saturday, and managed 65.0 for the trip. I figured it was not bad, considering the mountains of West Virginia and surrounding areas, plus a completely novice pilot.

Yesterday I took it for a work trip for the first time and, for a Green Bay to Madison trip of 150 miles, got 83.1. Mostly 65mph, and just a brief draft behind a Yukon. :D - Pat

·
Registered
150 Posts
Seems a good speed

Mine seems to like about 60 +- mph. I think its when the second intake valve opens up and you get that extra power boost that helps maintain speed w/o using more gas. When I can nail the right conditions, I'll suddenly go from mid 50's to about 75+ mpg and then just cruise along. But usually it doesn't last too long before traffic, hills or something else kills it. :cry:

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"Does playing the radio affect mpg?" sure does..... if i forget to keep a third eye on the mpg bar. :?

and i finished another 600 mile tank two weeks ago. and this tank is at 642, with the tank mpg at 65.6. i will fill it up on my way home tonight. should take about 10.2 or so.

that makes a pair of 600s, and a 650. so far so good.

btw, it seems to cruise at 75-80 mpg w/o a/c at 60 - 65 mph. gotta pay close attention though. got 75 mpg going to work the other day, and it was 73 by the time i got home. i always lose 2-3 going home. maybe grade, maybe temps. hard to say, but its consistant.

i will post final tank #s tonight.

andy g.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok, heres what i got:

645 miles on 10.298 gallons. that works out to 62.63 mpg. the dash display showed 65.5 mpg. pretty close, i guess. in any case, there was more than enough gas left in the tank to get me to 650 miles, so i'm calling it 650! i actually would have gone several miles more, but the gas station with the cheapest price was right by my work, so thats where i went.

thats it for now. next up: 700 club!

andy g.

ps: tires had dropped from 50 to 45 psi over the course of this tank. back up they go in the morning.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well, i made it into the 700 club! 707 miles on one tank. showing 69 mpg. have not filled it yet. i expect it will take about 10.3 or so. and thats with a recal every day or two (new batteries on the way) and suffering through two traffic jams on the way to work. looks like 750 is possible.

woo-hoo!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts