Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just setting at the work computer today...we are gearing up to do an engine fuel test with 23,000 gallons of fuel. I got started thinking...23000gal x 60MPG...that would be enough to drive the Insight to the moon...and back...twice, back to the moon again and still have enough left over to drive around the equator of the Earth 5.4 times. 1.38 million miles total. :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
60? Sixty is low for an Insight. Rick would get 2 million, especially if he didn't hit traffic lights.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just used my lmpg and because it was a fairly round #. Suppose if you really worked at it, there would be plenty of fuel left for a couple more trips around the planet before coasting home on fumes.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
My LMPG is 70 but a trip in to town is 25 t0 50 miles typically and I probably do less than 10 percent city. You did congure up some neat images of an Insight flying through space for me. Guess I've got to get out more often. :wink:

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Coool mental image...

Earth to the moon and back would be a great trip to take, specially more than once... Although I think achieving Earth's scape velocity (~17,500 MPH) would seriously trash my lmpg... :wink:

I filled up today! I usually fill up around the first of the month (whether I need to or not :D ... obviously we don't drive very great distances in a month)... and as has happened before, someone usually comes over to ask friendly questions. Today, when I showed an older man my A-trip-tankful mpg ... 64.0 mpg ... he actually snorted before getting back in his Excursion :shock: ! Loooove our Insight... :D

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually...the escape velocity is ~25,000 MPH but only applies as an initial velocity if you want to totally escape the earth's gravitational field, forever...never come back (and ignore air resistance).

If it were possible to "drive" to the moon, you "could" do it at a leisurely 55MPH or what ever makes you comfortable...just the same way you could drive up a large mountain without needing a high initial velocity to make the trip.

OK...pretty far off any topic...I'll shut up now. :)

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Corey872:

___So if you are trying to save gas and you start at the earth surface using the driving w/ load technique, how fast do you think you would be going by the time gravitation of the moon overcame the gravitation of the earth ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:2m9uiw3n][email protected][/email:2m9uiw3n]

·
Registered
65 Posts
Corey872 said:
Just setting at the work computer today...we are gearing up to do an engine fuel test with 23,000 gallons of fuel.
Wow! What kind of engine are you testing? It sounds like a big turbine or a rocket motor. Will it fit in the open rear hatch of your Insight?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
xcel

If you were actually driving on some type of surface, the speed is pretty irrelevent. But, there is a crossover point (Had to look this up on the internet) along the way. If you can picture driving away from Earth, Earth's gravity gets weaker and weaker, while the Moon's gravity gets stronger. In effect, you are driving "uphill" to a point about 207,000 miles out from Earth (that is the crossover point) from there, the Moon's gravity is dominant and you are driving downhill for the remaining ~43,000 miles, so don't ride the brakes too much at first...you're gonna need them later!

Skypig

Actually it's a 3800 HP, 16 cylinder diesel locomotive engine. Every time the oil prices spike up, all the crack-pots come out of the woodwork with the latest fuel saving additive or device. Magnets, mixers, fuel catalysts, blue marbles, you name it. So I have to take a break from real research and test their schemes. Latest guy claims savings with his additive after "only" 5 tank-fulls...which happens to work out to the 23K gallons.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Let us know if those blue magnetic catalyzing marbles work! :wink:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts